New Infinity router.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
So...come 13th March I'm upgrading to Infinity. The sales guy gave me some conflicting info.

1. mount the router at the incoming BT line box for best results.

2. connect the router to the main PC with an Ethernet cable for best results. :confused:

3. connect the router to the TV to get BT telly.

Problems...

The incoming line box is one floor down from the PC so either the router is connected to the incoming box or it's connected to the PC but not both. If I go with the current setup and have the router upstairs in the office and connected to the PC by Ethernet this is not the best position for the router but is the best for data transfer.
Also...If I have the router downstairs there's a chance I can connect to the TV set in the lounge via a cable and receive BT TV.

Questions.

A. Is the best option to have the router connected to the incoming box and have the PC on wifi? or: B. Have the router next to the PC and connected by Ethernet?

If the answer is B is there an easy way to wifi BTTV back downstairs to the lounge TV set. (for 'easy' read 'cheap')

ps. If any S-A suggests moving the PC downstairs next to the incoming box he's welcome to come and speak to Mrs Druk regarding his idea. :devil:

Thanks.

Use powerline adapters. Its a no brainer. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/3490638/5-best-powerline-adapters-2014/

Mount the router at the incoming BT line box-- Connect to the primary powerline adapter via ethernet cable. Then have an/other powerline adapter/ s where you have your other INTENET EQUIPMENT --- TV and PC. You can also get remote wireless node types as well which provide a new wireless access point/s in your house if required. PC world stock em and many online suppliers such as AMAZON.

ps "wired" is inevitably faster than wireless and usually more reliable[ less susceptible to interference/ drop out] but avoid plugging the powerline adapter into multiplug distribution blocks if possible -best into a wall socket.

Last edited:
Keep the box as close to the incoming line as poss.

Is the PC directly above where the router will be? If so, wifi reception will be fine.

This is an extreme example but here is how I found out that line length can make a huge difference.

Broadband at warehouses at work would run at around 5Mbps and would need resetting at least once a day, always seemed to drop out at the wrong moments.

Spoke to BT and they asked me if that was the master socket...I had presumed it was.
After some line tracing I found the master socket on the other end of the warehouse (100ft) in a hidden cupboard. Move the router there and tried a speed test again - 9Mbps.
They did other tests with S/N ratios and other stuff and basically everything was vastly improved.
The broadband never dropped out since.

We had to run a massive long ethernet cable back to the office where the PCs were but seeing as the Ethernet is 100Mbps, it's hardly the bottleneck with such slow internet.
Most wifi devices are 54Mbps I believe, so as long as you have a reasonable signal you shouldn't have any issues.

There are there are other alternatives to hardwire ethernet now, such as powerline adapters.

Powerline seems to be the answer. However, If I wanted to hard wire things instead how easy is running an ethernet ring around the house? eg...does the cable come on drums and are the ends wireable on a DIY basis?

I used Powerline adapters when I first set up my home network. Got rid within a couple of weeks as the digital noise injected on the ring main was horrendous! My HiFi and television suffered audio and visual degradation.

I went over to CAT5 cabling and WiFi. Not speed probs and happy audio-visuals :)

Same here, my PC is about 16m away from the the router is.
Nothing that 20m of CAT6 cant take care of.

Been getting steady speeds of around 74 down and 19 up on the PC.
None of the wireless devices get close to the above.

Powerline seems to be the answer. However, If I wanted to hard wire things instead how easy is running an ethernet ring around the house? eg...does the cable come on drums and are the ends wireable on a DIY basis?

I'm wiring my new house for ethernet in all rooms as part of the renovation. make sure you get good quality copper cable. It can come on a reel if required and putting ends on is easy and v similar if you've ever messed about with telephone sockets before.

Ethernet cable would be best but powerline adapters are fine in most cases - we've been using Devolo ones for 8 years in 2 different houses without any issues at all. If you do go that route make sure you get 500 mbps ones.

Just had same problem and the BT eng changed my ext line box where my router is located to my main line at no extra charge, its just a matter of him changing the wires around so dont worry they will sort that out when they come to install it.

Just had same problem and the BT eng changed my ext line box where my router is located to my main line at no extra charge, its just a matter of him changing the wires around so dont worry they will sort that out when they come to install it.

Yeh, cheers. I've got a leccy/ex phone engineer pal wound up to give me a hand wiring the house for Ethernet sometime next week. BT don't send engineers out for install now, it's all sold on a DIY basis. I told the salesman this morning that's because they've sacked all their good engineers and likely the sales staff would be next. :devil:

Not amused. :dk:

Can't think why.:bannana::bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom