New MBs are so good that.....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Hi All,

As some of you know, one of my relatives is quite senior in MB Australia. We were talking about a few things the other day, and he tells me that quality on the new cars is so good that the dealers are complaining that there's not enough warranty work for them to do, and as a result, less turnover and profit!

Amazing.

Scott

I think that it is better to say that quality has improved rather than "New MBs are so good". This echoes the situation in the UK at the moment. There has been a noticeable drop in warranty work over the past 12 months as quality has been improved at the factories. Dealers here are hurting from the drop in income and it is no surprise to see some of them offering discounts on servicing on older cars (3 plus and 6 plus etc) in order to take up the surplus capacity in the workshop.

Fantastic...!!!! :devil:

May be the level of After Sales sevice from the Stealers may improve too as well in order to keep customers going back. :)

It's funny that Scott has started this thread as last week when I was ordering my new ML I was having a chat with the service guys joking about the car park bieng empty. It turns out that over the last few months their warranty work has dropped so dramatically that they now have only three service desks instead of the normal five.
It's gotta be good news surely.:)

So what about the existing warranty work that needs to be carried out on 2000 to 2005 models?
The quality on those vehicles hasn't suddenly improved. I would expect things to quieten down after these models had begun to fade out of existence.
Maybe I am just a bit cynical but that seems like a bit of spin to me.
Tell everyone quality has improved and people will believe it, at first anyway?
Mac.

Time for an A service for me in a couple of weeks and a need for an annoying front suspension creak plus an aggressive down-change 3->2 on the 7G to be sorted out.

Can't wait to be greeted by a smiling Service man who has used his free time to be all clued up on the service notices covering these 2 known issues!

Will be nice to be able to get a courtesy car with less than 3 weeks notice too!

Seriously, this would be the icing on the cake - the car is great - all cars have issues - its the experience getting them sorted that separates the men from the boys.

marcos said:
I was having a chat with the service guys joking about the car park bieng empty. It turns out that over the last few months their warranty work has dropped so dramatically that they now have only three service desks instead of the normal five.

Perhaps the Stealership car parks are now empty because most of the vehicles are all now at the bodyshops to have the rust sorted...! :devil:

machasm said:
So what about the existing warranty work that needs to be carried out on 2000 to 2005 models?
The quality on those vehicles hasn't suddenly improved. I would expect things to quieten down after these models had begun to fade out of existence.
Maybe I am just a bit cynical but that seems like a bit of spin to me.
Tell everyone quality has improved and people will believe it, at first anyway?
Mac.

Good question but my E has had no problems whatsoever for a good couple of years now.

Maybe they have changed so many older parts for newer better built parts on the older models there is nothing left to go wrong:confused:

Flash said:
Perhaps the Stealership car parks are now empty because most of the vehicles are all now at the bodyshops to have the rust sorted...! :devil:
Indeed; quite a queue at the bodyshop the other day. Mine's booked in for warranty repair work (rust!) .... 1 November!

marcos said:
Good question but my E has had no problems whatsoever for a good couple of years now.
I think your in line with most owners. Sadly the media management at DaimlerChrysler is worse than useless. Look at the workshops of a Toyota garage and they are still booked up with both servicing and repair work, but folks believe they are 'rock solid' vehicles. It just goes to show how easily some folks are influenced!

You and I are supposed to own an unreliable vehicle fraught with electronic gremlins, and the sad thing is there is nothing you can say that will convince non owners that the car is reliable!

John

w124coupe said:
Time for an A service for me in a couple of weeks and a need for an annoying front suspension creak plus an aggressive down-change 3->2 on the 7G to be sorted out.

He also told me about the problems with the 7g gearbox, and that there was now a fix? (Wasn't really paying attention.....).

scotth_uk said:
He also told me about the problems with the 7g gearbox, and that there was now a fix? (Wasn't really paying attention.....).
Numerous service bulletins on this very issue including the latest facelift E-class. Make sure you check with the service manger that your car has received all the latest updates and make sure your gearbox is silky smoth throughout the WHOLE range.

Regards,
John

Yes. To do with adaption data for filling cycles within the box I believe.

I found the US versions on Alldata but they don't have an E280CDI over there so my model isn't in the list. Will do nicely as evidence though in case they tell me the neck-snap feature when slowing down is standard.

Flyer said:
Indeed; quite a queue at the bodyshop the other day. Mine's booked in for warranty repair work (rust!) .... 1 November!

Good luck Flyer.

I went to get collect my Dad's W220 from the bodyshop on Saturday for the rust issues and this was the vehicle's second visit and now the vehicle has had a total respray apart from the roof/bonnet/bumpers from its two visits to the bosyshop. The car is now going to a new home and did have nano pant prior to the visits to the bodyshop...:(

The bodyshop was packed with MBs in for warranty work and one customer turned up in a 54 plate W211 to submit a claim...:crazy:

Flash said:
one customer turned up in a 54 plate W211 to submit a claim...:crazy:
Hi Flash,
Any idea what the problem was with the 54 plate car?

Regards
John

glojo said:
Hi Flash,
Any idea what the problem was with the 54 plate car?

Regards
John

Hi John,

Was minor as paint was bubbling on the rear quarter panel on passenger side and was only noticeable once the guy had pointed it out.

Flash said:
Hi John,

Was minor as paint was bubbling on the rear quarter panel on passenger side and was only noticeable once the guy had pointed it out.
Certainly not good and it is interesting so that other members can check their vehicles. Was it a saloon and whereabouts on the rear quarter panel was it? I am picturing either near the boot??

Regards
John

It was a saloon in Tealite Blue an t he bubble/blistering area was on the pillar.

scotth_uk said:
Hi All,

As some of you know, one of my relatives is quite senior in MB Australia. We were talking about a few things the other day, and he tells me that quality on the new cars is so good that the dealers are complaining that there's not enough warranty work for them to do, and as a result, less turnover and profit!

Amazing.

Scott

Hi Scott..quite senior hey, hmmm must be true what he is sayin then ...hopefully you wouldnt be seeing new cars in the warranty section anyway ?....especially mercedes !I mean if he is gettin excited about that then I would be very concerned !....maybe we should wait at least a year or two before he gets too excited..... for his bonus...I suppose this will be a performance indicator !!... Please forgive my synical attitude.............:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom