New Member From Portsmouth with a CLS Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cannnon

Car
2008 Cls 320cdi
Hello,

My Name is Phil but everyone calls me Cannon (unfortunately that name was taken so on here I am Cannnon :thumb: )

Living in Portsmouth, Working in Chichester, so generally spending most of my time up and down the pothole ridden A27,

Not too much of a new guy to the world of cars, been building Japanese drift cars and power toys for many years as a bit of a hobby, and also having the occasional break to something Big and Comfy... which would then also become lower and wider... until I decided I may as well go back to a Jap toy.. and the circle of life continues...

Anyway I currently have a 08 Facelift CLS320cdi,

Stage 1 remap by EcoRemaps courtesy of the guys at Prestige in Horndean, few subtle tweaks to it, including removing the rear badges and giving the car a damn good polish and clean,

Car is nicknamed RON as its burgandy.

On the hunt for some Coilovers as I have not got airmatic (personal choice not to get it due to previous bad issues with my v10 Touareg, v8 Range Rover having issues with bags)

So If anyone has any CLS w219 coilovers for sale hit me up :)

few pics of my previous cars can be found here if people fancy having a stalk

<<>>CLICK ME<<>>

and a pic of the current car and a few special ones from the past here :)

URL]

20131126_225557_zpsnboncslr.jpg

5.0L v10 TT Diesel Touareg
IMG_5713_zps7987416d.jpg

5719517632_fddca37e0e_o.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

20100717_006.jpg

and obvously the current car is:

IMG_7768_zpsqhagm3of.jpg

IMG_7753_zpsbgxqxwzl.jpg

IMG_7763_zps78l2tiqg.jpg

thanks and feel free to comment

Cannon

Ha thanks Olly, I thought you may be one of the first to reply :) :) :)

I dont think I can justify over 1k on Coilovers however from H&R, I found a set of PB coils on the web and a set of K-Sports both for about £600 however I would prefer to find some 2nd hand ones and run those whilst I get the car setup properly,

I have found some 18x9 et10, 18x10.5 et5 wheels which should give me 20mm front and 40mm stronger fitment that stock, I will be running these so the car will be going LOW!!! as I cant really justify 20s and rubber :)

Last edited:
Hi interesting to see you turn up on this forum, I'm David from HJC you may recall I had an RX7.
Are you going to customise it like your other cars? If so it will be interesting as you always did them well.

Hi interesting to see you turn up on this forum, I'm David from HJC you may recall I had an RX7.
Are you going to customise it like your other cars? If so it will be interesting as you always did them well.

Hi David,

Nice to see you on here, do you still have the lotus? or is that a past life now,

and yes I remember the RX7 well, you were in the car with me when we had the tyre blowout in my red S14a Nissan :)

and yes the car will be going wide, low, and smart -as its also my daily driver,

Hi David,

Nice to see you on here, do you still have the lotus? or is that a past life now,

and yes I remember the RX7 well, you were in the car with me when we had the tyre blowout in my red S14a Nissan :)

and yes the car will be going wide, low, and smart -as its also my daily driver,

I sold the Esprit quite some time ago and bought a Boxster RS60 then sold that and currently run an SL 63 AMG plus my Phat One Luxo Barge.

Look forward to what you plan to do with the CLS they are nice cars

Welcome to the forum, subscribed to this thread, should be interesting!

How is the remap, has it made a noticeable difference?

How is the remap, has it made a noticeable difference?

In a word, YES

Mid range is a different animal, MPG wise, it may just be my brain, but the trip computer says my drive to work now averages 37.7 mpg most days, before it was low 34's to high 33's.

I did a trip to Bradford and back and got up to 44mpg which I didnt expect

it doesnt feel any faster from a 0-60 perspective, but deffo on overtaking and those little exits from roundabouts a bit too heavy footed you feel it jump into action, although I get the feeling it almost feels faster in Comfort than Sport mode, but maybe thats just as sport mode holds the gears longer an kicks down more than just Sheeer brutal acceleration,

for the money I would say go for it,

also before people think I am some wet flanel loveing a little increase in power, I have also owned a 400bhp Nissan skyline, 380bhp Silvia, 450bhp 790nm v10 touareg, and a few other cars, and the acceleration in the CLS suprised me even with it being an auto. :)

In a word, YES

Mid range is a different animal, MPG wise, it may just be my brain, but the trip computer says my drive to work now averages 37.7 mpg most days, before it was low 34's to high 33's.

I did a trip to Bradford and back and got up to 44mpg which I didnt expect

it doesnt feel any faster from a 0-60 perspective, but deffo on overtaking and those little exits from roundabouts a bit too heavy footed you feel it jump into action, although I get the feeling it almost feels faster in Comfort than Sport mode, but maybe thats just as sport mode holds the gears longer an kicks down more than just Sheeer brutal acceleration,

for the money I would say go for it,

Thanks for the info! I actually agree with you on the faster feeling in comfort mode, I guess sport mode may be taking traction into consideration and applying a less aggressive acceleration curve..?

I would steer clear of cheap coilovers. I have had bad experience of them. They ride terribly and often leak after a few months.

Hi.
Watch out for Benz On The Green next May!

[URL="http://www.benzonthegreen.co.uk"]www.benzonthegreen.co.uk[/URL]

Yeah sorry I didnt make it this year, made it to Prestige but didnt make it to the big meet

Thanks for the info! I actually agree with you on the faster feeling in comfort mode, I guess sport mode may be taking traction into consideration and applying a less aggressive acceleration curve..?

yeah very true. I just feel the car pulls stronger out of sport mode, but hey, needs a gearbox oil change and just changed the front 2 thrust arms and bushes as felt a bit loose, so whole car feels new at the moment,

I would steer clear of cheap coilovers. I have had bad experience of them. They ride terribly and often leak after a few months.

yeah i am not talking ebay 200quid coils, although I have run those on a few of my saabs and ran them LOW and they were very very good, the JOMs were of equal comfort for my Driftworks CS2s and APEX Coils,

however I have found a set of K-sports and also some Yellow Speed coilovers and these are about the same price, so will likely be going for a set of those for about £600 with a 2 yr guarentee and warranty as I really cant afford 1200 on a set of H&Rs and then wheels ontop,

Merc Modifying on a budget may make peoples skin crawl however.. :)

Olly I will be in contact however as I want to book in for a Gearbox oil change as I understand its a "special" job rather than a DIY jobby due to how it fills

Hello,

My Name is Phil but everyone calls me Cannon (unfortunately that name was taken so on here I am Cannnon :thumb: )

Living in Portsmouth, Working in Chichester, so generally spending most of my time up and down the pothole ridden A27,

Cannon

Welcome Cannon,

Fellow Portmuthian here, although long since departed I travel back 3 or 4 times a month to walk the beech when the tides out. Old habits die hard.

Your photos bring back pleasant memories.

Good luck with your CLS.

Chris

Welcome Cannon,

Fellow Portmuthian here, although long since departed I travel back 3 or 4 times a month to walk the beech when the tides out. Old habits die hard.

Your photos bring back pleasant memories.

Good luck with your CLS.

Chris

Thanks

I am actually from Surrey but moved down here to go to Uni, and hen got stuck, bought a house, and fell in love with the place, chavs ad all :) haha

I couldnt think of living anywhere else at the moment, beach and shops and southsea all so convenient,

Maybe we will cross paths, keep an eye out for the CLS, it will soon be much lower and wider

Hey Cannon, welcome to the club fella.

Just joined myself. Picking up the new car at the weekend after test driving an SL55, CLS63 and finally the one I went with, a E63 S.

Is it me or is the CLS exhaust much louder than any other Merc I have driven?

Hey Cannon, welcome to the club fella.

Just joined myself. Picking up the new car at the weekend after test driving an SL55, CLS63 and finally the one I went with, a E63 S.

Is it me or is the CLS exhaust much louder than any other Merc I have driven?

Hi and welcome along

I would agree when you put your foot down it does have a distinct sound and rumble my c250 cdi didnt have and a few of the others didnt, but maybe as you were driving the v8s and mine is a v6 that also helps vs the 4 pots etc :)

apologies guys, looks like my links to the CLS have moved in my photobucket, I will pop some more and get a link here to the build thread

Cannon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom