New MB car order - specifying tyre options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartynW

Car
No longer on this forum
I'm just about to sign off the spec to order my new MB and I am in nitpicking mode before I chat again with the salesman and I wondered if anyone here has any relevant experience or inside knowledge which would help me?

There's plenty of choice of wheel of course but the brochures and specs give no clue about tyres, apart from allowing me to shelll out massively on a second set if I so wish and had a huge budget (I don't). I've not gone for big wheels, just ordinary R18s, and so the spec just lists 'R05 Summer Tyres' but I've no idea yet what these would be (I shall be asking the dealership on Monday of course). My attempts at research failed as I have so far found Bridgestone and Yokohama press releases both claiming to have the supply contract and yet photos of 2016 used cars on the dealer's own website show one GLC with Michelin and another with Pirelli tyres!

So before I risk having a too robust discussion with the poor salesman, my question is this:
Is MB known to flexible with the choice of tyre fitted on the production line or will I just have to be a good boy and take whatever happens to be sitting on the factory shelf in Bremen?
I know Pirelli have produced a suitable all-season MOE tyre and would like to specify that, but will the computer say 'nein'?

Last edited:
You cannot influence the choice of tyre manufacturer. You will get what you're given.

I do find this rather weird. Everything else on the car has plenty of options but I can't select from a shortlist of MB-approved tyres. In some other markets, China for example, one can choose run flats for any model of GLC, in the UK just for big wheels, seemingly, and that's standard. In Germany you can select for both 19 and 20 inch or add a jack and spare in a bag to your order, I am told. Even then, you probably have no say over the manufacturer. All pretty random, when it's the same production line surely? I have a little experience in automotive logistics and know that's not going to be the limiting factor, so I have to conclude it is down to some marketing genius who has deemed that your typical UK buyer is only concerned with selecting carbon fibre cup holders with an AMG badge, to max out his company car allowance. :dk:

Retirement is fun but it does give you too much time to grump about everything!

Most, if not all car manufacturers use several tyre suppliers. So would I am sure they would be able to provide a list of these and would not wish to lose a sale if you insisted on a particular tyre manufacturer for your car from this list...

Be careful what you wish for... It wouldn't surprise me if the dealer took your request and on delivery simply ran the car round to the local tyre shop and have them fit what you requested.

The handbook for my SL says
Fit only tyres which have been tested and approved by us.
Only certain brands of tyres are approved. Any Mercedes-Benz Service Station can provide information.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom