New member - advice on approaching multiple dealerships...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biffothebear

Car
Audi A8 3.0tdi Sport
...to negotiate best price for a new C63 (sorry, I know mentioning C63 seems to annoy some people on this forum, which was why I never mentioned it in the title!).
I obviously want to get the best deal, particularly as I will be trading in another vehicle (Audi A8), but I'm not sure what is the most efficient way of approaching the most dealerships possible without having to physically visit them all. If anyone has had similar experience I would be grateful for the benefit of their knowledge/experience.
I am also considering an ex demo as most of them seem to be very low mileage, but am struggling to find one with the LSD and PPP both of which I really want.
One final thing - the dealerships I've spoken to (admittedly only 2 at the moment) don't seem to know too much about when the facelift C63 is due. I wonder if they are being deliberately reticent in order to protect their current income stream?

I look forward to your replies.

...to negotiate best price for a new C63 (sorry, I know mentioning C63 seems to annoy some people on this forum, which was why I never mentioned it in the title!).
I obviously want to get the best deal, particularly as I will be trading in another vehicle (Audi A8), but I'm not sure what is the most efficient way of approaching the most dealerships possible without having to physically visit them all. If anyone has had similar experience I would be grateful for the benefit of their knowledge/experience.
I am also considering an ex demo as most of them seem to be very low mileage, but am struggling to find one with the LSD and PPP both of which I really want.
One final thing - the dealerships I've spoken to (admittedly only 2 at the moment) don't seem to know too much about when the facelift C63 is due. I wonder if they are being deliberately reticent in order to protect their current income stream?

I look forward to your replies.

Do not let the ladies here that get annoyed when you mention c63 put you off mentioning c63, good luck :D and make sure you get the lsd and ppp they are a must on a new c63.

Hello

if trading in, they will want to see the car, so putting this aside, the car purchase angle.

1. dealers within same group will not compete with one another, and i used multiple names, email address, telephone numbers (i have a redirect to various numbers) and that way i saw the variances in their prices.

the best prices were from Listers Group

Wesley Wilkinson - from Mercedes Boston - best guy there - 01205 360 200
Jim Murphy - from Mercedes Lincoln - best guy there - 01522 696 016

Where r u based?

Thanks for the replies, and particularly to The Boss for the info.
I'm based in Cheshire, but obviously don't mind travelling to save myself a few bob! I'll try the couple of sales people you've referred me to and see how I get on.

My nearest dealerships are Liverpool or Chester, but unfortunately they're both part of the same group (Inchcape), but although I've been to the Liverpool dealership for a test drive (fantastic experience, although there are limited places in the vicinity to really give it the beans!), I haven't actually discussed a deal with them, I thought I'd see if there were any tried and tested methods to get the best deal first. Plus I'm a bit of a soft touch for a good salesman so I need to make sure I've got myself fully clued up before I take the plunge!

I probably won't be ordering until after Christmas, but I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Jeff

If you don't mind me asking, what is the A8 model/year/spec etc?

Hi there I think I read somewhere they did a mass email to various dealerships but I would prefer a phone call to speak to someone then when you pick a few play them against each other and see what happens

Out of interest the boss what's was lister s offer on c63

Jeff, im meeting Wesley next week, tell him Dillan passed you on.. and he will look after you.

Just mention, you are shopping around for the very best deals.. and Dillan said how great Wesley was etc etc..

Make sure you are blunt.. stating, that to not waste his time, and your own, you are really looking for CLS levels of discount .. ie huge dealer % contributions, and not just run of the Mill discounts.

BE BLUNT
Ensure you know what you want
ask for dealer stock
if none, then ask for open search
if nothing, then first amendable build slot..

Also play your bluff cards accordingly

In essence, you should get atleast 5% off with out blinking, and more depending on what angle you play..

Thanks for the replies, and particularly to The Boss for the info.
I'm based in Cheshire, but obviously don't mind travelling to save myself a few bob! I'll try the couple of sales people you've referred me to and see how I get on.

My nearest dealerships are Liverpool or Chester, but unfortunately they're both part of the same group (Inchcape), but although I've been to the Liverpool dealership for a test drive (fantastic experience, although there are limited places in the vicinity to really give it the beans!), I haven't actually discussed a deal with them, I thought I'd see if there were any tried and tested methods to get the best deal first. Plus I'm a bit of a soft touch for a good salesman so I need to make sure I've got myself fully clued up before I take the plunge!

I probably won't be ordering until after Christmas, but I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Jeff

If you don't mind me asking, what is the A8 model/year/spec etc?

It's a 07MY (December), 3.0tdi, very high spec inc TV, DAB, reversing camera, 20" polished alloys, the only thing it hasn't got really is ventilated/massage seats. It's a lovely car actually, great motorway cruise, and economical, so a C63 will take some getting used to, but I think it's a price worth paying, although I will save money on the price of tyres, I can't get a decent tyre for any less than about £275. You know in an earlier post I mentioned I'm a bit of a soft touch with a good salesman, well when I bought the A8 I was actually looking for a 4.2 A6 or a RS4!

Jeff, im meeting Wesley next week, tell him Dillan passed you on.. and he will look after you.

Just mention, you are shopping around for the very best deals.. and Dillan said how great Wesley was etc etc..

Make sure you are blunt.. stating, that to not waste his time, and your own, you are really looking for CLS levels of discount .. ie huge dealer % contributions, and not just run of the Mill discounts.

BE BLUNT
ask for dealer stock

In essence, you should get atleast 5% off with out blinking, and more depending on what angle you play..

Dillan,

will do, thanks for the offer. Out of interest, as it's years since I've bought a brand new car (I usually go for ex demo's), what sort of level of deposit do they expect for an order? I don't want to make a fool of myself by offering £1000 when they're expecting say £5000! I have tended to by my cars on the spare of the moment, but I intend to plan this one out carefully so I want to make sure I have everything covered before I take the plunge.

You may find different dealers have a different policy on deposits, so broker the deal your happy with first, and then and only then mention anything like a deposit. Then if you really want the car, just ask "So what size deposit would reserve it right now".

Most will tell you the minimum, a small number might inflate it. If he inflates it to your detriment, that's your clue not to buy a car off him. If it's a genuine suggestion just offer a lower deposit, and he'll then mention it if there's a minimum/policy.

Also do bear in mind you might want to pay extra if paying that deposit before the new year for VAT benefits, etc. Same goes for a car in stock.

It's a 07MY (December), 3.0tdi, very high spec inc TV, DAB, reversing camera, 20" polished alloys, the only thing it hasn't got really is ventilated/massage seats. It's a lovely car actually, great motorway cruise, and economical, so a C63 will take some getting used to, but I think it's a price worth paying, although I will save money on the price of tyres, I can't get a decent tyre for any less than about £275. You know in an earlier post I mentioned I'm a bit of a soft touch with a good salesman, well when I bought the A8 I was actually looking for a 4.2 A6 or a RS4!

Let me know how much that you got offered as a part exchange because I've been looking at the A8 as it happens.....
If you are going to buy a brand new C63 next year, you are going to be looking at a big discount because once this VAT increase kicks in, the perception will be that no-one will be buyer £50k high performance cars.
This should put you in a strong position.;)

BE BLUNT
ask for dealer stock

Let me know how much that you got offered as a part exchange because I've been looking at the A8 as it happens.....
If you are going to buy a brand new C63 next year, you are going to be looking at a big discount because once this VAT increase kicks in, the perception will be that no-one will be buyer £50k high performance cars.
This should put you in a strong position.;)

Thanks Sweetpea, I'll let you know. I haven't bothered asking for a trade-in price yet because I've been waiting to get my outstanding balance down which is one of the reasons it's taken me so long to get to the stage of approaching dealers about a C63. You won't be disappointed with an A8 by the way, and the 3.0 diesel has a lot of oomph despite it being a big car. I've been looking for something a bit smaller because I work all over the place and sometimes I have to leave the car at home, and it ends up just sitting on the drive because my wife won't drive it because it's too big, and the thought of something I'm paying for sitting around doing nothing winds me up. Mind you, the thought of my missus hurtling around in a C63 is scary, she has a very heavy right foot:D

Dillan,

will do, thanks for the offer. Out of interest, as it's years since I've bought a brand new car (I usually go for ex demo's), what sort of level of deposit do they expect for an order? I don't want to make a fool of myself by offering £1000 when they're expecting say £5000! I have tended to by my cars on the spare of the moment, but I intend to plan this one out carefully so I want to make sure I have everything covered before I take the plunge.

I gave a £1000 deposit, to secure the order. London seem to ask for £5k, but Wesley is very very laid back!

I gave a £1000 deposit, to secure the order. London seem to ask for £5k, but Wesley is very very laid back!
Last two MB's I've bought new have been secured on a £1k deposit which, imo, is all that is needed to show good faith. After all, you have entered into a contract which can be enforced if push comes to shove so there's really no risk to the dealership. £5k is taking the p*ss and has no purpose other than aiding the dealer's cashflow, allowing them to trade on an interest-free loan.

Hey I went with a 1 k deposit and remainder to pay on collection

Thanks for all the input everyone, I knew I'd get some useful tips on this board. I've been buying cars for years (I'm 50), but I've never felt that confident when going into a dealership, it seems I have a lot to learn from people on this forum!

Hi Biffothebear
welcome and glad to see your after a C63
nearly missed your post as i generally start with all C63 posts:D
and heaven forbid sometimes ignore the rest !
I bought a car in August and found it very worthwhile to shop around dealers and even dealers within the same group
the discounts available are very large if your circumstances suit, i bought a demonstrator before it was registered , the spec was very close to my ideal spec and it only had 47 miles on the clock, delivery was straight away. One Dealer told me 0% discount , he could shift all he could get so didnt need to discount, several offered 6-7%, I actually got 16% but i did have to work quite hard for it
See if you can get a deal with a corporate source rather than retail ( yes even if you are buying just one car ) they have a lot more flexibility and commercial gadgetery if they want to use it
Good luck and enjoy
p.s.watch out for the C63 haters , they are a curious bunch:rolleyes:
I'll give you their names via PM when you have enough posts
(opps joking ;) )

Oh deposit i gave £1000, watch out some jokers would like to take £3000 off you, dont agree to a penny more they dont need it

Last edited:
Do not let the ladies here that get annoyed when you mention c63 put you off mentioning c63, good luck :D and make sure you get the lsd and ppp they are a must on a new c63.

lol @ ladies :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom