New Key for Vito .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny705

Car
Vito 120
Can anyone please point me in the right direction , as to where is the best place to get a spare key/fob , and likely cost?

I live in Coventry, so i guess would have to take the key there as such , so somewhere local would be a bonus.

Thanks Jonny.

Thanks for that, just an be a bit paranoid about getting anyone off the net to do it as such as they are cloning my key!

Just want a spare case I lose it when out :)

The BEST place (that's was the question, right ?) would be a Main Mercedes Benz dealer. The CHEAPEST place would be from someone you have never met who sells stuff on the internet.

Your Call.

You have nothing to worry about with the company i posted above ,His company is well known on this forum for his work. However if personal reccomendations are not good enough then open your wallet and go to MB.

Nick

I also only got one key with my 2007 Vito, and like you I wanted the reassurance of a spare.
Fwiw I brought mine from a Mercedes dealership. They were very meticulous about verifying my legal ownership, and also demanded to inspect the VIN on the chassis.
However I ordered a key together with a blade, and it arrived from Germany in two days and both components worked perfectly.

Have e-mailed the firm above, but site says around £160 if you take it to them in Brum or £180 if they come out,but havent had a confirmation as yet.

Regarding main dealer cost on your Vito replacement StMark, may i ask you the cost ?

Just last time i went to dealer for some Anti-freeze it was dearer than the fully synthetic engine oil , which just dont seem right does it?

Fortunately I was able to get it at the "trade rate" Jonny705, but even at the preferential price it was more than the price you have been quoted.
Hth.

Thanks StMarks - looks like a visit to Brum then :)

Don't you still have to prove your identity? It was a real pain at the MB dealer even though we were getting the key under warranty.

Well as yet, the company has not got back to me anyway .
Might get a quote from Merc as you never know.

Always reluctant to spend lots of money on something I know isn't VFM, and replacement keys are one of them!

Might just get a spare key cut instead , and spend the rest on a decent stereo :)
Surely the dealers have to accept log book Licence passport as means of ID okay ?

Haven't got a valid passport but obviously a Driving licence, and just had my Shotgun certificate renewed ,both with photos, address etc on them.

:confused: What totally baffles me is that there appears to be a very buoyant market for these Vito electronic keys on Ebay....?

Surely if they need to pattern match the vehicle & are unable to be reprogrammed then they should have little or no resale value. :dk:

Well after having a little read up on net, a lot of places want log book to prove you are indeed the owner , which is fair enough, as people would hire a new car and simply clone the key and nick it later.

They need your key to clone it , then reprogram the blank, which you have to provide yourself with a few companies by buying a second hand one I guess, some you don't ,but I guess theirs must be a Chinese copy, as i don't expect Merc would sell blanks to any old place.

If you have had it cloned before ,at one of the Internet companies ,you can order spare from then on off them via internet -they obviously then keep your cloned data on file.

So I am thinking they know your vehicle ,where you live via log book and can clone as many copies of your key as they want, now I am not suggesting there all out to potential rob you, but it would be a pretty lucrative idea, but what if the laptop or whatever the cloned data is stored on, got stolen ,with potentially hundreds of owners details on them ?

So I can now see why Petrol Pete recommend Main Dealers only :)

So with this in mind phoned MB in Coventry and got a price of £168 inclusive!
So a real surprise, and also a genuine MB key , approx 3 days as they have your emergency blank to cut off you .

You need Passport or something official , Log book in your name with matching address, provide a written letter signed to authorise them to do it , and a picture of your chassis plate- they just said bring it down and they will take photo etc.

Just need to get into the habit of checking prices from main dealer first, as some things are expensive , yet others can be cheap , I have now learnt this :)

Well after having a little read up on net, a lot of places want log book to prove you are indeed the owner , which is fair enough, as people would hire a new car and simply clone the key and nick it later.

They need your key to clone it , then reprogram the blank, which you have to provide yourself with a few companies by buying a second hand one I guess, some you don't ,but I guess theirs must be a Chinese copy, as i don't expect Merc would sell blanks to any old place.

If you have had it cloned before ,at one of the Internet companies ,you can order spare from then on off them via internet -they obviously then keep your cloned data on file.

So I am thinking they know your vehicle ,where you live via log book and can clone as many copies of your key as they want, now I am not suggesting there all out to potential rob you, but it would be a pretty lucrative idea, but what if the laptop or whatever the cloned data is stored on, got stolen ,with potentially hundreds of owners details on them ?

So I can now see why Petrol Pete recommend Main Dealers only :)

So with this in mind phoned MB in Coventry and got a price of £168 inclusive!
So a real surprise, and also a genuine MB key , approx 3 days as they have your emergency blank to cut off you .

You need Passport or something official , Log book in your name with matching address, provide a written letter signed to authorise them to do it , and a picture of your chassis plate- they just said bring it down and they will take photo etc.

Just need to get into the habit of checking prices from main dealer first, as some things are expensive , yet others can be cheap , I have now learnt this :)
The last line of your post is so true. Years ago running various Vauxhall cars I had avoided main dealers until one day I was forced to use one and came away pleasantly surprised at their price and service levels.

Over the years I managed (without too much haggling) to get all sorts of stuff done using genuine parts for the same price as Halfords etc. Even Exhausts and batteries !!

Always worth a few phone calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom