New infra-red key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ackers

Car
E230 W210
When I bought my E230 it only came with 1 remote key, and after reading stories of the dire consequences if this got lost, I decided to order a new key. That will be £170.38 Sir, but I only want the one says I, not a glimmer of a smile was the response. Still, needs must, and it takes a week.

Welcome to the forum mate. Must say the prices for replacement keys seem to be increasing every time. Was it a 1 button flip key or the 3 button key. If it was the 3 button key expect a chrome bling key.

When I bought my E230 it only came with 1 remote key, and after reading stories of the dire consequences if this got lost, I decided to order a new key. That will be £170.38 Sir, but I only want the one says I, not a glimmer of a smile was the response. Still, needs must, and it takes a week.
Dealer or private purchase? If a dealer, you should always insist on 2 keys (my independent dealer had to replace the second when I found it didn't start the car). On a private sale the cost of a second key is always a bargaining point.

If you'd known the cost you may have taken this into account when purchasing - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Welcome.

Last week I bought a 190E with 11 months MOT for £70.38 less than the price of your key.

BTW, if your key's a big chunky black thing with a pop out key & a red plastic bit I have a couple. I believe these are re-programmable.

Last edited:
Last week I bought a 190E with 11 months MOT for £70.38 less than the price of your key.

BTW, if your key's a big chunky black thing with a pop out key & a red plastic bit I have a couple. I believe these are re-programmable.

Apparently they cannot be re-programmed all that easily ;)

It's the single button with flip out key. I knew a key would not be cheap but I was thinking at the time it would be about £80, and as I got a good deal on my trade in I didn't push it.
neilrr, I thought these keys had to be ordered special for the car, which is why I had to produce the log book, driving license, phone bill etc.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that an E280 T I had came with the accursed IFR locking thingy instead of a proper lock on the driver's door.

I believe there was something in the Owner's Manual about sticking the key in the boot lock, turning it some way or the other & pressing the button down in some black magic sequence to reprogram. This was ages ago so I'm a bit sketchy on the details but if you have a look in the book it will tell you all.

Of course, this didn't actually work for me because the IFR ecu was ****ed (& would have cost about £500 to rectify). Thanks God for central locking from the boot!

I'd call it a Smart Key too, if I cleared that kind of profit off a $10/£20 bit of plastic, metal and circuit.

There can be no justification for what MB charge for this crucial item.

I'd call it a Smart Key too, if I cleared that kind of profit off a $10/£20 bit of plastic, metal and circuit.

There can be no justification for what MB charge for this crucial item.

I would say there is one: security. If the key was easy to program, we would have other sources. We would have other sources at this profit if it was easy to produce working keys.

The cost at MB side is less on the key hardware but delivering a key to a particular car needs some human work too and these days one does not get a lot of hours with 100 euros.

My Disco had a similar thing with the door lock, a key code came with the car and you used it to turn the key in the lock in a numbered sequence to override the alarm and immobiliser. I based my estimate of a replacement key on what I paid for the Disco key. I’m not whinging about the cost of the key, well maybe a little whinge, because I need it the same as insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom