New member from Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ross63

Car
W124 E220 Coupe 1993
Hi all,

New forum member from Edinburgh here. I've recently become the owner of a W124 E220 Coupe having admired these cars for many years. Some of you might recognise the car, I'm not sure if the previous owner was a forum member. She's had a respray in the recent past and the paint itself is a very good job. The car has one or two problems but that's part of the fun of owning an older car and I enjoy rectifying the faults and improving the car.

The electric seats are hit and miss, the drivers one isn't working at all. I've had the seats out and the wiring and fuses all look fine. The switch is the later type that doesn't easily come apart but it lights up with the side lights so it's getting power. A bit of a head scratcher and I'm thinking of just picking up some manual seats and fitting them instead of wasting time chasing electrical gremlins.

The EVAP valve is goosed and that was causing a horribly lumpy cold idle and stalling. I've temporarily "fixed" this by blanking the vacuum line and the car now idles much better. It was very sluggish when I picked it up, but this was down to the gearbox bowden cable being too tight. This is now fixed too. Also made my own diagnostic cable from an old VAG 409 cable, some banana plugs, speaker wire, spade connectors and a soldering iron. It came up with a fault code for the MAF output being implausibly high. I cleaned the sensor and the code has gone. The wiring to the MAF seems to be fine as it came back open circuit when unplugged.

The ABS light is on and when I removed the cover from the top of the pump there was only 1 relay present and an empty space where the larger one goes. I've bought one on ebay and it's currently en-route from America. Hopefully this will fix it.

She also has one or two suspension knocks over rough roads. Will investigate these when I put the car on ramps to do it's service next week. Engine oil, filter, air filter, spark plugs and transmission fluid and filter will be changed.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

IMG_7645.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7647.jpg

IMG_7651.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

IMG_7648.jpg

Hi Ross. Nice car. Where's the pics about? They're not Edinburgh.

Good move bringing it it east. Glasgow's miles wetter.

That, reminded me of a cartoon drawn when Glasgow had its European City Of Culture shizz going on. The picture was of a guy being mugged at knife point and the caption read: ''Is this a dagger I see before me?''

I'm originally from the South West, South Ayrshire but living in Edinburgh. Looks a bit dreich over on the west coast today.

Love the car and plan on making her MUCH better in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom