New MB Bonnet Badge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Anyone else, with a black car presumably, considering swapping their existing dark blue / navy bonnet star (the flat one) for the new Mercedes black one?

I always felt the blue badge, on an otherwise monochrome car, looked a tad out of place ...

I've been looking at swapping mine for a black one. But don't think I have the balls to drill and and pull it off.
Apparently the bottom half of the badge has no body work under the badge and this is the place to drill a hole to pull the badge off?
Ben:thumb:

I thought these are just push and release kind of things - from the bottom? Looking at the locking / holding part?

I would like the black bonnet badge however my
current blue one doesnt have pin holes in the back, instead it has a pop in and twist mechanism. does anyone know where i can get a black one??

that's the one thanks! been looking for ages! away to order them
now

I just have to figure out which ones I need for the ML & CLS.

I just have to figure out which ones I need for the ML & CLS.

Would probably be one or another - either the two pins or twist and lock type?

If you can't access it from under the bonnet, it is more than likely the two pins type (unless there are ten more different types I don't know about)?

Just 'popped' the cls one off the bonnet, unfortunately as luck would have it (after the boss told me to leave it alone) one of the pins snapped off and now is stuck in the hole :(

An update: got the A0008171801, and it will NOT fit W169, R230 et al - the fixing pins are completely different (to what was shown in the eBay listing), as is the shape of the bottom of the badge.

I have advised MB Newcastle and they've now removed the second photo (showing wrong pins and shape) from their listing.

Here's a couple of pics of the actual thing:

33864988311_4aea102fb4_o.jpg

33864989701_d79e6f98cc_o.jpg

33864990301_864fd6dd6b_o.jpg

33837137152_a744d333f8_o.jpg

33609367670_5370dd1528_o.jpg

33837138462_e21ee6736a_o.jpg

Such a shame, it would've been perfect for a black car.

Contemplating a DIY solution to fix it, but I hate that kind of "fittings" ...

Just 'popped' the cls one off the bonnet, unfortunately as luck would have it (after the boss told me to leave it alone) one of the pins snapped off and now is stuck in the hole :(

Sorry to hear that. You might have to use a 3M VHB round sticker to aid the remaining single pin - I fixed a [flat] badge to my old W168 that way and it was fine for three years or so, until I sold the car, and am sure is still okay today (two years on).

I'm actually contemplating trimming off fixing pins from the one I bought (as above) and sticking it like that - it looks absolutely fabulous, and can't be any better for a black car ...

On the subject of the bonnet badge removal - I used this little concoction, and it worked perfectly: no scratches, no mess, no marks on either the badge or the paintwork.

It's basically an unwanted plastic card, with one edge sharpened, and a piece of high-density foam stuck to the middle of it with double-sided 3M tape, and turned over, to prevent any possible damage/marks to the bonnet. The turned edges are held together with gorilla tape for a good measure. Not pretty, but perfectly functional and free :bannana:

33953973326_9d73b34e08_o.jpg

33953973776_2ff493e478_o.jpg

33953974096_9885b0e230_o.jpg

Sorry to hear that. You might have to use a 3M VHB round sticker to aid the remaining single pin - I fixed a [flat] badge to my old W168 that way and it was fine for three years or so, until I sold the car, and am sure is still okay today (two years on).

I'm actually contemplating trimming off fixing pins from the one I bought (as above) and sticking it like that - it looks absolutely fabulous, and can't be any better for a black car ...

Apologies for not being clear, I was referring to the old badge, snapped the pin whilst removing it. Good news for me.....I have managed to remove the broken pin (screwed a very narrow screw into it and pulled it out).
Bad news for me....I have just read the thread update about the badge not fitting. Sure that was referring to the W169 fitment, but something tells me I may have the same issue on the CLS as its an older model MB.

So now I have no badge on the bonnet, and one removed broken one, but really want a black one. Looks like I will have to get one ordered and make it fit :D

Haven't figured out which one I need for the ML as the bonnet catch is covering the underside, so without removing the catch I cannot tell.

Shame yours doesn't fit, but am sure by the time you have finished tinkering it will look like it grew there :p

Yes, it's a good tool - I too have a couple of bojo ones, and a full set of no-name ones (like those (Voche) in "similar items suggestions" under the listing you linked), and also a cheap 4-piece yellow set (again, as shown under you listing), haha ... maybe I have just enough trim removal tools, oh, wait also a metal one too. Anyway, bojo or similar will leave a mark on a bonnet, if not aided by a piece of foam, so I thought might as well do a dedicated one :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom