New laptop decision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thmsshaun

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 C300 4Matic, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2015 Triumph Tiger800 XCX
Well i'm after a bit of help really.

I'm looking at getting another laptop for up to around £800

I'm not to bothered on the screen size (15"+)

But I do want 400GB + HDD and 4GB ram.
Blu ray would be nice too.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hello

Depends what you want from your laptop...I wouldn't pay that much as pleanty much cheaper. If I want to watch a blueray film I would rather sit back in the lounge with a cold beer and watch on the big TV.

I've stook with toshibas for years, I have a 17" one with 2gb ram, dual core 2.2, 250gb H/D, dvd burner all for £440 from pixmania nearly 2 years ago.

I use an external 1TB drive for backing up my photographs as I like to keep that in a safe seperate. If the laptop goes with a 400gb drive full your a bit knackerd.

The drive will also be 2 * 200GB not one 400GB, not a problem but thats how it will be. Also I didn't think vista 32 bit see's more than 3GB so 4gb overkill?

I surf, type the odd letter and play around with photoshop on mine and fine it does everything I need.

Unless your really going to benift from the Blueray etc I'm not sure its worth spending twice as much?

all imho of course...

Dell Studio

Pretty sure you can get that spec for less than 800

try thier website - user friendly and good for 'buiding your own' so to speak.

Got my son one for Uni (gaming/surfing lol), - 17" and he loves it:)

The Dell is looking like it could be the one at the minute.

4 year warranty as well works out at something like £20 more.

I'd definately be looking for something with onsite warranty and I'd steer clear of Sony laptops period.

£800 is a huge amout to spend on a laptop now. You could get two dual core machines for that price.

I have a sony and it's a bit pants to be frank.

I also have two Toshiba laptops and they have been superb through the years. They seem well made and they take being used continually virtually 12 hours a day every day with no problems!

I'm currently typing on a Dell D620 that was driven over by a car (twice). :D

I like Samsungs - I have a X11 but have a look at this

Samsung

plus there are others there - I like John Lewis...:D

Yeh, I use a Tosh but get a bit annoyed with all the in-house add-ons it wants me to play with.

Toshiba this...Toshiba that...Toshiba the next thing.......GO AWAY.:mad:

on my 2nd Dell now have an XPS M1530 got it from the Dell outlet for £500 this was a great price just go and have a look.

I'm currently typing on a Dell D620 that was driven over by a car (twice). :D

Me too (work unit) - yes very robust - and 'soup-proof' also:D

I think you are right - I installed 4Gb RAM in my desktop (P4 3.2GHz Processor) but have XP SP3 installed - only registers the RAM as 3.5Gb!!

But you now well prepared for windows 7 ..:D

The Dell is looking like it could be the one at the minute.

4 year warranty as well works out at something like £20 more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I would highly recommend Dell as well....I had commercial dealings with them in the past and I whilst I know their products are top notch, seeing what importance they put to the after-sales service was eye-opening...in latter days I have found the need to use the warranty service and it is "as described"...brilliant !

I'm looking at getting another laptop for up to around £800

I'm not to bothered on the screen size (15"+)

But I do want 400GB + HDD and 4GB ram.
Blu ray would be nice too.

Any ideas?

Acer do some quite nice 16" laptops for around £600+ depending on the configuration. Blu-ray is available.

Yes I have looked at some Acers and although its a trivial point they really wind me up how they split the partition in the HDD. I know I can re install myself but why should I spend time doing this on a new product.

The second to last laptop on this page looks like a good deal.

Dell Vostro 1510 Jet Black with camera Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HDD DVD+/-RW Bluetooth Wi-Fi 15.4" WXGA+ Vista Business 256Mb NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS 3 Year On site Dell Warranty

Price: £439.00 (£504.85 Including VAT at 15%)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom