New iPhones...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just installed IOS12 on my X and iPad pro. Nothing too exciting at first look but just little touches here and there that make for an overall better experience.

Does anyone have a complete collection of Iphones a bit like "Now That's what I call music "? :dk: I gave up at Iphone 4s :(

I started with the original one ( which I passed to my daughter ) then waited until the 3GS came out before upgrading to the 3G .
By always staying one model behind I never paid any upfront charge for an upgrade handset , and each time I got a new handset , the old one was passed round the family . Within the household I have my current 7 , her ladyship has the 6S , son has the 6 , then in a drawer there is a 5 , 4 , 3GS and 3G .

I don't like the way all manufacturers are increasing the screen size of mobile phones. The latest iPhone with a 6.5 inch screen is a ridiculous size, and I'm not knocking Apple exclusively. They are all at it.. Its like lugging a small tablet around.
Unless you are wearing a jacket or you are a giant, I don't see how these monsters are supposed to fit in your trouser pocket.

I don't like the way all manufacturers are increasing the screen size of mobile phones. The latest iPhone with a 6.5 inch screen is a ridiculous size, and I'm not knocking Apple exclusively. They are all at it.. Its like lugging a small tablet around.
Unless you are wearing a jacket or you are a giant, I don't see how these monsters are supposed to fit in your trouser pocket.

My iPhone 7 Plus fit in my pocket no problem :) never had an issue.

But the new one won't. Nor would a Samsung S9. They are getting too big IMHO.

The dimensions of the iPhone XS Max are equal if not slightly smaller than the iPhone 8 Plus. Even though the screen is bigger, as remember the screen covers the whole body, so you can get a larger screen without increasing the phones size :)

The dimensions of the iPhone XS Max are equal if not slightly smaller than the iPhone 8 Plus. Even though the screen is bigger, as remember the screen covers the whole body, so you can get a larger screen without increasing the phones size :)

I understand that Abs, its the physical size of the phone, not just the screen.
I'm probably in a minority, but I find them getting too large for carrying comfort.

Its like lugging a small tablet around.

They’re doing it because that’s what the market wants, but like you I like a small phone too. I had an SE before my X because of its compact size and decent specs for a small phone.

When the X came out, all you heard in the international tech community was “bigger one bigger one bigger one!” Nobody wanted a smaller one, me neither now.

The X made sense because it’s a lot more screen for not much more size, but most, especially those who play games and consume a lot of video on their devices want the big displays. My mrs for one, who’s going to be getting the new Max model as it’s about the size of her 8 plus but much bigger and better display.

All I hope for is that they keep producing a similarly specced smaller version for those like us.

We all thought and hoped (google it) that there’d be an iPhone SE2 but it didn’t and won’t happen now.

I understand that Abs, its the physical size of the phone, not just the screen.
I'm probably in a minority, but I find them getting too large for carrying comfort.

Understood Rog, yeah each to their own. I’m glad there’s the option for either though :)

I prefer a larger screen size as I need to be able to remote control servers and do other work from my 7+.

I think we are reaching the law of diminishing returns on these phones now though as there isn't many new things that I would benefit - so I will be sticking with my 7 for the foreseeable and I don't even pay for it!

They’re doing it because that’s what the market wants, but like you I like a small phone too. I had an SE before my X because of its compact size and decent specs for a small phone.
We all thought and hoped (google it) that there’d be an iPhone SE2 but it didn’t and won’t happen now.

This is my gripe too.

I bought an SE on the day it came out because it was exactly what I wanted: a capable, small, fast, lightweight tool that can do pretty much all the stuff I'd want to with such a product. If I want to read books, I'll use a kindle or an iPad OR A BOOK. If I want to browse/surf the internet, I'll use a laptop or iPad. If I want to watch films, I'll enjoy them on my 50" screen with surround sound. I really don't need or want one all singing all dancing single item that can do everything because it'll always be a compromise. I only need it for the times I don't have access to the right items e.g. to check train times on the hoof, make a last minute bid on eBay, display my airline boarding card, order an uber etc.

I guess it's a bit like those multi-tools or a Swiss army knife; you can get those monster sized ones with 100+ tools, but they're much too big and heavy to carry comfortably in your pocket, plus they're not that good at any of the jobs they're supposed to do.

I don't really have an objection to the price of these things - even if I do dislike the way apple fleeces its customers on all the ancillary products like cables, dongles, adapters etc. After all, the technology they've managed to pack into an absurdly small amount of space is quite astonishing.

Yeah, I feel like the first decade of proper smartphones was about making them jack of all trades, master of none. Now though, you'd have to spend a good amount of money to get a dedicated video camera with two prime lenses, both optically stabilised, capable of 4K video at 60fps encoded into the latest H.265 encoding with a quarter terabyte of storage built in. Maybe now they really are becoming masters of all those trades too.

It's exciting times, but there'll always be things people will dislike about whichever phone, and that's great as it breeds competition and that makes everything better for everybody.

Just ordered the XS MAX in Gold :)

EE called me yesterday asking me if I would be interested in one of the new models.

They couldn’t/wouldn’t give me any prices until Nov 15. Apparently with the contract I’ve got, I can hand back my present X and get the newest model without any upfront charges.

If the monthly price is the same I’ll probably be a hypocrite and go for it.

They couldn’t/wouldn’t give me any prices until Nov 15. Apparently with the contract I’ve got, I can hand back my present X and get the newest model without any upfront charges.

I wouldn’t do that to be fair, you’ve essentially leased your phone then :)

I keep all my old phones and pass them to family members.

I’m due an upgrade in October. Have a 256gb 7+ so see what trade in it will be. Will see what is in the running with my contract as I pay £55 a month but quite fancy the Xs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom