NEW MAF for £30 gave me ABSOLUTELY AMAZING REULTS...5 minutes to fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wezzley

Absolutely astonished with the improvement, car has never felt so good. feels like I have added 100hp and 10x to the response time.

I'd been having major probs, intermittent at first but getting more & more constant with my 99 clk 320, 110k miles;

**sluggish starts in first, especially after starting the engine'
**lumpy' acceleration, - sometimes giving the sensation of a blocked tube taking a second or two to clear before revs responded
**power loss when flooring it - revs just falling away then not responding
**rev surges when putting foot down but no response in acceleration
**trying to accelerate only for revs to drop down to and get capped at 2k
**having to pull over and restart to fix..or limp along until it cleared

Today fitted a new MAF off ebay for £30 delivered...result is astonishing:

ALL above problems completely GONE :)

Amazing how much influence the MAF seems to have on the transmission.

Thought I would share...as may be able to help people with similar symptons & also save them money on the part and labour as it seems that the cheapo non mb Bosch part (which would have cost 150 + labour) works just fine...& is very simple to fit.

Last edited:
Do a search on here and mbworld and benzworld:D

Lynall

Thing is, if your car had all them problems and you got the genuine part £150 plus vat and fitting (assuming you had it fitted)

Then surely that's a great price to get your car runing like new again?

The reports from non-OEM MAF sensors is quite mixed, but OEM ones get a near 100% success rate.

Hi A210AMG, agree 150 would have been a great price to fix all the probs...but £30 is an even better price...:) Thing is, I couldn't be sure the maf was the prob & didn't want to spend too much to find out. Have just found it was the prob very cheaply & can always get the proper part if this one dosent last long.

What was the username of the Ebay Seller ?
Please report back in 6 months time and let us all know how your gettin on with it.
I've recently had MAF problems also and having been considering the Ebay options etc. I tried 2 from German Swedish French for about £40, neither of them was any good, both was worse than my original and neither clicked securely into place on my plug/lead.They refunded both for me.
I've heard good reports about Pierburg MAF's for about £90 but opted for a Bosch unit from www.airmassmeters.com for £142 delivered.
Like you Wezzley it has made a massive improvement! You may be lucky with your Ebay MAF and I hope you have been but many report them being great like you, leave the good feedback on Ebay then after a few months they fail.

I would never use those cheapo Maf's.

Good for nothing part. Stick with Bosch etc.

Fit a Bosch one and see even mre difference.

Hi Aletank

Yep Ill report back..

I fully accept that it may not last long being a cheapo part, but at the very least, for £30 I have diagnosed the problem...so I am very chuffed today :)

I can pm you the username if you like (don't want to be accused of being the seller!) but not sure how to pm here..?

Thanks for the heads up on getting the real part folks...now I know what the problem was, I might well fork out for it.

I dont have a problem with pattern parts as i have never fitted a genuine part to anything ever:D and never had any probs so far!

But i am a mech and what i call a little adjustment, non mechs would not be happy.

Well thats a lie i just bought gen wiper blades from merc today for the wifes w203

But from what i have read on pattern mafs even i would go genuine or bosch direct and im a tight git.

Plus from your post which i thought was somehow worded as an advert i assumed you were the seller from e-bay and i bet im not the only one who thought that:D

Lynall

I'm not always anti non Bosch/MB - but for a part that should last 10 years or more, I don't mind paying £150 - rather than £30 every year.

There are certain things that are cheap enough to keep replacing, but after experiencing limp mode on my gearbox myself (Not fun! Especially when 38 tonne lorries are overtaking you...), I'd rather have the genuine item for the future.

Hi chaps, cheers, fair comments, I should get the new part. When I got it, I was mostly thinking for £30 its a cheap way to find out if this is the problem...probably strange logic for some :) Yep I can see how my blind enthusiasm probably looks a bit dodgy!..but if you look at my first post you'll see I was trying to find out the problem ages ago. I'm so happy..I'm off for a drive.

Glad you got it sorted , but rather than gambilng it was the MAS , you could have had the fault codes read and known for sure , before you forked out for anything .

The Ebay MAS might work ok , but you will find an OEM one will work even better.

Hi Howard,

Thanks for your sentiments. Agreed, it was a gamble...but a calculated one - I rang around a lot & noone would offer to do the codes for free.

ps nice wheels :)

does a MAF chuck a code? mines gone on my CLK I just brought, funnily enough a `99 320 too, will prob get a bosch one from Camberly Auto Factors as I tried one of their Pierburg ones in my Audi and it drank fuel and smoked a lot so am tended not to use them again, I heard somewhere thats there are a lot of remanufactured MAFs around and its luck of the draw wether they work or not, sound like you were lucky Wezzley, and yes, it transforms the car it 2 mins and makes you fall in love again!!!

Yeah , we watched the MAS faulting on my dads 430 on Ollys star machine .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom