New member diving straight in with a w124 300d!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonsheaf

Car
S124 24V 300D
Hello all,
I thought I'd better say hello and introduce myself seeing as I've just paid a deposit to hold an s124 multivalve, picking it up next week!

It'll be my first ever Mercedes, but not my first time owning "old" cars as daily drivers having just sold a 1986 double cab VW pick up, and generally often owning 80-90's german cars, (when things were built without shelf life in mind so much it seems)

I'm hoping that plumping for the 300d instead of a 280 petrol was the right choice, I'm not bothered about it being quick, just smooth, quiet and {almost}economical really.
It's had the rear spheres done and seems to have been cared for, plus a stainless exhaust system fitted.
I wasn't after a minter, just something that was nicer to own and drive than what £1500 usually gets you!

So here's hoping my first post isn't the only one without a "how do you fix the x-y-z" in the title :D

Welcome and congrats Jon. I guess I'll not ring you about bringing the E280T round! Hope the 300D works out. Which one is it (if advertised and accessible)?

Malcolm

!! Oops, hi Malcolm! yes, sorry, I was going to update you!
It's the one on ebay down in Monmouthshire with the leaky rear windows as standard!

Welcome aboard. Correct choice of engine. Cracking choice of motor.

Thanks John.
Not sure if it's a swear word but I used to own a c4 Audi A6 with the 5 pot AEL 140hp motor in and ever since then I've got a lot of time for german dervs with more than 4 cylinders.
I realise the 606 isn't turbocharged though and am expecting more in the sound than the muscle department.
Looking forward to a little lazy smoothness.
I watched a you tube video or two of the tattooed brummy accented guy in his 300d, it helped convince me :D

Did anyone see the black 300d on Autotrader with one private owner at £700!!?
Not surprisingly it sold that same day...and I missed a chance as when I first rang it was still there!
gutted!
Surely worth a risk at that price!?

Hi Jon,
Looks like a nice clean motor.:thumb:
Love the estates acres of room.
I'm a recent convert to diesels with an old W123.
Can you use veg oil in the later engines?:confused:
Good luck with her and enjoy that oil burner!
Regards
greeno.

Last edited:
apparently you can run on veg oil but I hadn't planned to.
Yet.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom