New member bitten by the Benz bug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve260E

Car
1991 Mercedes 260E
Hello to all, strange to be introducing myself on a Mercedes forum as have always been a Land Rover type.

Been looking for a cheap run about to get me from Merseyside to North Wales to the caravan in relative comfort, looked around at the usual Fiesta and Corsa Euroboxes as you do when I came across this gorgeous 260E only 20 minutes from me for only £495.

Must be crazy for even thinking about it but I went to see it and was immediately bowled over by it, 216000miles but still running like a sewing machine, a few little niggles as usual such as the rusty front wings, window regulators and slightly wooly steering in the straight ahead at high speed(improved slightly after steering damper change) but that shape takes me back to when I was a child seeing them big old Mercs looking like they are forged from a single block of iron and the most time warp beautiful comfortable cream leather interior I have ever had the privilege to sit in, the smoothest engine I have ever had the privilege to sit behind and all for just £495?

Probably would of been more sensible to get the usual Fiesta or Clio etc as I'm 25 insurance would of been in the region of £800 which makes it even more amazing that I'm able to insure this brilliant piece of machinery for just £163 for the year

The only bad thing about this is I'm now scouting for another classic Mercedes to start off my collection!
eg1tso.jpg

2db3qfc.jpg

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum

Hi i saw the ad too, I love the interior looks in really good shape considering the miles. I had a 1988 260 175k on the clock a few years back.

Great car and never let me down.

Welcome to MBClub, and congratulations on your new car. Nice choice :thumb:

Thanks guys, the interior is by far the best part of it, the high mileage was in the back of my mind but when you drive it still has the "tight" feeling to the engine.

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum...

I own one of the w124's myself and started a small project in restoring it to its former glory. I am a sucker for these old ships and just love the way they drive. Might be getting old.. :p

Your interior is in really good nick. Not often you find them that good with the kind of mileage you have on it. If you do regular fluid changes on her in future and treat her kind shell give you another 200K miles without problems to those engines. they were a big part of the good reliable brand building for MB in the 90's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom