New key question + rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

j033y

Car
A4 Quattro S Line
Hi all

Hopefully looking at a C220 cdi on sunday, the guy says there is only 1 key available, are these a fortune from MB for another.

Also, he states it has "usual rust bubbling on rear, and drivers door bottom" I know they all do this, but he says it only started about 6 months ago. How much longer until it destroys the car?

Cheers for help guys, it seems to be hard to find a c220 estate for less than £2.5k

Good lord. glad i was sat down!

Is it only through an MB dealer you can get them. Not like VAG cars that can be cut by anyone then programmed by someone with the correct software.

Cheers

If it only has one key and you do buy it get the "missing" key disabled by somebody with star ASAP.

It is not heard of, for people to be sold Merc's with 1 key. Then come home a few months later to find the car missing..........:crazy:

Is it a 202 or 203?

It may be the first break out of rust or it may be a previous repair that has come to light. Once it starts it will only get worse if not delt with properly. You may be lucky and catch it early. If you are having it sorted get it done properly though not just a quick rub back and spray over.

£260?!

It was £170 last time I checked when I needed a replacement key for my SLK350 last year, just needed to provide my V5 etc.

Is it only through an MB dealer you can get them. Not like VAG cars that can be cut by anyone then programmed by someone with the correct software.

Cheers

Best place for a new key is dealers. You need to show V5 and ID to order one.

You can get second hand keys on eBay. There is a bloke that can reprogram them but the cost is more than a new key. That said, his services could be usefull if you are stranded somewhere and prove cheaper than paying recovery and awaiting mb to order a new key in.

£260?!

It was £170 last time I checked when I needed a replacement key for my SLK350 last year, just needed to provide my V5 etc.

You think that is bad apparantly a new DAS key back when they were new circa 1997+ was around £70 !

I just had to order a new key for my neighbour's 2004 E class, it was £194 +VAT from a dealer, my local indie ordered it and just needed to see the V5 as the VIN number is used by MB to set up the remote, once you have it you then need to put it into the ignition for a few seconds and when you hear a few clicks the re=programming is done. The cost of the remote "key" does not include the metal emergency door opening key, that is another £20 or so and has to be ordered from Germany and takes about 10 days I was told. Tje new remote keys are larger than the originals and the original metal key will not fit inside the new remotes!

Cheers guys.

Lot of $$$ then. So is star the software required. I guess most people would want to have more than 1 key anyway.

I'm having second thoughts about this one on ebay. sounds a bit of a dog. It's just a waiting game for me i giuess for an ok one. The problem is, i'm in the north and all cars seem to be in the south!!

Cheers

1999-2002 cars are prone to rust. Cars from 2003 upwards (and some late 2002) are not that rust prone, though obviously some rust is always possible as with any other car.

So if buying a rusty car with one key, it should be really super-cheap to be interesting... and keep in mind the most traders (and some owners) will prefer to cover-up the rust themselves, commanding a higher price for the car - so if this seller chose not to fix it himself prior to selling the car, it is possibly because it is a rather expensive repair...

Last edited:

Cheers

any decent auto lockmith can do them

I have followed numerous threads on keys and the consensus is get from Mercedes. Yes its expensive but you have little choice. There have been more than a few people who have gambled with going somewhere else to save £60 and I has ended badly. Buy cheap, buy twice.

As for rust, what year is it and does it have full MB service history?

any decent auto lockmith can do them

haha, i'll try taking the bit of electronic plastic into Timpsons then and see if they can cut a new bit of metal to size :crazy:

Dealer only, and a 2nd hand key from fleabay cannot be reprogrammed regardless of how much the ebay seller claims it can.

budget £250 for a new key; its the only way. They will take a few days to arrive direct from Germany too when ordered, but you should get the latest style of key, and keep your older style as a spare (if it is indeed the older style)

There seems to be some confusion over the price of keys here.

Having just bought one for my (W203) C270 CDI, (3 button type remote and metal key)) from a main stealer (the only way to go) I can confirm that they cost £227 including VAT. That includes the metal blade key. When ordering, you will need to take the V5, proof of ID - Passport or Driving Licence or similar and a utility bill. It took about 5 working days for mine to arrive and they are the new design with the chrome finish.

rcpt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom