New member - C350 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ace571

Car
190E 2.6, Sportline spec
Hi guys

About time I came out of the woodwork, only been registered 4 years :crazy:

Have an estate C350 CDI Sport Edition 125 on order, expected 1st Dec. Gone for a "different" colour combo of Calcite White with Cappuccino leather :eek:

Being a Sport Edition 125 I think it's pretty well equiped, with Comand online etc so the only options I spec'd were heated seats and the 18" 5 arm twin spoke wheels.

Looking forward to getting it! When I ordered it back in August there were no 265bhp C class demos available, so I hope I've made the right choice. Tried a C250 CDI which was lovely, but just a bit too clattery for my liking. Although I see from a recent thread that the book promise of 47mpg combined is MB fiction, most seem to be getting around 33mpg which is a tad worrying. I do around 25k miles a year, so I might have made a costly mistake for wafting about in 6 cylinder refinement :wallbash:

I'm a bit of a car nutter ;). Recent cars included a C208 CLK 230K AG which I ran for 2 years - a shocking car!
Next followed by a W211 E220 CDI AG which I ran for 4 years and 117k miles - loved it, despite many failures and quality issues.
Currently run an Audi A6 2.7 TDI Le Mans, had it for almost 4 years and 90k miles - it's been faultless, touch wood. A lovely car, but a pretty firm chassis for a big mile munching saloon. I guess it's the V6 in this car I can blame for not wanting to go back to a 4 pot diesel.

Also run a 1997 911 (993) Carrera S and a Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline Cabriolet for my sins.

Looking forward to driving a MB again :bannana:

Cheers for now

Last edited:
The colour combo sounds nice, looking forward to seeign the pictures of that when it arrives.

I went for Red as I wanted something bright and cheery and a bit different.

I seem to have seen nothing but red C classes since I got it!

Hello

Car sounds nice your right though 33mpg sounds bad especially as these are the latest engines and gearbox's with 7 speed + and stop start.

Depends how you drive it though and doing 25K a year a fair bit of that must be on Motorways?

Post some pics when you get it, nice Christmas present to yourself.

Hi Red

I think they look lovely in Red, or is it Fire Opal?!

I've had too many black/grey/bue cars, so I too wanted a change.

My MB dealer told me that MB Germany instructed dealers to have red facelifted C's in the showroom at launch in the summer - might be why you'ree seeing them about on the road now.

Will get some pics up when I get it.

Last edited:
Hello

Car sounds nice your right though 33mpg sounds bad especially as these are the latest engines and gearbox's with 7 speed + and stop start.

Depends how you drive it though and doing 25K a year a fair bit of that must be on Motorways?

Post some pics when you get it, nice Christmas present to yourself.

Hi!

Yes, mainly motorways, so I guess I should see circa 40mpg? Put it this way I see 37-40mpg out of my A6 and the official combined figure for that is 39mpg.

Last edited:
Welcome! I too have a C350CDI Sport Estate on order which I ordered mid August after only test driving the C250CDI. I'm going to be disappointed with only 33mpg!

My MB dealer told me that MB Germany instructed dealers to have red facelifted C's in the showroom at launch in the summer - might be why you'ree seeing them about on the road now.

There was a shortage of white paint pigment so another colour would have been chosen as the spearhead.

Your white/cappuccino sounds bang on..

Last edited:
I see from a recent thread that the book promise of 47mpg combined is MB fiction, most seem to be getting around 33mpg which is a tad worrying. I do around 25k miles a year, so I might have made a costly mistake for wafting about in 6 cylinder refinement :wallbash:

I have never seen any promise around fuel economy.

I'm certainly getting more than 33mpg out of mine and I am still having too much fun to start trying to get more.

When I ordered it back in August there were no 265bhp C class demos available, so I hope I've made the right choice. Tried a C250 CDI which was lovely, but just a bit too clattery for my liking.

I was in exactly the same position. I found the C250 like a tractor so bought blind. Remember I came from a 335D so it had a lot to live up to. It certainly lives up to it's promise when it comes to effortless performance.

Richard - when are you expecting yours? According to my dealer my car is due to be built in early November. Delivery on 1st Dec.

Mark - sounds promising that coming from a 335d the C350 is in the same sort of ball park. The 335d is a one very special car...

I guess if you're getting 33mpg while enjoying the performance, that's pretty good going!

Same as you! Build early November, delivery to the dealer end November and to me 1st December.

I easily got 33mpg from my 335d, which had a claimed combined of 38mpg (it was a pre-ED model) so with a claimed 47mpg for the C350 I was hoping for nearer 40mpg. I'm getting 30mpg from the X5 and was of the reasons for changing was to save on fuel.

I easily got 33mpg from my 335d, which had a claimed combined of 38mpg (it was a pre-ED model) so with a claimed 47mpg for the C350 I was hoping for nearer 40mpg. I'm getting 30mpg from the X5 and was of the reasons for changing was to save on fuel.

I'm sharing your mindset on this one.

Over the last week, i have certainly seen the economy nudging upwards with a trip from Birmingham to Leeds to Home coming in at 38 the other day.

It would be nice if I could get a higher number than the 36 I got on the 335 and if I ever see 40 then bingo but if I don't (as I have said in other posts) it's not a deal breaker.

I think this week could be interesting.

A cruise down to Heathrow tonight (and back tomorrow) then a run to Belgium next weekend.

I thought you weren't bothered about economy, but now you say.
I'm sharing your mindset on this one.
Over the last week, I have certainly seen the economy nudging upwards with a trip from Birmingham to Leeds to Home coming in at 38 the other day.

I assume that was on the OBD, if not I'm confused.

19/10/11 417.0 35.3
15/10/11 388.0 34.1
09/10/11 381.0 33.4
04/10/11 323.0 34.4

34.3 avg MPG

Considering your trips tend to be longer ones, I'm still shocked by the lack of economy, what is the car like round town?

The reason I'm interested is that I too would prefer a 6 cylinder but don't consider losing 20% economy for what is supposed to be a more efficient engine as opposed to an old indirect engine, reasonable.

I have to say I'm delighted with the C220, this was a replacement for an ML300 Sport.

I thought I'd really miss the 6 cylinder engine but I just don't.

It give plenty of umph and produces an average of over 40mpg and I do a lot of local running around trips in that.

I thought you weren't bothered about economy, but now you say.

Oh dear. I really seem to have rattled your cage haven't I?

As I said, 40mpg would be a bonus and not a deal breaker. After all I think we would all LIKE to pay out less each week for fuel regardless of driving a small city diesel or a huge V8 4x4

I assume that was on the OBD, if not I'm confused.

19/10/11 417.0 35.3
15/10/11 388.0 34.1
09/10/11 381.0 33.4
04/10/11 323.0 34.4

34.3 avg MPG

The numbers being given by the OBC are actually pretty close to reality surprisingly.

So Fuelly is reporting the last tank (I filled up this evening) returned 35.7 so the trend is certainly upwards. The OBC is reporting 36 on the same tank so it is looking to be a fair guide hence the statement of 38 I think is pretty near bang on.

Considering your trips tend to be longer ones, I'm still shocked by the lack of economy, what is the car like round town?

I have no idea what the car is like around town as I don't commute so in town driving is always at the end of a long run.

And shocked? Really?

As we have discussed elsewhere, things like DPF sap power and have to hit economy. A step backwards? Probably but there is nothing I can do about it.

The reason I'm interested is that I too would prefer a 6 cylinder but don't consider losing 20% economy for what is supposed to be a more efficient engine as opposed to an old indirect engine, reasonable.

By the sound of things, MPG is your primary measure so I would have to say that a 6 cylinder modern diesel does not sound like the right car for you. It really doesn't.

or maybe you need to go for one of the older engines that came before EU4 and EU5 where emissions have been put before economy,

I really like Cappuciono leather, really hides the chocolate stains....with black headling it will look Ace.

Will, seriously try the 211 E320cdi and E220cdi. 95% as good as a 212 for about50% of the price (got for a 1 to 2 yr old one, no point buying a brand new car) and you'll get a smoother engined car than the 350cdi (I've driven the 231bhp not the 265) and one that is not hindered with EU5 and 6 regs.

A 211 E220cdi will go as fast as your car and be at least as efficient, if not more.

An E320cdi will be a fair bit faster, and given my overall MPG you won't feel a huge difference and you can get 45mpg -52mpg driving very sedately.

Oh dear. I really seem to have rattled your cage haven't I?

Not really, but you are inconsistent with what you say. One post you say you aren't bothered about the economy, next you say you agree with RichardM who is looking for better economy and 40mpg. :confused:

I do think the economy of the latest 3.0 litre engines is very poor, shows they are inefficient.

Dieselman said:
Not really, but you are inconsistent with what you say. One post you say you aren't bothered about the economy, next you say you agree with RichardM who is looking for better economy and 40mpg. :confused:

I do think the economy of the latest 3.0 litre engines is very poor, shows they are inefficient.

They are only inefficient if your measure of efficiency is MPG

Maybe you should calculate the horsepower per litre of fuel burnt?

That would be a better measure surely.

BTW I don't think I said I wasn't bothered but that my primary reason if buying a big diesel was not economy. The trade off of economy for power doesn't bother me. But less money at the pump is always nice.

I have finally got a booked delivery date of this coming thursday for my C350CDI, it has been sat at the lease company's dealership for 3 weeks already!! :mad:
Looking forward to finally getting my hands on it, placed the order right at the beginning of august.

Being a Sport Edition 125 I think it's pretty well equiped, with Comand online etc so the only options I spec'd were heated seats and the 18" 5 arm twin spoke wheels.

I also spec'd the 18" 5 arm wheels, but the lease company rang me when it left the MB factory to say they were no longer available and that it would have the 18" 7 arm wheels instead. Interested to see if you are able to get them...

I will post my thoughts when I take delivery and have had a chance to play with it.

ROFLMAO!!! Now i know Ace very well and he is so OCD... his kids wear straight jackets in the car so there is no food drink etc... poor girls!!!

Chocolate stains!! Never ever ever!!!

:thumb:

Chocolate stains :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom