New interior doors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Howden only do trade, so I'll be checking out others that people have suggested

Try kaybeedoors.co.uk , they are based in Liverpool , have a really good selection , you can buy most of their doors either in wood, primer or painted. We replaced about 10 doors in our last
House, all delivered unmarked, brilliant quality

One thing to watch, depending when your house was built, if the bathroom is upstairs, there may only be a 2' 3" door not the normal 2' 6" door to the bathroom.

I need your help please guys. I had a new bedroom door fitted a couple of years ago and I now want to replace the other doors upstairs. I had the door fitted by a friend at the time but I cant remember where they got the door and fittings from (and before you ask, no I'm not able to ask them - long story!) . I know its probably just a matter of finding similar online, but ideally I want them all to match. I have 1 door that isnt 'normal' size too as the doorway was altered to allow for the staircase to the loft room. I welcome your thoughts as always, thanks

This is the door I want to match up and the handle

An door catalogue I have seen comes with two main sets of sizes

So as an example one standard is 2040mm high and then various widths - 526mm, 626mm, 726mm, 826mm and so on.

Chances are most of your doors will be one of these sizes. En suites and cupboards may have smaller doors.

Doors come finished and unfinished. If you are just going to paint the door then you don't need to worry too much abot this as .... well chances are you're going to paint them. And joiners may well prefer mounting an unfinished door if it needs trimming. If your doors are veneered then they may have varnish finish option - I'd suggest you buy such doors finished as a good varnish finish can be a hassle to get right.

The doors will be trimmable. Watch out for any doors that need to be altered. Typically a door will allow for so many mm to be trimmed off the top/bottom/sides. Make sure there's enough in the specification to allow the door to be altered.

The door handle doesn't look anything special - so chances are you will find something similar. However - it's not a big deal if you are gettting new handles for the other doors just to buy an extra for the door you are keeping - so be prepared to replace it.

I would add - if you are going to the hassle then think about replacing all the doors with something worthwhile if you are planning to stay. A new set of doors can really spruce up the interior of your home. If you have a local builders' merchant see if they sell doors because they may do deals depending on their suppliers - and they will also be able to handle delivery and if there are problems handle exchanges.

One thing to watch, depending when your house was built, if the bathroom is upstairs, there may only be a 2' 3" door not the normal 2' 6" door to the bathroom.
Yes I noticed that when measuring them, the bathroom door is smaller and one of the bedroom doors is the same smaller size . This was altered to allow the stairs to the loft room.

Some great comments guys, thanks. I'll let you know how I get on :thumb:

The door and the fitting looks like it came from Howdens...this door comes in 4 different widths and in 35 or 40mm thickness (thicker if they are FD30 fire doors). I wouldn't bother with prefinished as they are difficult to patch up once they have been messed around with during hanging. Best to get primed doors.

If you are using a builder to hang the doors, get them to purchase the doors via their account from Howdens.

Note that Howdens also charge an astronomic amount to deliver so unless you have a van, best get your builder to sort it out.

Last edited:
Got home from work today and found these had been delivered. My son had ordered them the other day, bless

20210419_185543 (3).jpg

and the handles are a pretty good match to the original one

20210419_185500.jpg

and he has arranged with one of his builder friends to fit them for me... result :thumb:

Thanks for all the help

Well my son's friend wasn't able to help as he'd just bought his own house and was busy with that. Eventually found a guy who was recommended to me and he fitted the doors today. There are areas that need making good, but these are a temporary fix as I'll be refurbishing the whole house next year. The middle door is the airing cupboard and is very narrow and will need a door made up, so that will wait till next time round. I'm really pleased with them.

20210727_135821.jpg20210727_135842.jpg20210727_135947.jpg

Well my son's friend wasn't able to help as he'd just bought his own house and was busy with that. Eventually found a guy who was recommended to me and he fitted the doors today. There are areas that need making good, but these are a temporary fix as I'll be refurbishing the whole house next year. The middle door is the airing cupboard and is very narrow and will need a door made up, so that will wait till next time round. I'm really pleased with them.

View attachment 116142View attachment 116143View attachment 116144
Looking good - in fact you might say "adoorable".......I'll get me coat 😬

If the airing cupboard door is solid find someone who is hand with a router to get it to match the others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom