New lease of life for laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
My laptop (Toshiba i3 with 8GB) seemed to be getting pretty sluggish so swapped out the HDD for SSD. Very easy to do, not hugely expensive (circa £60 for 500GB or £40 for 256GB) and has given it a new lease of life!

Moral of the story is (dependant on what you use the machine for) you don't need to buy a new one for it to meet your needs.

An SSD is a very good upgrade, makes things super speedy, especially things like reboot etc :)

If you do a full reinstall, clean out bloar wear, ram and SSD upgrades it's amazing how your PC will respond. Hence if you ever do buy a new laptop buy the best display possible.

I've given up now with all the kids machines trying to install and clean them when they get snail slow.

I now simply wipe them, do a clean install and give them back, amazing how they go after a clean install and saves me lots of time

Thats perfect Steve, swap out for an SDD and pop some more RAM if any slots available, clean OS install and it will fly. the newer Win 10 have less bloatware by default.

My newest laptop is around 7-8 years old. With an SSD fitted I have absolutely no reason for anything more recent.
It starts up in under 10 secs and is fast enough for what I use it for.
I don't store anything on it so use an external drive and NAS for storage.

the newer Win 10 have less bloatware by default.

I use a debloat Win10 script to turn off any unwanted features - e.g. Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom