New member. Any tips for buying a 00-07 C-class estate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fladavid

Car
Ford
Hi.

My name is David. I am just about to purchase my first Mercedes and I particularly fancy a second generation C-class estate as we have a dog (is the pop up dog guard standard?) Although my wife would prefer an M-class.

Could anybody here advise me as to things I should look out for when purchasing this car and also what is the best and most economical engine version to go for from a fuel and road tax point of view.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

There's a lot on here about W/S203's if you search.
Pre 2003 were not galvanised, so rust is a problem.
Best engine from the original road tests was the C270Cdi - which was my first MB (and had the dog guard, I think it's standard on the estates).
Clunks from the front suspension - ARB bushes and rose joints.
MAF was an early problem on mine, no kickdown and engine would not go above 3k RPM.
Thermostat - if engine temp does not get to 80C, thermostat is shot, heater is useless and MPG suffers.
I'd look at 2004 onwards if budget permits!

I was looking into a 2004 model as I believe that they were facelifted about that time although I don't know what was added to the car and how it differs from early versions.

Anybody have any experience with the smaller petrol engines as on the Honest John website he mentions that older diesels suffer from a few faults?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom