New member - looking for a C350 Cdi Estate W204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GarethM7

Car
RS 250 Megane
Hi All,

I’ve just joined up to the forum as I’m in the market for a W204 C350 Cdi Estate. I’ve looked at 2 so far but they have been badly maintained.
I would like a C350 but would also consider a C250.
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the AMG sport plus and the ED125? Is one preferred over the other?
Thanks

As far as I know, Edition 125 was available only for one year (from memory 2012), and came with COMAND Online NTG4.5 as standard (instead of the basic Audio20). COMAND was optional on all other models.

With Sport Plus and basic trim the "half leather" sides are 'Artico' man made plastic leather that still seems to be splitting even on 3 year old cars now .

Real full leather is highly desirable .

350 / 250 CDI can depend on what mpg you're comfortable with and what performance level you desire .

The 125 was only available in 2011. It basically came with a few free options, most notably Comand Online which otherwise was an expensive option. The other ‘freebies’ were mostly cosmetic. Lots of non 125s had the same options specified (at a cost to the original owner.) The 350 is 6-pot and the 250 is 4-pot, the former being a much smoother engine (not as good as it’s petrol equivalent - I’m bound to say - but still excellent.)

Something to watch out for no matter which version is whether or not the NOx sensors have been replaced. The original ones are a known issue as being liable to fail. Replacement costs over £1,000. If the seller can’t confirm that they’ve been changed, I would recommend walking away. MB have been replacing some foc, but only on newer or low mileage cars with a full MB history.

I’ll definitely check the history about the NOx sensors. Is there any symptoms of them failing?
I’m viewing a 350 on Saturday which is the Ed125 with full leather or artico interior. 99k miles with FSH. (Unsure on the NOx sensors).
MPG isn’t really a factor having a RS Megane as my current daily.

I’ll definitely check the history about the NOx sensors. Is there any symptoms of them failing?
I’m viewing a 350 on Saturday which is the Ed125 with full leather or artico interior. 99k miles with FSH. (Unsure on the NOx sensors).
MPG isn’t really a factor having a RS Megane as my current daily.
All that happens when the NOx sensors fail is that the Engine Management Light comes on. There doesn’t seem to be any effect on performance or economy. AFAIK it’s ok to carry on driving for however long it takes to get them fixed - until MoT time when it would be a failure.

I hope the 350 you see on Saturday is a good one and the NOx sensors have been replaced. If they haven’t been replaced, the typical charge of £1200 from MB to do so would be a useful bargaining tool (it‘s a few hundred less to have them changed by an indie who can do the software update that needs to accompany the new sensors, without you being forced to have the CDi recall update that apparently can cause issues.)

So I went to see the C350 (Private sale). Really good condition inside and out. When I started the car from cold it took 5 seconds to fire up. Could this be a glow plug issue? Brake pedal travel was long too, not sure if that’s normal or the brakes need bleeding. I could also feel a vibration through the brake pedal at idle. Decided to walk away. It also had 4 different brands of tyre on it.

probably a wise move, any car with 4 different tyres on is not going to be one thats well looked after or cared for.

I’ve looked at 4 MB tourers so far and they have all had an issue in one form or another. Seems hard to find a good example.

Good luck with your search Gareth. I'm selling mine but it's a saloon, but even 4 years ago it was a challenge to find a good one and saloons are/were more plentiful than estates, as you probably know.

Mine is one of those cars that isn't an ED125 but does have Command, xenons and heated seats so has everything I wanted. Even finding one with just those options was a bit of a struggle.

Re economy, I've averaged 39.2mpg over the last 27k miles. I then had the software update done at the last service (without realising) and that lifetime average now permanently shows as "---" so I've no idea if it has changed, but given the performance on offer I was always very happy with the results. All else being equal, I wouldn't compromise and go for a C250 CDi. I've driven one (an Estate Business Edition) and it felt a lot less special, due in part to the additional noise and lack of refinement from the 4-pot.

Hello all - I've been away from MB for a few years (Audi) but having recently hired GLA and A Class am pretty sure I'm coming back..

I am looking for a LHD ML (have had two previously 04 and 06) stupidly missed out on one a few weeks ago and now I don't see any on the market, ideally in SE England.

We will use the car for travel to Greece, its rather mountainous and in winter there is a decent amount of snow. Mrs GAH is obsessed with 4WD.

My question is whether an 09 C350 CDi Avantgard 4Matic is something that should be seriously looked at? There is one I can inspect - its a German import with 90k on the clock

Any major do's/dont's with these please?

Hello all - I've been away from MB for a few years (Audi) but having recently hired GLA and A Class am pretty sure I'm coming back..

I am looking for a LHD ML (have had two previously 04 and 06) stupidly missed out on one a few weeks ago and now I don't see any on the market, ideally in SE England.

We will use the car for travel to Greece, its rather mountainous and in winter there is a decent amount of snow. Mrs GAH is obsessed with 4WD.

My question is whether an 09 C350 CDi Avantgard 4Matic is something that should be seriously looked at? There is one I can inspect - its a German import with 90k on the clock

Any major do's/dont's with these please?

You might want to start your own thread rather than hijacking somebody else's, as nobody will see your question unless they scroll down this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom