new iMac Pro now available

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very nice indeed , and makes my 2008 MacPro 8 core seem quite pedestrian now ; however both it and my 17" MBP of the same vintage still do everything I require , even if now stuck at El Capitan .

I have a 'relatively' new iMac at work , but the biggest bugbear is that all the connectors are on the back , which makes it extremely awkward to plug things in and out ( I do have a small USB extension cable dangling which is fine , but for my G-Drive mini , which connects via FW 800 and needs a FW-Thunderbolt adaptor , it is a total PITA since the connector constantly comes out , and just forget trying to use the SD card slot on the rear , at least if you care about not breaking the lock tabs out of your SD cards ... )

There is , reputedly , a new Mac Pro over the horizon , which will get away from the limitations of the 'trashcan' , and I might consider one of these in a year or two .

I was tempted not to swap at all - but a few minutes with the iMac we sent back, and more so the Pro, made me realise that I'd become accustomed to the 8-10 minute boot times and 2-3 minute Lightroom loads. Now, all routine ops take seconds or less.

Re cable IO. I've used the following Belkin Thunderbolt 2 dock for a few years now. Works great. Currently £180 at Amazon.

upload_2018-3-31_23-53-6.png

Reactions: 219
Excellent. Those read/write speeds are faster than the 256GB SSD of my new MBP, as it's the 1TB and performance scales with capacity with these, similarly to RAID.

I have a similar dock at work, but for Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C. They're very expensive! But it means I only have to plug one cable into my laptop, which is nice.

Not had a good time with the new iMac Pro. Blank screen occasionally and randomly disconnects the ethernet adaptor. So, sending it back for a replacement, and have upgraded to 64GB at the same time.

upload_2018-4-17_12-7-10.png

Coming from China surprisingly, although I am told the standard iMac came from Ireland.

upload_2018-4-17_12-8-42.png

Only problem with all this is having to fund both machines until I send the old one back. Something to do with 64GB being a special order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom