New LCD TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Well I have finally decorated the loungue, laid the new floor, decorated the walls, put up new lights and wall lights, installed a new fire and fireplace and thought my work here was done, but oh no SWMBO has decided the TV looks old fashioned and spoils the new decor, so I need to buy a new TV, now I know quite a bit about LCD panels and what manufacturers use which panel, but thats only part of the picture (pun intended) so I'm after recommendations from my MB Club Pals, my requirements are.

32" LCD ( She wont go bigger & it fits perfect)
1080p
integrated Freeview
Must have PC input, 2 x scart 2 x HDMI +RGB as a minimum
Must have a Gloss Black Surround

I am tending to lean towards the LG range but must admit could use some feedback from users with similar to the above

Thanks

We've got a Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p, which is excellent and has everything you mention.

TBH I would have a look at what is winning group tests at the moment ... there are a few magazines in WH Smith plus web reviews etc.

That's how we picked the Aquos. Went to see it 'in the flesh' at a couple of shops, then got a good deal online.

As you know, the LCD panels are shared between makes. So it's all about the software really ... how well low-def inputs are handled, for example. They all look stunning with a 1080p input (we have a PS3), but we watch standard Freeview most of the time so it was important that was handled well.

If you really can't go bigger than 32" that's fine, but be aware that you WILL get used to the size very quickly indeed! Our 42" seemed huge to start with, but now I wish I'd got a 46".

I recently bought myself a Samsung 32" LCD TV from Sainsburys for £322. It was cheaper than some LG's and cheaper than Tesco. Plus I got loads of nectar points!

PC connector
3 x HDMI
2 x Scart
Internal Freeview
Glossy black

Cant find the other info.....surely it should be written somewhere?

The new Sony range are fantastic.
The screen thickness is no more than a single sheet of glass for most of the area.
The picture quality is superb as well.
Whichever one you do get DO make sure its at least 100HZ refresh. I think the new Sonys are 200HZ - so even clearer.
Go somewhere like John Lewis to see the full range demonstrated properly with no pressure.

I'm more than happy with my sony LCD

Superb picture and on Blue rays its awesome?

What about the new Samsung LED's and the Panasonics with Freesat HD?

What ever you buy you will probably be happy with I know I had a nightmare choosing but once home you have nothing to compare.

I would also try and push for a 37" or 40" as it is amazing how quickly you get use to the size. Especialy watching a film :)

Forgot to mention, 5 yr warranty with Sony / Costco / John Lewis

I always buy Sony for LCD televisions - the two key considerations are:

1) the picture quality depends on what your input is i.e. analogue won't be as good as freeview which won't be as good as Sky and that won't be as good as Sky HD etc

2) Some of the cheaper brands have really poor sound quality. My first LCD was an LG and it is great, apart from terrible sound. IF you attach a home cinema system, then it doesn't matter as much, but make sure you have a good listen to a few as well when you make your choice.

I also have a Sharp. Mine does not have the glossy surround nor the shiny screen. My TV sits adjacent to a window in a south facing room, sometimes with the sun actually on the screen; and we can still see everything. Glossy surrounds and screens are decorative but totally impractical IMO. However, if you don't have the above conditions, no problem, but the surround could be distracting when reflecting lights etc in the room.

Purchased a Samsung 1080p 32 inch LCD from John Lewis's in January and one of their hard drives. The television was easy to set up but the hard drive threw a wobbley so that got sent back to JL - no probs in getting another one from them.

5 year guarantee on both and very pleased with the definition. However, the programs are still cr4p.

The biggest differentiator between LCD TV's is how they handle fast moving images, e.g. motorsport. Panasonic certainly had this sorted better than anyone else even three years ago, but no doubt others have caught up a bit by now.

I've had a Panasonic TX32-LXD500 for 3 or 4 years and it is and has been superb. Like others have already said, you get used to a larger flat panel TV very quickly, and I'd suggest deciding what size you think is right now, and then buy the next size up!

I'd buy a LCD that had a refresh rate of 100Hz

I bought an LG plasma a couple of years back , and within a month it had karked it ...

Took it back and swapped it for a Samsung which has been faultless.

The biggest differentiator between LCD TV's is how they handle fast moving images, e.g. motorsport. Panasonic certainly had this sorted better than anyone else even three years ago, but no doubt others have caught up a bit by now.

No problems with the Samsung LCD. The F1 cars on Sunday were moving across the screen smoothly and, at the beginning of the race, some pieces of cars were even flying through the air. :thumb:

I'd buy a LCD that had a refresh rate of 100Hz

Don't the new Sony's offer 200Hz?

If it were my shiny pennies I were spending I would be having a serious look at the Samsung LED sets.

Gremlins aside, their LCD TV's were about as good as they come without spending loony money for Pioneer <drools>

If... and I own an LG LCD TV, you decide to get an LG, buy the 7000 series version as the lower variants 3000 etc tend to ghost in the middle of the panel.

I have a 1080i LG bought from Argos for £299.

Value for money is FAB, OK not the latest technology, but at that price, more than good enough.

I think the picture is great.

We've got a Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p, which is excellent and has everything you mention.

TBH I would have a look at what is winning group tests at the moment ... there are a few magazines in WH Smith plus web reviews etc.

That's how we picked the Aquos. Went to see it 'in the flesh' at a couple of shops, then got a good deal online.

As you know, the LCD panels are shared between makes. So it's all about the software really ... how well low-def inputs are handled, for example. They all look stunning with a 1080p input (we have a PS3), but we watch standard Freeview most of the time so it was important that was handled well.

If you really can't go bigger than 32" that's fine, but be aware that you WILL get used to the size very quickly indeed! Our 42" seemed huge to start with, but now I wish I'd got a 46".

We have the same one, cost a fortune when we got it, the same model is quite cheap now. Got it from John Lewis though so at least I know it will last 5 years...

They are all quite cheap if you continue to look at them....once bought don't.

They get better and become cheaper, like anything.

The first Blueray players were nearly £1000 now £150 will buy one, soon they will be £50 or less

For the best picture quality, I would stick to Sony, Panasonic or Philips. Samsung are pretty good & might be a bit cheaper
We have a 26" Panasonic in the kitchen- truly excellent! 40" Toshiba not so good & has a slow menu system.
The Sonys only do 200Hz on bigger sets
Currently I am also looking for a 32" for the bedroom. It appears Philips do very little at this size. Current magazine reviews are rating the Sony KDL32V5500U as one of the best 32" sets, although it is at the higher end pricewise- cheapest approx £590 on net or £700 John Lewis with 5yr guarantee

Interesting comment Smatt, Philips aren't usually mentioned in the same breath as picture quality.

Best thing to do is to look at the TV's in a shop like Comet where you can at least "test" picture quality on a level playing field.

Then choose the one you like the best, before escaping the shop and buying off the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom