New member 124 engine loom

Discussion in 'Engine' started by bieny, Nov 16, 2008.

1. bieny

bieny Member

Car:
    1993 320ce
    hi,
    Just bought myself a 1993 320ce and found the forum, just wish id done it the other way round!
    I bought the car cheap from a guy at work who was moving abroad, the car has a stalling/idle problem. before he left we read the fault codes and came up with maf sensor, lambda over/under, and the flappy thing in the inlet.

so i bought the car and a new maf. After fitting it i wound the idle back to where it should be (he had it wound up to prevent stalling) and the problem was better for a while but now its back.

Pluged in again today and maf was back along with the other faults, also found that if i bypassed the regeneration valve it helped with the stalling but still rough idle.There are no ignition faults.

So i got some new plugs and leads but when i went to fit them i noticed the loom by the thermostat had bare wires hanging out :( , after reading lost of posts on the topic i didnt remove the engine cover as i have to use the car every day and didnt want to do any further damage by moving the wires.

So it looks like i need to change the loom, wheres the cheapest place to get the loom from? im tempted to make my own but looks like some of the plugs are sealed, has anyone managed to get them apart and back together again?

any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!
    benn

2. Mercedes cozy

Mercedes cozy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes ML 320 CDI W164 KEYLESS GO / (NOW WITH STAR)
    Because this is a common problem, it may be difficult to get a good second hand one. Best is to buy new. I have bought one in the past for about £500. Easy to change

3. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Hi there,

I think Ian_B_Walker has made a loom for a w124 , i'm sure he will be along soon to advise ...

I suspect , if you buy one , it will have to be from a dealer , i think they are in the region of £500 ish ....

Welcome onboard by the way !

4. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    The only place you will get an entire loom is from Mercedes-about £500ish. There are repair kits for some parts of the loom - I think someone on here wrote about them recently. Or you can try a DIY rebuild with new wiring of the right cross section. But not for the faint hearted. For some plugs you will probably have to saw them in half and then glue them together after resoldering the new wires.

5. OP
    OP
    bieny

bieny Member

Car:
    1993 320ce
    ok, i think its probably best if I go for a new one as it wont take long to fit and it would take at least a day to remove, remake and fit one from scratch.

The reason im in a rush to get it working is that my wife to be has said we can use the car at the wedding next month:bannana: , so i really want to get it running right.

I can do the plugs and leads at the same time, possibly at the risk of never knowing what the problem was (when it starts up first time and runs perfectly forever and ever and never costs me another penny ;) ).

6. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    We changed the loom on our W124 yesterday, it took a couple of hours (thanks Ian for the advice) and two of the plugs were a real pain one I ended up leaving the old plug in place and joining the new loom to it - fortunately the wiring there on the old loom was OK

cost (after a pretty healthy discount from the dealer) was £580 including VAT

The old one was completely rotten but the car seems to be running OK now so we hopefully we've escaped needing to replace the ECU

Try ringing around to see how much you can get a loom for but before you buy one make sure it's the correct one for your car - the dealers do it from chassis number to make sure all the ancillary connectors are there.

If your dealer can't or won't match that price, then let me know and I'll point you at one that can :)

edited to add..................

just looked at the dealer's receipt. Part number MA134 3440 34 33. The recommended price (before VAT) is £582 which means they should cost just short of £700 - drop me a line if that's what your dealer offers you

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  7. OP
    OP
    bieny

bieny Member

Car:
    1993 320ce
    thanks, im gona have a ring round tomorrow. My mate used to work at an indie so hes checking there tomorrow, they might be able to get it cheaper from merc?

8. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    and all the rubber moulded wiring around the coil packs :eek: which fits very precisely under the cover plate

9. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    no worries - we got a 15% discount on the retail price. I tried to push for 20% but they couldn't/wouldn't go that far :(. The good news is that they've agreed to offer that same price to any other w124 owners I refer to them.

Good luck

10. imadoofus

imadoofus Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    This and that.
    I got a small discount on mine, and it was £620.75 inc.

Mark300SL made his own, and when he explained it to me, it sounded simple, but I didn't have the courage. He explained that in many places, the insulation will have disintegrated to such an extent that you won't know what any of the colours were, so each wire will need to be metered seperately.

New one was a straight plug-in job. Takes well under two hours.

PJ

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  11. OP
    OP
    bieny

bieny Member

Car:
    1993 320ce
    i cut the loom open today by the maf just to confirm it was bad and the whole thing is just falling apart!
    So I had a ring round and the best i could get from mb in guildford was £630 inc. The indie was the same price, he knew off the top of his head as they were fitting one that day!

I think ill get one from the main dealer to use for now and when i get time remake mine and then sell the dealer one on.

I also need a new throttle cable as the old one has stretched while the idle was wound up, i can only get about 3/4 throttle:( i might be able to get round it by bending the pedal linkage to get some more travel?

12. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
  13. OP
    OP
    bieny

bieny Member

Car:
    1993 320ce
    andy_k i cant work out how to PM or email you but id like to take you up on your kind offer, where is the dealer located?

14. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    sorted :)

if anyone else needs a loom at these prices then drop me a line and I'll pass on the details

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  15. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
  16. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    You would :rolleyes: :D

17. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    sadly they said "no" when I asked for 20% :(

at least I managed to get the 15% discount as a "club price" so we all benefit :)

18. OP
    OP
    bieny

bieny Member

Car:
    1993 320ce
    going to order the loom tomorrow, thanks to andy for the bargain price! ill post results when its fitted ;)

19. gbjeppm

gbjeppm Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C207 E Coupe 350cdi, W166 ML 250 Cdi Sport, R171 SLK 350, Suzuki V Strom DL650
    I love it when a plan comes together!!

The power of the forum:D

Attached Files:

20. OP
    OP
    bieny

bieny Member

Car:
    1993 320ce
    Ordered the loom today should get it on friday:) , also ordered the new throttle cable, only about £25!

As i said when i get time in the new year i will remake my old loom and refit it to the vehicle, so if anyone is interested in buying the new one in a couple of months let me know.