New Member first time MB buyer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EGB24

Car
E Class 280 Estate
Hi All,

I'm about to pick up my first ever MB.I bought a 2008 E Class 280CDI on Saturday and i pick it up on Wednesday.

I was disapointed to find out i had an Audio 20 head unit (CD slot at the bottom) and that it doesn't support bluetooth and i don't have AUX in the glovebox.

I was thinking of upgrading to MERCEDES-BENZ W211 E-CLASS GPS NAV DVD VCD CD MP3 JPEG PLAYER DIGITAL HEAD UNIT | eBay

Anyone else done it or recommend an alternative?I'm used to having my ipod connected and don't want to go backwards a step with a newer car.

Any help appreciated.

Many Thanks

Brad

Hi

Firstly, you need to remember that your model of car was first released in 2002, so the audio system was designed / specified in the late 90's. Thats before Bluetooth or the iPod was commonplace and will explain a lot about the lack of features ...

There was a facelift done around Q3 2008 (i.e model year 2009) which brought in much more up-to-date technology with Bluetooth in the head unit and AUX across the range, and the possibility of fully integrated iPod kit etc.

Personally, i'd avoid the chinese £500 units - they will disappoint, and we take out a fair few either because people hate them or they just don't work and don't integrate with the instrument cluster display etc etc.

I'd be looking at the 2009 model's COMAND (colour satnav), and then posisbly an iPod kit or the Media Interface (fully integrated iPod kit). The car will look right and things like the cluster display and all the steering wheel controls will work exactly as expected.

They are more expensive and need adapter looms to install, but you can buy a unit on eBay and have Comand (Europe) (link in previous post) supply the adapter looms and install it. Do talk to Mark at Comand (Europe)...

Richard

Excellent,thanks Richard.It sounds like a better idea to keep the interior as original as possible.

Many Thanks

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom