New house build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
I happened to briefly mention on another thread (about a potential incoming E63) that I'm (trying!) to fund a new build that I've mostly designed and, to my disappointment, there was more interest in the house than the car :wall bash: What is this place!?!.....a car forum or cowboy builders? :D

So here goes, as there was some interest here's some detail on my (not so) little project which I have to say, I'm really excited about. Although it proving rather more expensive that I'd planned :( I'm sure this is childs play to some but personally, we've never done anything like this before and our last three houses have been relatively modest new builds on a typical new developments.

Now, building ones own house exactly the way you want it is a really exciting prospect, but something that I'd never considered seriously because I wouldn't know where to start, how to obtain the land, source builder etc etc....and I just don't have the time to research it properly.

Then last Christmas, we decided we should invest in a nicer house, given we really never loved the house we were in. It was actually harder than we thought because (despite living in the East Midlands, hardly the property capital of the UK) houses kept selling before we could even get ours on the market. And we're really glad that happened because the estate agent marketing our house put us in touch with a local builder in our village (which ideally is where we wanted to stay) who was about to start building a property in, err.....his back garden (he had a big garden). There are to be four houses, two have been built and he was about to start the third. It was (I feel) on the most desirable road in our village and we were just about early enough to design it how we wanted, which the builder was more than open to.

So.....our house went on the market. And sold in 4 hours :eek: We spent most of January and February liaising with the builders architect making the house just as we wanted (pretty much changing everything) and in March the build started. We moved out of our house in April and are now homeless (a necessary evil to help fund some of this).....well, we're living with in-laws until the house is completed, hopefully by end of August.

The design itself is fairly unique, about 2500 sq/ft with a particularly complicated roof (I like odd roofs!), an open plan living / dining area with a central, three aspect fireplace dividing the space. My intention is to have the wall above and behind the fireplace clad in real slate which is causing the architect and builder some challenge as they need to reinforce the wall and floor to take the weight!

Upstairs, we've decided on 4 good sized bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and what I hope will be a nice walk around galleried landing. It's really hard to visualise on the plans what it will look like in reality so we've taken a lot of steer from the architect....lets hope we like it eh! :crazy:

Garage is around 7x7m so will take two cars (unlike our last double) - this is despite having a staircase which will lead to a proper useable space above.

Spec is fairly decent as standard - underfloor heating, a very generous kitchen and bathroom budget (which I've still managed to blow past) - in fact, the builder has been utterly fantastic and is accommodating every single request and desire we have and because we doing things a bit different (e.g. a relatively daring fireplace) he's very ended in getting it right. Per square foot, we're also paying significantly less than other similar sized new houses being built by a national homebuilder ability 1/4 mile away...although we're definitely blowing any advantage on specification :rolleyes: The way I see it, if we don't do it now, it'll be harder and more expensive in future.

The amount of things to think of when you get the choice is significant - even simple things like the electrical design (lighting, sockets, connectivity etc) need really careful consideration.

So, enough talk, heres some photo's of progress:

The plans

IMG_2175_zpsisjvnbd4.jpg

IMG_2176_zpslwh6fedk.jpg

IMG_2185_zpsoqibyb6f.jpg

IMG_2921_zpsehrhdp9d.jpg

Before it all started

IMG_2081_zpsobeqiuk2.jpg

A couple of weeks into the build

IMG_2226_zpsmyfs7ahy.jpg

Unknown-9_zpsgoi2b6ao.jpeg

Unknown-7_zpsaiqbxs8m.jpeg

Unknown_zpsqdbdaxoj.jpeg

A few weeks into the build

IMG_2257_zpsmvxzebqj.jpg

IMG_2251_zpsnskplsgu.jpg

IMG_2255_zpsnqfa0oh3.jpg

A few weeks ago

IMG_2786_zps11ox0ptc.jpg

IMG_2789_zpsaqziu9vk.jpg

IMG_2792_zps7q1ggzcx.jpg

IMG_2793_zpsvqonsghg.jpg

A couple of weeks ago....

IMG_2905_zpsaztnwpdf.jpg

IMG_2911_zpsqqwmxwu6.jpg

IMG_2910_zpsneqwbthj.jpg

IMG_2912_zpsmvql4yct.jpg

IMG_2915_zpsep2nqwch.jpg

IMG_2914_zpscajjsjce.jpg

IMG_2919_zpsieiyftzv.jpg

IMG_2916_zpssc5s5nnn.jpg

IMG_2917_zpsxapavcjq.jpg

It's now actually almost ready for it's roof, which will take about 3 weeks to complete. At which point the builder reckons we could be in the house 6-8 weeks later :banana:

And thats it so far, happy to update photo's if anyone is interested as it progresses further into something (hopefully) more habitable looking!

Looks good.

My only criticism is the house is very close to the neighbours.

I like my music loud, but was not impressed when the neighbours son decided to start drum lessons in their garage a few years ago. :D

Very impressive. Quality looks good as well in my opinion.
Good luck with the rest of it.

Looks nice mate.

Two observations

Is the bed 1 ensuite a bath or a wet room. I personally would go wet room.

The ensuite in bed 2 has a tiny shower. Your architect must be a midget :D. I would have that changed in a flash :thumb:

Exciting times bud

Stuff the house. What will the man cave look like?

Pre-requisite for a new house build- floor space of garage, workshop, music room, home theatre and shed MUST exceed square footage of the main house.:D Very envious of anyone who has had the courage to make the dream come true; well done and hope your build goes well!:thumb:

Thanks for the kind comments gents :thumb:

Looks good.

My only criticism is the house is very close to the neighbours.

Yeah I guess it looks like that but I've got no view out that side of the house so I decided to give myself a relatively large open space down the other side of the house.

It was hard not to be tempted to fill the whole width of the plot! :eek:

Quality looks good as well in my opinion.

I'm not really an expert but I think it does too; brickwork (from the outside at least) is very neat.

Looks nice mate.

Two observations

Is the bed 1 ensuite a bath or a wet room. I personally would go wet room.

The ensuite in bed 2 has a tiny shower. Your architect must be a midget :D. I would have that changed in a flash :thumb:

Exciting times bud

Ah fear not, I'm on this! Both ensuites will be wet rooms (ignore the layout on the guest ensuite plan, that was just for illustration), all showers/toilets will be of the built in / minimalist type and should look special. Bathrooms are going well over budget but it's the one area where it really is important to get right first time.

Stuff the house. What will the man cave look like?

I suspect empty for quite a while :(

Very envious of anyone who has had the courage to make the dream come true; well done and hope your build goes well!:thumb:

I must say I'm not in a rush to do it again, at least not without leaving myself somewhere to live whilst it's being done!

It was pure luck though that I found out about this plot, in just the right location at just the right time so didn't take us long to make the decision to do it.

Last edited:
Looks great, I wondered why the joist's wasn't put on at joist height.
Don't know if you have seen the programme on channel More 4 Building the Dream with
Charlie Luxton, is well worth a look. I personaly don't agree with all his suggestions but everyone to there own. I think just about anyone is building there own house goes over budget. Being an ex bricklayer I have built a few houses for people but never seen the end result.
Good luck with the build.

Great Andrew - thanks for posting and keep 'em coming :thumb:.

I love the roofline - I do wonder of you're set on the interlocking concretes?

The roof is such a feature that I feel it would benefit from plain tiles - have a look at something like Marley Eternit Plain Clay tiles.

Interlocking concretes are a more basic (read cheaper) tile and won't let you exploit that fabulous roof.

All IMO of course and not good for the budget.

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Roofing/Clay-Tiles/Acme-Double-Camber-Clay-Plain-Tile.aspx

And you had no issues or hassle from the planning department?

My god! :eek:

My sister and BIL have just moved into their new-build and the hoops they had to jump through cost them a year. Their local planning officer is known as an officious sod, but some of the conditions imposed defied beflief.

The whole property had to be realigned through 90 degrees to the detriment of light and privacy. No window permitted in the en-suite, conditions about materials and finishes - ad nauseum...

Lucky you - ATB.

Thanks for posting. Lets see the gleaming E63 outside or inside its lair when you are done.

Looks nice, should feel lovely once all done...........make sure you have many more power points than you think you need, when I designed our extension/kitchen/garden room the builder said I would not need all "those sockets"...........I stood my ground and we use almost all, all the time.

Presently have been looking for a plot for a new build for the past 18 months, it's the hardest part.

Looks nice, should feel lovely once all done...........make sure you have many more power points than you think you need, when I designed our extension/kitchen/garden room the builder said I would not need all "those sockets"...........I stood my ground and we use almost all, all the time.

Presently have been looking for a plot for a new build for the past 18 months, it's the hardest part.

we built ours and now having the benefit of hindsight there are a few things we would change. re sockets, NOW is the time to put in all the computer/phone/tv etc sockets. and regarding the computer sockets the more the merrier I have three behind the tv alone

That's a very handsome looking house, in a good location :thumb:

I should have also added include as many light circuits as you can, ceiling and wall......lighting can make or break the interior ambience of a home.

The cost of extra spurs and cabling is nothing compared to the overall cost of the build.

Couldn't see the fire/chimney on the floor plans?
Don't be mean with power points, put in twice as many as you think you need.
A cat 5e network would cost £300 to £500 in materials plus about a days labour to install.

Couldn't see the fire/chimney on the floor plans?
Don't be mean with power points, put in twice as many as you think you need.
A cat 5e network would cost £300 to £500 in materials plus about a days labour to install.

fixed that for you cat6/7 nowadays

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom