New member from London and Normandy - 1989 190E 2.6 LHD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slimlavud

Hello all
I seem to have been registered to this site for some time but have not been on as my brother took over our old 190E 2.6, that we have had for about 25 years! The car is based in Normandy but makes occasional trips to London (for me to fix it usually) and is a very faithful old friend - although my brother called me recently to say he had just reversed home from the shops in Normandy - 5km - as it lost all forward gears/drive. We shipped it back to UK and we are in the middle of putting in a replacement auto box.

While clearing out a garage recently I found an interesting accessory part - a complete driver's side electric window conversion kit for a 201 series - I have attached some pictures, it is new in a (slightly wet as I cleaned it up) blister pack and I think it is an AUTOLIFT? That is the only brand name I can see - on the motor.

I don't want any money for this - maybe a drink if you like - but I have litertally tons of parts to shift and I don't want to throw this away if it can help anyone.

Thanks

SImon 07896 921115

Attachments

• IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    495.2 KB · Views: 9
The gearbox issue - not just a fault with the linkage ? Not unknown for the rubber washers at the end of the link rod to perish and fall out , seen it once myself and heard of others having the same issue .

I presume you’ve checked there is enough ATF , and the fluid/filter had been changed at some point .

Nice car , the 2.6 , I had one a while back , as well as a 2.0 and a 1.8 , which became a 2.3 .

Although not sold in the UK , the 2.3 engine works really well in the W201 , with plenty of torque for good acceleration, but not noticeably thirstier than the 2.0 .

The 2.6 is lovely , but does drink a bit more fuel .

If you put a list of parts you have for sale in the classified section here I’m sure you would sell a lot of them . It’s free to advertise on here .

Sorry for the (very) belated reply, thank you for the tip. I have now bought a 1980 250 saloon and it runs horrible, it will only start with my foot flat to the floor. Is there an easy cure for these carburettors? Is it a common fault? Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom