New Key Problems - Help Urgently Needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Kripling

Car
Phaeton W12, Porsche 911 2S
Right, I'm in a bit of a pickle now and some help would be very much appreciated!

I ordered an additional key from an MB dealer a few weeks ago and, after giving them my VIN details, the new key arrived. Unfortunately, while the key would unlock the car remotely, the keyless entry wouldn't work and the key wouldn't turn in the ignition.

The dealer took the key back but recently got in touch to say that I should try leaving the new key for a while in the ignition to "synchronise" with the car. This evening I did so with the new key. After a while, I tried the key and lo, it turned and started the engine.

However, the engine cut out after a second and the key now no longer turns in the ignition. More worryingly, the old key now no longer works either! :doh:

Neither key seems to do anything to the car now although when I press the button on the handle to try and lock the car, the light on the old key flashes (but nothing happens on the car).

I need the car for a long journey tomorrow morning and am now stranded and feeling like a right tit. Any assistance will be rewarded with gold, frankincense, myrrh or whatever takes your fancy!

Harry

I was told when you have a new key and synch it with the car any other key you have has to be sync'd at the same time/with seconds of each other.

not sure what you can do now tbh other than take the new key back to MB as it doesnt start the car.

A bit hard to take it back since neither key will start the car now! :(

It doesn't want to turn in the ignition either...

Borrocks.

Thanks for that - I'd completely forgotten about Mobilo! We'll see if paying a bit more for the full MB service history might have actually been worth it! :)

Thanks for that - I'd completely forgotten about Mobilo! We'll see if paying a bit more for the full MB service history might have actually been worth it! :)

Let us know if they can actually help with this. Good luck.

I doubt it since it sounds like it's just a local garage of some sort. I've got the Phaeton as backup but it looks like I'll be heading up to Scotland on impulse power rather than warp drive...

One key shouldn't have any bearing on the other. It sounds like back luck and that the eis has failed

I fear that might be what's happened. How much should I expect the dealer to extract for sorting it out?

The recovery technician was as much use as a one-legged man at an ****-kicking contest. He didn't have any sort of diagnostic equipment and wasn't able to load the car onto the transporter so I'm left waiting for MB Brighton to send someone out to look at it... Of course, I'm away until Sunday which makes everything very convenient :(

another +1 for EIS failure.

The keyless part of the key also needs to be setup on STAR.

Well, the dealer has diagnosed an EIS failure and will repair for £1,200. The fact that it happened at the same time as the new key was being used is "pure coincidence"...

Any suggestions as to alternatives or do I just bite the bullet?

Harry

£1200 is a lot for an EIS

It was £600ish for the parts and the rest for labour. I suppose I'm slightly over a barrel given the coding involved buy hey-ho, I never assumed a CL would be cheap.

Olly, you'll definitely be getting all the other work from now on!

Harry

While I'm on the subject, is there any possibility that a faulty key could have bricked the EIS?

While I'm on the subject, is there any possibility that a faulty key could have bricked the EIS?

With my software/hardware engineer hat on, I suspect what has happened is that the flash memory in the EIS failed when it was written to with the new key info. I.e really an EIS failure, but triggered by trying to setup the new key.

As Ollie says £600ish labour is a lot of hours worth to just change an EIS though

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom