New member - plug replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattk1

Car
SL63, C350 CDI & Ducati 1299 Panigale
Hi all, just wanted to intro myself as a new member. I am fortunate to run a 2004 CL55K AMG.
And although I'm reasonable at most DIY car mechanics I'm a little hesitant to change all 16 plugs without some advice, please. Do I need any special tools etc to remove the plug leads? I understand I have to remove the engine cover and the individual coil packs but not sure about the space in removing the lead/plug - it looks very tight! Also not sure what make of plugs, I've been advised to use Bosch?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Matt.

Hi all, just wanted to intro myself as a new member. I am fortunate to run a 2004 CL55K AMG.
And although I'm reasonable at most DIY car mechanics I'm a little hesitant to change all 16 plugs without some advice, please. Do I need any special tools etc to remove the plug leads? I understand I have to remove the engine cover and the individual coil packs but not sure about the space in removing the lead/plug - it looks very tight! Also not sure what make of plugs, I've been advised to use Bosch?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Matt.

Hi Matt, and welcome to the forum. Bosch and ngk are both good brands, set the day aside, work through it slowly, and you will be fine.

I'm in high wycombe too, so if you need any help let me know. Not quite the a-team, but the offers there if you need it. :)

Hi 'carat 3.6 amg', thanks very much for the advise and offer of help - hopefully I'll be ok but you never know and I'll happily reciprocate the favour.
Regards Matt.

(if help is req'd pls don't dress as per photo, the neighbours will wonder what we're up to! ha ha ha ha ha)

Welcome :)

There is a special Mercedes tool for removing the spark plug leads but a 17mm cranked or swan neck open spanner can also be used so I have been told. Do not try to pull the leads off by hand or you are in danger of breaking them internally but gently lever them off with the tool / spanner. Make sure they go back on the same plug they came off as the leads are different lengths.

Thanks, I'll see if the tool is available, or borrow, (my father use to work for MB and knows one or two of the local spanner men). Seems a careful, logical approach would pay dividends.
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom