New Insurance Rules

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zipdip

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
s320
Just changed my car insurance,after a few years with Diamond they tried it on with a quote for £465,so shopped around and got it for £252 ,now filling in the online forms I found they are different with two new pieces of info needed first your car driving licence number and your NI number,I suspect they are clamping down on those that use fraud to gain insurance,and all this is linked to the other computers such as the passport one,all we need now is the police to catch them and crush the cars,to make a bit more or even a lot more room out there.

first your car driving licence number and your NI number

Car driving licence number is optional isn’t it?

NI number? Never heard of that

Well if you buy online,you need to go through to the insurers own website to pay,and it was there that the driving licence and NI numbers were wanted,you are right on the comparison sites the driving licence number is optional,but if you want the actual insurance they want both numbers,now the NI number for instance,is interesting,because I had stated rightly that I am retired,now my NI number will show I do not pay any and so tally with what I stated to get the insurance,they are starting to crack down.

I think they are trying to use the Driving License number and NI number as some sort of ID. I don't think they care about your NICs (or have access to this information).

Presumably some people lie on their application etc?

Well it is the same when you renew your driving licence now ok most do not have to do it until you are 70 ,they want your passport number,they want to know who you are,and with the amount of people driving without insurance already these new rules will send that soaring but it is up to the police to crack down on areas with this going on.

Well the NI number will show if you are indeed retired as you pay no NI and so your NI number will carry some flag when looked at by insurers .

Well it is the same when you renew your driving licence now ok most do not have to do it until you are 70 ,they want your passport number,they want to know who you are,and with the amount of people driving without insurance already these new rules will send that soaring but it is up to the police to crack down on areas with this going on.
Not everyone has a passport .

Just insured via Adrian Flux, not asked for any info regarding N.I number or Driving Licence numbers

Hi,
Does everybody with a British passport actually have an NI number?
Originally foreign wives(or husbands) of UK citizens - who have become British through marriage and naturalization and who don’t work - may not even have applied for an NI number.
Cheers
Steve

Reactions: 219
I think this is a specific thing relating the the OPs insurer as opposed to something all insurers are requesting?

They want your passport number so that they can use the photo from it, so that you don't have to bother with another photo.

Unemployed and some self employed (below contribution level) do not pay NI contributions...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Unemployed and some self employed (below contribution level) do not pay NI contributions...

They will still have an NI number though? That should be sufficient for identification purposes.

So do the retired.

I was helping a friend do some quotes the other day and the driving licence was always optional, Never saw the NI asked for anywhere. Who is the insurance company?

Reactions: 219
Usual question asks for main employment - I'm "mainly" retired but still work one day a week so still pay some N.I.

Well the NI number will show if you are indeed retired as you pay no NI and so your NI number will carry some flag when looked at by insurers .

Really?

How?

,now filling in the online forms I found they are different with two new pieces of info needed first your car driving licence number and your NI number,I suspect they are clamping down on those that use fraud to gain insurance

It will probably be about accessing your driving licence details to confirm your driving record and points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom