new MAF, is there much difference between brands?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ashimashi

Car
1995 W124 E220 Estate (7 Seater)
I'm looking at replacing a MAF on a 1995 W124 E220, and there is such a wide range of options and prices.

I can get Qiunton Hazell for €91, BBT for €97, Meat and Doria for €300+ and Bosch for around the same.

Then there is cheap ebay options like NEW Air Flow Mass meter MAF Sensor MERCEDES 220E E230 | eBay or 1x AMF MAF METER SENSOR MERCEDES BENZ E-CLASS C124 E 220 S124 E 220 T | eBay or MERCEDES-BENZ Mass Air Flow meter Sensor 0280217114 0000940948 (1ST DELIVERY) | eBay

In your experience, is there much difference between different brands in terms of quality/longevity? Is it worth paying more for the premium brands, or are the cheapo ebay ones best avoided?

€300! Personally, I'd only opt for a Bosch or Pierburg only. Have a good shop around.

yes I know, but Quinton and Hazel is not that "cheap" a brand. And also, with the ones that are £25 you could not only by twice, you can buy 6 of them!!!

What I would like to know is, in addition to longevity, is there any other differences in quality? They are either measuring the air flow or not, is there anything else?!

If you invest in good original air filters and change them on schedule and keep the intake spotlessly clean then the MAF should last indefinitely. Be aware of using silicon sprays near the intakes - a killer of MAFs:fail

I was having issues with my EML coming on and suspected the MAF , so I bought the cheap aftermarket one from ECP at £34 .

At first I thought I'd bought a dud as it made no difference . Then I bought a dongle for the OBD port and downloaded the torque app for my iPhone . Sure enough there was the fault code for MAF low output , and another for the swirl flaps .

On resetting the codes , the MAF hasn't faulted again ; need to do the flaps during the holidays .

The lesson is that it is useless to just replace the part without resetting the fault code .

My cheap aftermarket MAF has been just fine since ; and to double check I did put the original one back in , code cleared , and it threw the fault after 100 yds driving , so was definitely faulty .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom