New laptop required - anyone seen any good deals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Right - back on track again guys, a new car got the vote last month, new laptop is now a priority asap!

Anyway, been looking back again at Dell and they don't seem to have any outstanding offers at present. Been looking back where I left off with IBM (or whoever makes the ThinkPads now! ;) ) and I'm considering something like this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=92193

Spec seems adequate for my needs, and the price seems ok - anyone seen a better deal recently before I order something along these lines in the next few days?

Many thanks again guys - I know we've been through quite a lot of this before! :eek:

Cheers :)

Will

Thinkpad

Must say i've been driving a company IBM T41 laptop for about 18 months now and apart from a couple of keys falling off the keyboard after dropping it,
its been totally fault free.
(ps I was amazed to watch the service office replace the keyboard in less than 5 minutes )

Steve

Last edited:
Cheaper Laptops

Hey Guys,

If you need cheaper Laptops by any of the folowing brands, let me know i may be able to beat what your currently paying.

IBM
ASUS
SAMSUNG

This was about the best spec for the money i have seen from Comet

£499

Acer Aspire 3502WLMI
1.4Ghz 400Mhz FSB, 1Mb l2 Cahce)
15.4" WXGA Acer Crystal Brite TFT LCD
40GB HDD
DVD R/RW Double Layer
512MB DDR
802.11B/G Wireless LAN

Only downside shared graphics memory.

Personally, I like the smaller more portable laptops especially any X series IBM. I don't know how some of you guys manage to get through so many, I'm still on a 3 or 4 year old X21 and it's absolutely fine (not for gaming though). My daughter has a secondhand T23 or 24 and same thing but bigger.

Anyway, as to what I'd get in your price range I'd definitely go for another IBM. I always understood the R series to be built a little on the flimsy side compared to the T series though.

Also, all IBM's come standard with 3 years warranty don't they? The only thing I ever called them for was a replacement installation CD and they couldn't have been more helpful.

How about a T43? I didn't spend too long looking around and maybe this one's a little dear but it must be possible to get a nice T series something within budget. Another thing to bear in mind is if you intend replacing it again in a year or so you'll get a very good price for it on Ebay.

http://www.toyecomputer.co.uk/products.asp?intProdCat_ID=1

This site has some good reviews too that you might find interesting.

http://www.notebookreview.com/

Will,

Drop me a PM with your specific requirements and budget, and I'll sort you out with an IBM [Lenovo] ThinkPad, which will be cheaper than anything else you'll find.

There was a reference above to ThinkPad manufacturing moving to China - and therefore the build quality may be affected .....

ThinkPad manufacturing was moved to China 6 years ago ;)

Plus - you can't be too far from me - so I'll get a machine that you can borrow and play with ... and if you are happy, then cool.

K

Thanks again guys, and Kinky - PM sent :)

Cheers,

Will

I was interested to read this thread. I did a search for Dell to see how people get on with them.

I'm looking to buy my son a Laptop for Christmas, I'd thought about Dell because of the warranty and perceived customer service but now I'm wondering.

From what you chaps have said the IBM seems like a good choice, the thing is he's only 9 so it probably needs to be relatively sturdy and max budget is £500, do you think the IBMs would fit the bill?

Any advice would be apprecaited!

OGiii said:
From what you chaps have said the IBM seems like a good choice, the thing is he's only 9 so it probably needs to be relatively sturdy and max budget is £500, do you think the IBMs would fit the bill?

Think you will struggle to get a new IBM for £500 and I wouldnt buy a laptop second hand unless it was very very cheap.

Personally, I dont think a laptop is a good idea for a 9 year old. Most adults around here (work) are incapable of looking after a laptop adequately let alone a 9 year old. If you do get one, make sure you get accidental damage cover for it - you'll need it. I'd put money on it that you'll need a screen replacement within the six months due to the laptop bag being used as a goalpost or some such activity.

Totally agree with Sp!ke on this one - I don't let our 8 yr old anywhere near my works lappy - purely because of the way I see how he "uses" the home PC!!

I did think that but to be honest but he's had a protable dvd player with a 7" LCD screen for a couple of years and he's looked after that OK. Likewise his Gameboy SP, OK I know they're going to be more robust than a Laptop but I think it's worth the risk.

You might be on to something there Fuzzer, thanks mate!

Now I told the missus it would be £400 hence my £500 i.e. £499.99 :D

Time to see if there are some spec options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom