new hubs or skim old ones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
A few weeks ago I mentioned I had acquired some e500 wheels (8J x 16 et34). They are shod with the specified tyres 225/55's and are a bit wide in the arches.

So my question is rather than mess with the body work can I either

1. have the hubs "skimmed" so the tyres fit further within the body. Naturally this will affect bolts, brake clearances, potential problems with hitting suspension etc. Has anybody any experience of this and is it a complete No No?

2. If option 1 above is done I can only fit narrower alloys (like 6.5J that I currently have) with spacers; otherwise they will 'disappear' inside the arches. So would it be better to have custom hubs machined which I could swap depending on which wheels I was running (hopefully predominately the 8J's)?

NOw I realise that the wheels are what keep you attached to the road and what I am discussing above is serious work so I am not going to even consider this if there is an element of danger involved.

the 3rd option is to sell them to Jay for his e500 but I am not at that stage yet (can hear Jay going "do it, do it" in the background:D

thoughts please

8 inch wheels were never going to be suitable for standard 124 car.

Why not follow the experts (AMG) and fit 7.7 x 17 wheels which are available everywhere.

8 inch wheels were never going to be suitable for standard 124 car.

Why not follow the experts (AMG) and fit 7.7 x 17 wheels which are available everywhere.

7.7?? Which model are they then?

I wanted to avoid 17's as I would end up running on quite skinny tyres which obviously affect the ride quality.

I specifically wanted the e500 tyres as they are the same pattern (the trad 8 holes) as the car was originally supplied with (admittedly on 15's). I want more width but did not particularly want AMG Aero's and styles on my car.

I realise what I am asking here is not normal and I wanted to garner ideas/thoughts before deciding what to do next.

It may well be impossible what I am asking; I simply don't know. Jay could still end up with the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom