New hood or repair? After someone has kindly stubbed out their cigarette on it! GGrrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
Well.....go out to wash my SL500, finish it...have a look around and notice a small melted cigarette sized mark on the roof....rubb my finger over it and it breaks up leaving a very small, new built in shower system.

I would like to swear rather loudly right now, as the car was also scratched on the bumper by some idiot with no parking skills. Thats 2 bits of damage in the 3 weeks I've owned it.

Now...I need to put the hardtop on, as I can see light from the inside.

My question is, do I need a new hood or can it be repaired, or will that look a mess?

I do need new plastic windows anyway and that was going to cost me a few hundred, so do I go the hole hog anyway.

I'm based in Brighton..any suggestions?

Thats the end of my open top motoring for a while due to some drunken / jealous idiot.

I think I will clear out my garage and put the car away....I can't afford a new hood every month.

Ian aka a very angry man!

Get a quote for new windows + the repair. A reputable hood trimmer will advise you on how successful / cosmetic a repair might be and give you a comparison costing for a replacement hood. I'm sure this type of damage/vandalism is fairly commonplace so I'll wager relatively " invisible" repair techniques are available. The clincher is the existing state of the present hood.

Well.....go out to wash my SL500, finish it...have a look around and notice a small melted cigarette sized mark on the roof....rubb my finger over it and it breaks up leaving a very small, new built in shower system.

I would like to swear rather loudly right now, as the car was also scratched on the bumper by some idiot with no parking skills. Thats 2 bits of damage in the 3 weeks I've owned it.

Now...I need to put the hardtop on, as I can see light from the inside.

My question is, do I need a new hood or can it be repaired, or will that look a mess?

I do need new plastic windows anyway and that was going to cost me a few hundred, so do I go the hole hog anyway.

I'm based in Brighton..any suggestions?

Thats the end of my open top motoring for a while due to some drunken / jealous idiot.

I think I will clear out my garage and put the car away....I can't afford a new hood every month.

Ian aka a very angry man!

Why don't these low life s*** try making their own way in life, instead of envying others who are making the most of their lot and getting on with it! :wallbash:

Try Polyfacto in Hailsham. Take the car to them, they know their stuff on hoods etc.

Well...as a makeshift repair, I've put a rubber bicycle repair patch on the inside, stuck on with some exterior black silicon and blobbed a bit in the hole.

It may or may not last, but I just dont want to put the hard top on!

Beter save some pennies and think about a new hood for the future, as I need the new windows anyway, as they have split and I can't see much out of them!

Right..better have a few beers tonight to get over the pain!

Ian

Try Polyfacto in Hailsham. Take the car to them, they know their stuff on hoods etc.
equally d-class in chobham, who I used to replace the perspex in mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom