New landlord tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterG

Car
1992 300 SL 24V
Well they call it a license to make it sound better.
Over the past few years I have built up a property porfolio to pay for my pension now the government wants to take more money off me for my ventures.
Gas and Electricity safety certificates I fully endorse but this is just another stealth tax as they keep telling us to provide for our future then charge us for being enterprising I give up:crazy:
The amount each council charges too is a lottery not to mention extortionate.
Pete
http://www.residentiallandlord.co.uk/feature14.htm

Last edited:
I agree Pete - I absolutely LOATH brown :mad: and his prudent policies.

I am even sure those who voted them in didnt do it expecting to have all their money sucked out of their pockets bit by bit . . .

Ordinary people have very little chance especially when even the private pension institutions guarantee nothing at maturity but make a good living themselves in the meantime :mad: :mad: :mad:

I personally believe the tenants (customers) deserve this I remember my uni digs and the man should be in prison. And over the years I have rented many times with conflicting standards of rental and landlords, maybe this may of helped in some circumstances. The amounts seem small and as it is a HMG licence will be tax deductible. BTW I now have to pay a fee for my outside cameras which I put up at the request of the courts (terms for longer hours).

Last edited by a moderator:
grasmere said:
I agree Pete - I absolutely LOATH brown :mad: and his prudent policies.

I am even sure those who voted them in didnt do it expecting to have all their money sucked out of their pockets bit by bit . . .

Ordinary people have very little chance especially when even the private pension institutions guarantee nothing at maturity but make a good living themselves in the meantime :mad: :mad: :mad:

There's nothing prudent about the man, he has been spraying our money at anything he fancies and then burying his deeds in off balance sheet accounts a la Enron. We are heading for over 50% of workforce in the Public Sector. That way madness lies. The sooner he goes the better.

Once again we have a postcode lottery for charges as with everything else these days from Policng to NHS.

Bedford Borough Council is to charge £150 per letting (so £750 for an HMO containing five tenants), while Liverpool City Council has indicated that it will charge £945 for a five bedroom property. Runnymede is to charge £560 per property with a discount of £65 for additional properties; Plymouth will charge £695 per property with £105 discount for additional properties; Wandsworth £1,100 for a five bedroom property with up to £400 discount for early application and previously accredited properties; Eastbourne £833 per property; and Worcester £600 plus £60 for processing applications (and penalties of up to £100 for incomplete applications). Oxford will charge £800 per property, and Salford £473 with £47 discount for accredited landlords

PeterG said:
Well they call it a license to make it sound better.
Over the past few years I have built up a property porfolio to pay for my pension now the government wants to take more money off me for my ventures.
Gas and Electricity safety certificates I fully endorse but this is just another stealth tax as they keep telling us to provide for our future then charge us for being enterprising I give up:crazy:
The amount each council charges too is a lottery not to mention extortionate.
Pete
http://www.residentiallandlord.co.uk/feature14.htm

I think this is only applicable to 3 stories or more with multiple dwellings (of unrelated people) or is 5 beds or more.

If it is a house (2 storey 4 beds or less) then you shouldn't need to do this.
There was a decision process someone, perhaps on the Inland Revenue website that helped clarify the need for you to have one of these.

Whilst from a safety aspect this is a good idea, its just another way to get 'free' money/tax.

So no need to panic just yet (unless the above applies).

Cheers
Mark.

Let me quote the head of our local authority Private Housing Department "This is a bit of a nightmare".

Although aimed at bedsits primarily, it also applies to any three storey property converted into flats before 1991 where there are 5 or more tenants in 2 or more households or where one third of lessees sublet. Speaking as a surveyor who manages property, some of our bigger houses will be an HMO one day, not the next, and then will be again the following day!!

Oh yes, and our local authority (Brent) have said that in due course they will extend it to 2 storey properties. Which means about 75% of the properties in Brent will be HMOs. And who will be paying to police it all???

We are already tax collectors (VAT), tax informants (required to tell Government what landlords earn what), and Customs officers (money laundering regulations), and now this.

The real confusion is that different authorities will have different rules and charges. Rents will rise, and there will be increased homelessness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom