New Insurance Rules

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Usual question asks for main employment - I'm "mainly" retired but still work one day a week so still pay some N.I.

That is a interesting point,the way I thought it worked was if you have retired and you get the government pension then your NI stops,I am no expert but could it be that you pay tax on your earnings but not NI,might be a idea if you have been doing this for a couple of years to check your NI contributions on the government web site,with regard to what happened to me when I access the insurance companies site ,I think posters have pointed to why this happened,I think insurance companies want to make certain you have no convictions and if you say you are retired you are that,suspect we will hear from other members who come to change insurance companies having this happen.

Well I wonder how many of you have ever checked your NI contributions over your entire working life,I did it makes interesting reading,one thing it does is show that we pay very little for our government pension ,all you need is your NI number and answer a few questions and then your payments right back to when you started work will be there ,year after year.
I ended up with two insurance companies in the running they were LV and One Call insurance I went with them they were about £20 cheaper than LV,I have never been a name tart when it comes to car insurance.

You don't pay NI contributions when you reach state pension age which is not necessarily the same as the age you retire at.

Some flag.

Which means what? An entitlement to a pension or an age indicator.

But that doesn't reflect your actual 'retired' status.

It just indicates something related to potential retirement.

Actual retirement is a very fluid concept.

Which means what? An entitlement to a pension or an age indicator.

But that doesn't reflect your actual 'retired' status.

It just indicates something related to potential retirement.

Actual retirement is a very fluid concept.

I was joking, the flag that I had in mind was a big brown W on a caramel background.

Well I wonder how many of you have ever checked your NI contributions over your entire working life,I did it makes interesting reading,one thing it does is show that we pay very little for our government pension ,all you need is your NI number and answer a few questions and then your payments right back to when you started work will be there ,year after year.
I ended up with two insurance companies in the running they were LV and One Call insurance I went with them they were about £20 cheaper than LV,I have never been a name tart when it comes to car insurance.
Well when I was made redundant in 2012 and had plenty of time on my hands I sat down and added up my tax and NI contributions over the previous 32 years, it came to more than my house and car was worth! I must confess I felt a little "entitled" from the government so I signed on for 2 months whilst sorting out my future. That was an eye opener, was treated as if I was part of the great unwashed, told I would have to wait weeks for the first payment and had to keep a daily diary of all the steps taken to seek gainful employment...

When I decided to become self employed and start my business I informed the authorities and received a letter from the government congratulating me "on finding gainful employment" and sending me a £100 cheque "to help me buy a suit" :)!

I still feel entitled to my pension having taken less than £1k from the State!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Well I agree with you,I never had a single benefit for myself over my entire working life,when I got a bus pass at 60 I used to show friends it was the first gift? I had ever got from the government,all that said,my point about NI was that just looking at that alone not tax you can see that the numbers are not great,I think my first year in employment had me paying £12 NI,and of course not all of that is used for a pension,I am in my mind quiet right in saying that the government pension is a great gift,if people got a pension on the actual contributions I suspect they would get less than £80 a week as it is people retiring today get £165.
Getting back to my insurance,maybe the company I picked are leading the way with wanting further checks,I would think that others will follow suit,is it big brother well maybe, but with all the means that people have of obtaining car insurance by fraud I suppose it has to happen.

Well I agree with you,I never had a single benefit for myself over my entire working life,

NHS?

People tend to take it so much for granted that we forget it's a benefit.

So are the police and fire service. And our armed forces who protect us. And many others.

What zipdip was referring to is targeted benefits, i.e. benefits given to individuals based on specific criteria as opposed to public services which are benefits equally available to all.

NI contributions are not ring fenced for Pensions or anything else these days just another goverment tax going into the central coffers along with income, vat, insurance, Air travel, fuel tax, inheritance tax, Stamp duty and fines!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Just run an online quite with Aviva. They asked if we were prepared to share our driving licence numbers. I selected yes and had to enter the numbers.
There was then no questions relating to "have you had any driving offences" etc.
Incidentally, for similar cover (slightly higher excesses) Aviva were £0.40 cheaper for 2 cars than our renewal notice from Admiral. So I will be renewing with Admiral.

Just run an online quite with Aviva. They asked if we were prepared to share our driving licence numbers. I selected yes and had to enter the numbers.
There was then no questions relating to "have you had any driving offences" etc.
Incidentally, for similar cover (slightly higher excesses) Aviva were £0.40 cheaper for 2 cars than our renewal notice from Admiral. So I will be renewing with Admiral.

I would far rather be insured by AVIVA than Admiral.

Significantly higher excess amounts on the Aviva quote though.

Would have to check but iirc admiral includes legal expenses cover but Avila doesn’t

Significantly higher excess amounts on the Aviva quote though.

Righto.

Just out of interst, who do you use for your insurance cover?
AVIVA currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom