New Member. Need some help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jayyy

Car
Mercedes E300 Coupe
Hello all! New member here! I have just had my Mercedes E300 Coupe 2018 petrol delivered to me today by Mercedes and I couldn't help but notice a faint whistling noise coming from the engine when stationary and when on the move. The car has 25k miles and always been serviced by Mercedes. I spoke to Mercedes and they said they have done all the checks on the car before delivering it to me. Has anyone else on here have the same issue? Is it something I should be worried about?
Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Forum!

Take it back and let them investigate.

Any decent dealership would surely want to ensure there wasn't a problem rather than telling you they had carried out their checks!

Welcome to MBClub and congratulations on your new car.

Take it straight back, the likelihood of a satisfactory outcome will reduce over time.

Document the problem by sending them an email then you have a dated record of when you reported it.

Welcome aboard,as suggested send a email to them,and maybe get somebody rev the engine while you listen to it with the bonnet open to see if you can get a better idea where the whistle is coming from.

Record the noise using a phone, trying to see where the noise is coming from.

If you’re not a bonnet opening kind of guy, ask a friend who is to give you a hand.

If you’ve just bought it, take it back and tell them to fix it or give your money back

If they’ve just serviced your car, tell them that you want to book it back in for the problem that they’ve created to be fixed.

could be the air con needs regassing... my e coupe made a slight whistling noise (air con compressor) before when it had a refrigerant leak.

"Done all the checks" - oh dear, classic fob off. As others have said take the car back for checking and don't be fobbed off by the Can't find anything wrong/they all do that/it's your imagination type response.

Hi All. Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated.
As soon as I got the car delivered, I mentioned the noise to the delivery driver and also emailed the salesman at Merc straight away informing him. He's the chap who said it's had all the checks so it's nothing I should worry about.
I have just booked it in with Mercedes Chelsea for 11th of May. No earlier dates available. I have emailed the dealership I got the car from letting them know it's all booked in and that as this was an existing issue, I will not pay for any repairs. The car comes with 12 month mercedes warranty. I am in 2 minds whether I should give the car back completely and get another or if I should just wait for the 11th. If I decide to do the latter, then giving back the car wom't be possible as it'll pass the 14 days cooling off period.

Its 30 days with a car....within that time you can reject the car for pretty much anything you feel like....whether the dealer can fix it or not. After that it just reverts to standard Sale of Goods act. My wife rejected a VW EOS after 3 weeks due to intermittent stopping of the electric metal roof half way through closing/opening. The dealer did not like it.....but he knew there was nothing he could do about it.

Last edited:
Hi All. Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated.
As soon as I got the car delivered, I mentioned the noise to the delivery driver and also emailed the salesman at Merc straight away informing him. He's the chap who said it's had all the checks so it's nothing I should worry about.
I have just booked it in with Mercedes Chelsea for 11th of May. No earlier dates available. I have emailed the dealership I got the car from letting them know it's all booked in and that as this was an existing issue, I will not pay for any repairs. The car comes with 12 month mercedes warranty. I am in 2 minds whether I should give the car back completely and get another or if I should just wait for the 11th. If I decide to do the latter, then giving back the car wom't be possible as it'll pass the 14 days cooling off period.
Could you call out Mobilio breakdown ?

Its 30 days with a car....with that time you can reject the car for pretty much anything you feel like....whether the dealer can fix it or not. After that it just reverts to standard Sale of Goods act. My wife rejected a VW EOS after 3 weeks due to intermittent stopping of the electric metal roof half way through closing/opening. The dealer did not like it.....but he knew there was nothing he could do about it.
The problem with the Eos roof is quite a common one, I had the same with the one I had. All it is is one of the rear side cover flaps getting caught and not opening. All they needed was a tap, It was just a small design fault, didn’t spoil our enjoyment of the car. What did spoil it was the quite prolific water leaks again common with the Eos :(

Yep ours leaked as well.

Its 30 days with a car....within that time you can reject the car for pretty much anything you feel like....whether the dealer can fix it or not. After that it just reverts to standard Sale of Goods act. My wife rejected a VW EOS after 3 weeks due to intermittent stopping of the electric metal roof half way through closing/opening. The dealer did not like it.....but he knew there was nothing he could do about it.
Thank you! Ok so 11th of May will make it 27 days so I'll be within the 30 day limit. I will see what they come back with and keep you all posted

Thank you! Ok so 11th of May will make it 27 days so I'll be within the 30 day limit. I will see what they come back with and keep you all posted
Why wait 27 days? Just get the selling dealer to collect the car and sort it out or give your money back. Involving another dealer in the chain is not a good idea IMO. Closing ranks comes to mind.

Could you call out Mobilio breakdown ?
Yes I can
Why wait 27 days? Just get the selling dealer to collect the car and sort it out or give your money back. Involving another dealer in the chain is not a good idea IMO. Closing ranks comes to mind.
I'm worried if I send it back to the Mercedes dealer I bought it from, they'll just send it back saying they did the checks and found no faults

Yes I can

I'm worried if I send it back to the Mercedes dealer I bought it from, they'll just send it back saying they did the checks and found no faults
Do you want it resolved or not?

You have to do something if you feel there is a fault.

Take it back to the supplying dealer. If they say that the noise is normal ask them to demonstrate this on a similar model.

Yes I can

Without seeming being rude. It’s called waltzing. If you know how it works, you can either be the party stepping forward, or backwards. The majority of people working in the vehicle sales/service industry are good at it. 😉

Yes I can

What about calling out Mobilio saying the engine is making a loud whistling noise and you don’t think it should be driven ? When they get there say it’s still making it but it is now a bit quieter ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom