New Mac software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigel cross

MB Enthusiast
Car
W164 ML350 Audi S4
If you are going to upgrade your Mac to the new Yosemite software, make sure you have a time machine backup.
I upgraded my iMac last night and it killed it, so had to restore via a time machine backup which took 5 hours.
Good news is, that it worked ok, so beware

As soon as I saw it was free, I suspected that Apple were 'doing a Windows' and using the end user to find the bugs. I'll wait a few months………about version .03 I think. Thanks for the heads up.

If you're going to upgrade the OS, first make a clone to an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. If the upgrade fails you can restore the whole drive from a clone in a matter of minutes - depending, of course, on how much data is on the drive

Nick Froome

The 'new' OS X has been in beta since June, so it'll be relatively bug free.. I downloaded it from the mac store, 3 or 4 clicks and my iMac was upgraded.. Doesn't get better than that :)

If you're going to upgrade the OS, first make a clone to an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. If the upgrade fails you can restore the whole drive from a clone in a matter of minutes - depending, of course, on how much data is on the drive

Nick Froome

Agreed. CCC is excellent.

The 'new' OS X has been in beta since June, so it'll be relatively bug free.. I downloaded it from the mac store, 3 or 4 clicks and my iMac was upgraded.. Doesn't get better than that :)

Agreed.

We upgraded most of the office using both a separate boot disk (clean install) and the upgrade option. No problems yet....

I've decided to sit this one out - my MBP17 is not a sping chicken anymore, and I'm perfectly happy with Mavericks, in fact it is now considerably faster than when it was new, thanks to maxed out RAM and two fast SSDs ;) When the time comes to buy a new laptop, it'll have the latest OS X anyway ...

I've decided to sit this one out - my MBP17 is not a sping chicken anymore, and I'm perfectly happy with Mavericks, in fact it is now considerably faster than when it was new, thanks to maxed out RAM and two fast SSDs ;) When the time comes to buy a new laptop, it'll have the latest OS X anyway ...

My Specs:

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
2.2 GHz i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
500 GB Solid State SATA Drive

Yosemite is definitely sharper and just a tad faster. No problems.

I thought I was going to have problems with my install too, it froze for ages and I had to turn it off, luckily when it came back on it sorted itself out.

I see Apple are now offering 8.1 for the IPad. Once again, I think I will wait a while before taking the plunge. Anyone tried 8.1 yet?

I see Apple are now offering 8.1 for the IPad. Once again, I think I will wait a while before taking the plunge. Anyone tried 8.1 yet?

Yes, downloaded it a couple of days back for my 6+. Not noticed any new functionality, but it seems stable enough - although seems to be taking longer than normal to charge.

My Specs:

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
2.2 GHz i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
500 GB Solid State SATA Drive

Yosemite is definitely sharper and just a tad faster. No problems.

Nice! I wish I bought the last 17" MBP, but at the time mine (mid-2010) wasn't that old ... Unfortunately it won't take more than 8GB RAM, although two 960GB SSDs kinda compensate for it LOL

Nice! I wish I bought the last 17" MBP, but at the time mine (mid-2010) wasn't that old ... Unfortunately it won't take more than 8GB RAM, although two 960GB SSDs kinda compensate for it LOL

Yes, I have a mid 10 too, it's maxed up (only 8Gb) and is significantly slower:(

I'll probably SSD that too, although it's largely used with a Wacom so that might be overkill.

Yes, I have a mid 10 too, it's maxed up (only 8Gb) and is significantly slower:(

I'll probably SSD that too, although it's largely used with a Wacom so that might be overkill.

Ian, I have just got my hands on the new Mac Mini to use with the Wacom, didn't like the glossy screen on iMac. Came with Yosemite and now use the Wacom as the main display:thumb:

Looking for a wireless keyboard and mouse if anyone has a spare one sitting around.

Ian, I have just got my hands on the new Mac Mini to use with the Wacom, didn't like the glossy screen on iMac. Came with Yosemite and now use the Wacom as the main display:thumb:

Looking for a wireless keyboard and mouse if anyone has a spare one sitting around.

That sounds like an excellent idea.

I thought I was going to have problems with my install too, it froze for ages and I had to turn it off, luckily when it came back on it sorted itself out.

Exactly that for me......the download phase took about 45 mins, the install about 25 mins then on Restart.......total freeze up.
Did this twice (found how to reboot it when frozen), but same result. This being about 1.30 am by this time so shut the lid!

Many curses and all ready with call placed to Apple Support next morning. It was frozen on start up but when I looked again there was the Yosemite screen looking back at me.

I've often thought Apples tend to sort themselves out overnight when they've been worked hard. How they do this?

Wish I saw this earlier... I stupidly took the easy way out on getting xcode and just installed 10.10 as I couldn't find xcode for my old one...

Then spent most of last weekend rebuilding my computer.

Still facing some issues, one of which is that it seems to not like UDP traffic anymore... and it seems to have lost compatibility with my backup solution...

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom