New member looking to get C32

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amgc32

Car
M3 saloon. For sale. Looking for C32
Hello All,

I'm not actually an owner yet but am looking to get a C32 soon. I have been browsing around and came across this forum so thought I would join with the intention of getting some advice from enthusiasts on what to look out for, owner experiences etc when buying a C32.

I come from a BMW back ground, well mainly M3's in the last 10 years. I absolutely love the drive and power delivery of the M engines, especially the connected to the road feel you get from the chassis of a M car and that high revving engine.

Never the less, I have had a C43 in the past, before I bought my first M3 and I don't remember anything negative from that.

As you may have gathered I have been a firm M Power nut but I recently went in a friends C32 AMG and was very impressed with the comfort, performance and effortless acceleration (maybe i'm just getting old:p). He also tells me aside from a few little things his 2 years of ownership have been relatively painless. Now coming from a M3 this was music to my ears as the m3's have a host of problems, namely vanos (variable vale timing unit), boot floors ripping due to bmw not making them strong enough to take the power, leaky LSD's, very sensitive MAF's......

I just need to sell my present M3 and will then be seriously looking for a C32, preferably in black. I am quite interested in power upgrades as I would like to take it to around the 400BHP mark but will do some searching before I start posting questions that have been asked a thousand times already. I had seen a pulley kit by CKS performance which claims increase of 65BHP with remap but after searching their reviews and peoples experiences of them I think they may be fibbing a bit and if I gave them a C32 I might get it back with a C180 Komp engine in it.;)

Look forward to being a member here.

Regards

Kash

There's probably a few threads on here asking similar questions but my experience....

03 and earlier suffer from rust.....clicking dashboards means stepper motors packing up (for the ventilation system) heated seats pack up, as do the electric seat modules that in turn lead to battery drain, supercharger pumps pack up ( not too expensive to replace - try a few hard accelerations should show this up) and probably loads of other things I've forgotten.....

Eurocharged (again my experience) are very good for tuning! Mines running a charger pulley and map and is just over 400hp!

Hi Neil,

thank you very much for quick response. I think my friend has this battery drain you speak of as he told me of his seat that stopped working and shortly after battery drained. I'll let him know of module.

Problem I am finding is there are so few for sale compared to M3's.

Will look into eurocharged, thanks.

What about larger intercooler? Do these help keep heat down and performance consistent?

Regards the supercharger pump, should I just replace with oem or is there a better aftermarket one available??

Johnson's make a replacement which the ford focus rs uses which a few have replaced theirs with. There's a fix for the seat module over on one of the US sites. From what I can understand cooling mods don't really need to be done if you go for the 65mm pulley but could be needed if you go for the 62mm kit and or crank pulley. You can also replace the oem intake to the SL55 amg intake which will probs give upto 20hp! If you get one give everything a service and health check inc fluids and plugs. Mines done 102k miles and the block seems rock solid!

OK. yes, service is always first on my list. Apoligies for the questions but I have a few more if you don't mind. I take ti the smaller the pulley the more boost is made? Also is the charger pulley and crank pulley 2 different things or same thing?

Yes, I read about the SL55 intake btu I also read of the Needs Wings intake from the states that flows more CFm air and is meant to give better performance, is this so or is the difference not worth the extra for the NW intake?

Eurocharged are US right? Is there a Uk dealer? hw much is the 400bhp pulley and chip? Do you have to solder chip into ECU or is it remove/unplug old and plug in new one?

Does the resonator and primary cat delete give more performance? C32 has 4 cats right? so will removing 2 of hem fail MOT? I like the sound of just resonator delete, not sure on primary cats delete too though??

Thanks

Not sure on exhaust mods as mines standard! I'd say just go for the SL intake as you can get them for a few hundred quid! Eurocharged have uk distributers in rebellion (Phil) and acid both members. From memory the pulley and remap ( software so no chips) is about £900. Mine was done on the dyno by jerry from Eurocharged when he was over and got 406hp on a dyno dynamics.

Wow!! Sounds good. I'm used to N/A M engines where you have to literally spend thousands for next to no gain, just better driveability!! Which never made any sense to me.

For the Sl intake is it just a case of keeping eye on ebay or are they reasonably priced from dealers?

So is the dyno tune a live map then as opposed to the others just being generic maps for a pulley upgrade?

Yes mine was a live map and I believe Eurocharged have adopted this map as the generic one! Mine and a few others seem to be stronger than others as a few haven't hit the 400 mark. Yep it's a waiting game for the sl intakes!

Can I ask what model year your C32 is mate?

So you have the 185mm pulley and map?
What about heat exchanger? Eurocharged include that in their stage 1 kit? What is heat exchanger for?

Thanks a lot for all your help and advice.

Most actually go for the supercharger pulley not the crank pulley. Which is what is included in the package from eurocharged.

The heat exchanger is used to keep the air intake temps down as this saps the power if they get too high.

I can give you a quote for some prices on the bits if you want

As Andy says mine is the 65mm super charger pulley and map everything else is standard!

ok, thanks guys. Bit confused though as on the eurocharged site it says 185mm crank pulley but you are saying 65mm charger pulley. Which one is changed as part of the kit?

or which is better to use charger pulley or crank pulley? Would appreciate a brief explanation if you could please

For a C32 the 65mm SC pulley is very close in to a 181mm crank pulley and the 61mm is very close to the 185mm crank pulley.

Think of it like this the stock sizes are 155mm for the crank pulley and 74.6mm for the supercharger pulley so every time the crank pulley completes one revolution the supercharger pulley will spin roughly 2.1 times.

If you put a 181mm crank pulley with a stock supercharger pulley this is increased to roughly 2.4 times
If you put the 65mm supercharger pulley with a stock crank pulley again it is roughly 2.4 times

Stick with either the 65mm or the 181mm they will give the best overall performance.

Last edited:
Have a look at this link.

I know it is for the 55amg engine but the principle is the same on your engine.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/amg-...part-1-pulley-map-biggest-bang-your-buck.html

It will give you a few pros and cons of each.

Thanks Andy, will look through this, love a good read.

For a C32 the 65mm SC pulley is very close in to a 181mm crank pulley and the 61mm is very close to the 185mm crank pulley.

Think of it like this the stock sizes are 155mm for the crank pulley and 74.6mm for the supercharger pulley so every time the crank pulley completes one revolution the supercharger pulley will spin roughly 2.1 times.

If you put a 181mm crank pulley with a stock supercharger pulley this is increased to roughly 2.4 times
If you put the 65mm supercharger pulley with a stock crank pulley again it is roughly 2.4 times

Stick with either the 65mm or the 181mm they will give the best overall performance.

Savman, you're a gent, perfectly explained.

Much appreciated guys. I think my M-Power days may be coming to an end. I can hear that whine calling:bannana: lol

mate your in for a treat, even thought you will miss the m car ...the amg is special in its own right

Just my 2 pence worth, I have a C32 that has just been serviced and re-mapped by Andy. I haven't had the pulley changed yet bit the results are epic. The car pulls like a train.

Andy has done a fantastic job for me and would highly recommend his services.

Next up the SL intake. If you do take the plunge you will not be disappointed, I have a friend with an M3 who absolutely love driving my 32.

One other thing you should be mindful of, the super charger inter cooler can leak coolant (Glycol) which can contaminate the auto gearbox. To fix is a full gearbox refurb £££. Make sure when you are looking at C32s you ask the question and good luck

Just my 2 pence worth, I have a C32 that has just been serviced and re-mapped by Andy. I haven't had the pulley changed yet bit the results are epic. The car pulls like a train.

Andy has done a fantastic job for me and would highly recommend his services.

Next up the SL intake. If you do take the plunge you will not be disappointed, I have a friend with an M3 who absolutely love driving my 32.

One other thing you should be mindful of, the super charger inter cooler can leak coolant (Glycol) which can contaminate the auto gearbox. To fix is a full gearbox refurb £££. Make sure when you are looking at C32s you ask the question and good luck

sounds good mate..would love too mapp mine too and later do the pulley etc...its fast now must be epic after modds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom