new member requires advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

duane3k

Hi all i am in the process of buying a 1999 a170dci what do i need to look for it has 75000 on the clock which is backed up by old mot's and service history.
Any advice would be much appreciated
thanks

Duane

Look for any sign of Easy Rent-a-Car.....though probably not a 170CDI.

Last edited:
Certainly check the log book for the previous owner(s) and also the service history. Maybe also worth contacting the last service entry garage and ask them a few questions, particularly if its MB

Welcome to the forum. Click on the "Search" link at the top of the page and enter A710CDI. That brings up loads of threads (some more relevant than others). You should be able to get a few pointers as to what to look out for from there.

Things to check:

1. Front springs
2. Front ARB links
3. Inpact damage to the front subframe
4. Noisey steering column
5. Rattley interiors
6. Clutch is expensive to replace so check it.
7. Auto's can go wrong at huge cost
8. Rear springs snap
9. Rear arm bearings wear out VERY quickly
10. Leaking diesel injectors (chuffing noise)
11. Belt tensioners can be noisey.

I think thats it......

The later models are much better though.

I think we ought to point out that BlackC55 is one of our more knowlegable and very informative members. His list is extremely comprehensive and gives you an excellent check-off list but I doubt you will find many, or any of these faults on a well presented, well looked after model? Don't be put off by that excellent post, I would suggest 'Fore warned, is fore armed'.

Are these engine quite noisey, or have they now improved?

Good luck in your quest and welcome to a great forum.

Regards
John

Also try Honestjohn.co.uk.....C55 sums it all up.

Personally I have diven the earl A class, and it is a big disappointment. The drive is very poor and it seems more of a fashion accessory than a vehicle.....far better off with a golf or Japanese equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom