new iMac Pro now available

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

I am in the process of upgrading my iMac and came across the new iMac Pro.

Prices start at £4,899.00 and then go up and up and ...

Very nice although overkill for what I need. ;)

Anybody considering?

Link: iMac Pro

Tech spec and config page/prices below:

mac pro.jpg

mac pro price.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice but I think I'll stick with my 2012 i mac 27 inch for a few more years. They are good machines though, by now I'd have had at least one more PC due to problems so I guess you get what you pay for.

I had been speculating about the prices since it was announced earlier in the year. It looks epic, every single specification is superlative.

I did think it'd start at around 4.5k, you can spec it up to over 12 grand!

The performance of my 5k Retina iMac (with quad core i5, 32GB ram) is perfectly sufficient for my needs though, and my Macbook Pro has an i7 for anything particularly intensive. I can't justify that cost, but I wish I could.

Reactions: 219
Yikes! And here's me still longing for the £1,200 IMac. :eek:

I'm still using my mid-2010 MacBook Pro 17", although it's been upgraded (3TB SSD storage and max RAM) ...
If I ever decide to settle down to a desktop, I'll probably go for what is the top spec at the time - makes sense.

Yikes! And here's me still longing for the £1,200 IMac. :eek:

The iMac you're planning to get is perfectly suitable for your requirements, you'll really like it. It'll be in no way slow, and will still be good in 5+ years time. I have a 2009 iMac at home, and while that is getting on a bit at nearly 9 years, still works perfectly, albeit a little sluggish if doing anything particularly intensive.

The iMac Pro is one of the most powerful computers available to consumers full stop, and it's built right into a glorious big 5k display. For professional video editors, etc, it may be worth it, but I certainly couldn't make use of it's performance...

I am about to sink 10 big ones into one for video editing for one of our teams. The Mac Pro smoking bins are not powerful enough.

That's the only reason we are buying one.

So unless you are doing intensive graphical / numerical work, you are quite possibly wasting money!

Any standard reasonably-current iMac will perform very well with an SSD and i5 for general day to day tasks.

We are upgrading 2014 21.5" and 27" iMacs without SSD to them to give them a longer shelf life and they are perfectly good with High Sierra.

I'm still using a 2012 mini QC i7 (although I did put a SSD in it a couple of months back), more than enough horsepower for me. I'm sure it'll do a couple more years yet..

Cheers,

Gaz

Cue 100 page long thread, insulting apples pricing strategy and explaining how a competitor offers a significantly worse option for significantly less cost....

Which one and why is it in a box in the loft?! :eek:

I have a MacBook Pro, havnt touched the iMac since. Believe it’s the 27” from 4 or 5 years ago. Will need to double check.

I’ve a mid-14 MacBook Pro, it’s excellent.

I use my 24 iMac from 2009 more though because most of the time I’m either just browsing the web or doing light dev work in terminals etc. The bigger screen is just convenient for that. It’s slow compared of course, but it has its uses.

I prefer Windows myself but if my users prefer one or the other, I just buy them what they want.

It's all the same hardware but Apple stuff is generally more expensive but then you aren't paying for the OS licence now and you can keep upgrading them to the latest OS meaning we can utilise assets for longer and users are happy.

Mac skills are not the rare thing they once were so I am not paying a fortune to support them (and I know Macs well myself having supported them for 10 years now).

So I won't be joining in any debate on which is better because I see them as the same albeit with some advantages / disadvantages to both - just choose what you prefer!

I have an iMac in the office and love it but the price of the pro is pretty eye watering and could not be justified.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice but I think I'll stick with my 2012 i mac 27 inch for a few more years. They are good machines though, by now I'd have had at least one more PC due to problems so I guess you get what you pay for.

Mine's a 2011 27", i5, 32GB, with an additional Cinema Display. No real need to upgrade other than I depend on it for work and I'm just worried I'm pushing my luck with it getting on for 7 years old. In saying that, I do use 3 screens for work, and an upgrade will allow me to run all three (main plus 2 Cinema) from the same CPU, albeit with 2 x £50 usb 3 to Thunderbolt adaptors.

The performance of my 5k Retina iMac (with quad core i5, 32GB ram) is perfectly sufficient for my needs though, and my Macbook Pro has an i7 for anything particularly intensive. I can't justify that cost, but I wish I could.

I'm surprised that I've not needed to upgrade before now and in truth, other than expecting it to break, there is no need. I've got a 2013 i7 MacBook Pro too, same as you. Awesome boot from SSD - what more do you need?

I'm still using my mid-2010 MacBook Pro 17", although it's been upgraded (3TB SSD storage and max RAM) ...
If I ever decide to settle down to a desktop, I'll probably go for what is the top spec at the time - makes sense.

Yes SSD makes all the difference. I was p*ssed off when they stopped offering the 17" - I reckon it must have been impacting 21" desktop sales.

I am about to sink 10 big ones into one for video editing for one of our teams. The Mac Pro smoking bins are not powerful enough.
So unless you are doing intensive graphical / numerical work, you are quite possibly wasting money!

Quite a few of my clients are VFX houses and they use a mixture of boxes - you generally don't see many Macs in their edit suites, but I think that will change now. My wife runs a long form VFX studio in Soho and their place is a real mix of everything under the Sun. The edit and sound suites tend to be fairly glacial, but the modelling and rendering stations are always being swapped around - and with much of it passed off into the cloud and increasingly towards a server-less architecture. (Azure mostly).

I prefer Windows myself but if my users prefer one or the other, I just buy them what they want.

Must admit I've been tempted by Windows again (been Mac since 2010) - but not tempted by the hardware market. For me it used to be a toss up between Dell and Compaq, but can't seem to get my head back into the market and find the Dell website almost impenetrable. So for the past few years the whole family has been Mac, including the kids at university. Expensive but we've not had a failure yet.

Yes SSD makes all the difference. I was p*ssed off when they stopped offering the 17" - I reckon it must have been impacting 21" desktop sales.
Oh yes, I was very upset too - I actually missed the announcement, and was expecting a new model in a few months, when someone pointed out that, the FULL current lineup was already given, and there's no 17" anymore ... They should've left it a special order item, even at higher price - the hardware quality well justifies the price tag, in my opinion.

As many others, I did away with optical drive about five years ago, and the bay is now housing a secondary SSD - like you said, makes a huge difference in performance, running Sierra happily. Decided not to upgrade to High Sierra, as my Adobe CS5 is part-32bit, particularly Photoshop, and I'm not ready to pay for a new version ...

High Sierra comes with the new APFS file system that’s specifically designed for flash storage. It’s vastly more modern than HFS+ which is 30 years old.

It’s noticably faster too, and duplicating files doesn’t take up any more space. Only the differences have to be stored. It’s very clever. There's a ton of other benefits too. The upgrade to High Sierra will convert the filesystem. I've done it several times flawlessly now.

You can then convert and format any external storage you have using disk utility, although don't do this if the storage might be used by pre-High-Sierra machines as they obviously won't recognise the FS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom