New intercooler seals, still leaky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darragh1

My car is e250 OM651 S212 2010 with plenty of miles but with new timing chain and in good order apart from a few 'blemishes'.
So as there was oil on both intercooler hoses I had the four seals replaced with original mb parts and checked by my mechanic. The one on the turbo was fine for a week, now it is oily on the outside again. I know it could be a split in the hose itself but the hoses were cleaned and checked. Maybe it's a clip on the hose not fastening? The lower end at the intercooler looks secure but rotates a little by hand. There has always been intermittent miniture therumin ghostly oooooeeeee sound which has decreased a little since the seals. Anyway, other than defective hose or clip, is there anything else obvious the check?
Thankliest resusitations,
D.
Happy New Year as courtesy and of course if it applies. Over-thinking it: It may not be and I wouldn't incline to foist and lumbar anyone by pressing the necessity to feign even a reciprocated greeting.
So, have a happy new year if you like. From now on I might form a question...Happy New Year?
Have a great weekend if you want, but no pressure.

Last edited:
Is you PCV leaking which would cause excess oil around the turbo inlet - not sure how they are constructed on a OM651 but they usually have some sort of rubber diaphragm that degrades with age and heat.
The other obvious one is have the o-rings got kinked when they were installed? - easy to do, especially if you don't give them a wipe of soap or silicone. Next is because you had the o-rings changed it probably increased the pressure in the pipes and may have caused a weak spot to split as a result. The best test for both is a smoke test.

This also may help
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
- different model but same engine as yours

Other oil leak issues with the OM651

Is you PCV leaking which would cause excess oil around the turbo inlet - not sure how they are constructed on a OM651 but they usually have some sort of rubber diaphragm that degrades with age and heat.
The other obvious one is have the o-rings got kinked when they were installed? - easy to do, especially if you don't give them a wipe of soap or silicone. Next is because you had the o-rings changed it probably increased the pressure in the pipes and may have caused a weak spot to split as a result. The best test for both is a smoke test.

This also may help
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
- different model but same engine as yours

Other oil leak issues with the OM651
That particular video encouraged me to replace the o rings on the intercooler hoses in the first place. On the turbo side I had previously replaced the o rings but was still leaky which is why I got four new o rings again and handed them to my indie. I will ask him to look at it again, doubtful kinked as he is meticulous and careful. Maybe, as you suggest a weak spot split with pressure. PCV had some black smears, which I now think are linked to a diesel leak about which I open a new thread.
Thank you for the help and I will report back when I learn more.
D.

So. I sprayed down the oily hose and gave it a little adjustment where it clenches the turbo and the intercooler. The type of adjustment was like the kind of intricate turning one might use when dialing the combination on a safe. Except I didn't know the combination. Either way, the hose has been dry for the last while. My conclusion can be that the connections at turbo and intercooler are precarious and need that magic touch which I clearly have. Otherwise after the seals had been replaced and the hose cleaned down, there may have been a little more excess in the area that needed to be expelled.
Short: It seems fine now. I'll shine the torch on it occasionally, keep an eye on it.
Thank you for listening to my great story,
D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom