New member - Tail of woe of an approved used CLA 220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CodeNugget

Car
CLA 220D
Evening All,

New to this forum after buying an approved (not so sure now) used CLA 220d AMG Line PP 2020 plate.

My apologies for the long first post but I really would welcome some thoughts.

I am new to MB after being a Subaru and BMW person, yes I'll get my coat . . . . anyway having a family friend who works for MB it was suggested that while pondering a new(ish) car I take a look at what MB have to offer.

Having hit mid life crisis I decided on a move to an automatic was in order and being only me using the vehicle the CLA seemed to fit the bill. Booked a test drive, happy with the vehicle I decided to go for it. I pointed out a number of small snags with the car which the enthusiastic sales person assured me would be rectified prior to delivery, after all what could be wrong with an "approved MB vehicle" with 2+ years warrantee . . . . . so I parted with my money and awaited the delivery date.

Right on time delivery was made a week later, rather impressed to say the least I thought to myself, unfortunately that didn't last long - only one of the snagging points had been looked at, a small dent in a wheel arch. The remaining 3, a fault with the Air Con, an issue with the hold brake and a hand sized mark on the passenger side dash had been "over looked".

Returning the vehicle to the dealer (a 300 mile round trip) I was told the faults would be sorted. Next day I received a phone call to say the fault with the sunroof had been fixed and my car was ready for collection - what fault with the sunroof??? I was assured that it was a sensor fault in the sunroof that was preventing the Air Con from working.

Collecting the car I could see the mark on the dashboard had been sorted, happy I started my return journey - not long after which found the other 2 faults, the Air Con and Hold break had not been fixed.

Back the vehicle goes only to have another phone call, the knocking sound is a compressor fault . . . what knocking sound??? We will replace the compressor, we'll keep you updated, we can only apologise.

Today I get a text message, welcome Mr XXXX to MB, you appointment is confirmed and we look forward to seeing you on the 19th at 0830 - What????

So should I just give the vehicle back and say I've had enough, I know its only been 2 weeks but really I've lost all faith in MB to provide me with an "approved" used vehicle.

Hello and welcome. The car has it's faults but my bigger concern is the lack of service from the dealership. It has been purchased 'online' so you shouldn't have a problem rejecting it. Once these niggles are fixed, you do have a warranty which will allow you to use a local dealer for any other problems that may arise. Depends on how much confidence you have lost in the car

Virtually brand new then . This forum has many threads of tales of woe when dealing with MB dealerships , I am sure it's the same over on the Audi/BMW/Zsatava forums, but seing as your dealer is a 300 mile round trip away I would give it back if possible . You will never be happy with it or them.

Your call; either give it back, or if you really like the car, tell the Dealer you want everything fixed by the MB Dealer closest to you. If you explain that this is the only option apart from rejection then you might get what you need hth

Thanks for your thoughts gents (assumption based upon your user names).

As has been said I am sure its just not one MB dealership, indeed my local dealership wanted nothing to do with the vehicle being a different franchise.

I am sure the dealership in question has the ability to fix all the faults, they just seem more interested in asking if I have completed the customer service survey yet and if not "please don't" was the remark at the end of the last phone call.

Have I been fooled into thinking MB dealerships were different, and offered a superior service?

My gut feel is to return the vehicle and ask for my money back.

Your call; either give it back, or if you really like the car, tell the Dealer you want everything fixed by the MB Dealer closest to you. If you explain that this is the only option apart from rejection then you might get what you need hth

As above.

BTW. if the brake HOLD feature does not work, it could be a battery voltage issue (though after a 300 miles round trip the battery should be well charged...), or it could be related to a fault with the ECO Start/Stop system - is it working?

Thanks for your thoughts gents (assumption based upon your user names).

As has been said I am sure its just not one MB dealership, indeed my local dealership wanted nothing to do with the vehicle being a different franchise.

I am sure the dealership in question has the ability to fix all the faults, they just seem more interested in asking if I have completed the customer service survey yet and if not "please don't" was the remark at the end of the last phone call.

Have I been fooled into thinking MB dealerships were different, and offered a superior service?

My gut feel is to return the vehicle and ask for my money back.

Your local dealer will rightly not fix 'under warranty' any faults that existed before the car was sold and that the selling dealer should have rectified.

What Connoisseur is suggesting, is that you tell the selling dealer that they should contact your local dealer and agree to pay them directly for the repairs to your car. If they refuse, let them know that they had their chance to fix the faults, you are not prepared to drive another 300 miles, and that you are rejecting the car - then see what they say.

Have had a few, mostly cosmetic issues with my W205, bought from a BMW Dealer, and have been through the miffed/sort it/best do most of it myself train of thought. Am surprised and reassured (?) that some/many MB Main Dealers aren’t much different in treatment of customers as at least I got my car for circa £2.5k less than a AUC. The BMW Dealership tried to stiff me, and they may have ‘got away’ with a couple of issues, but the Google Review to be left once the final alloy has been diamond cut refurbed will aim to balance things out nicely. A plague on all their houses I say......

From other posts on this forum your experience is not unusual. New MB owners think they are buying a premium product and that they will be treated with a premium / superior customer service. The sad truth seems to be somewhat different. Given the 300 mile round trip I would definitely reject the car and get your money back whilst you can. Then find a dealer closer to home to buy a car from.

A similar tale going on from someone else.....

Mercedes Basingstoke review - you won't believe it | General Discussion

It seems like the car hasn't been checked before sale to me, well, not checked very well.

And if an approved used car is being returned with immediate faults, then you would think the dealer would make sure they address all issues at that point. Which they haven't.

It seems like they are happy to inconvenience you, and at 300 miles, that would worry me personally.

The main issue with the car in the thread I linked was new damage on the car when it was in with the dealer. Which of course being untrustworthy, they lied about to try and wriggle out of (taking what the poster wrote at face value).

In summary, the cars are nice and well finished inside. Some issues of course surface. Most dealers (but not all) seem to try to fob the customer as their first option, or don't seem to have the expertise to resolve 'unusual' issues. I would trust them for run of the mill servicing, brake pads and fluid (but not ATF).

Evening All,

New to this forum after buying an approved (not so sure now) used CLA 220d AMG Line PP 2020 plate.

My apologies for the long first post but I really would welcome some thoughts.

I am new to MB after being a Subaru and BMW person, yes I'll get my coat . . . . anyway having a family friend who works for MB it was suggested that while pondering a new(ish) car I take a look at what MB have to offer.

Having hit mid life crisis I decided on a move to an automatic was in order and being only me using the vehicle the CLA seemed to fit the bill. Booked a test drive, happy with the vehicle I decided to go for it. I pointed out a number of small snags with the car which the enthusiastic sales person assured me would be rectified prior to delivery, after all what could be wrong with an "approved MB vehicle" with 2+ years warrantee . . . . . so I parted with my money and awaited the delivery date.

Right on time delivery was made a week later, rather impressed to say the least I thought to myself, unfortunately that didn't last long - only one of the snagging points had been looked at, a small dent in a wheel arch. The remaining 3, a fault with the Air Con, an issue with the hold brake and a hand sized mark on the passenger side dash had been "over looked".

Returning the vehicle to the dealer (a 300 mile round trip) I was told the faults would be sorted. Next day I received a phone call to say the fault with the sunroof had been fixed and my car was ready for collection - what fault with the sunroof??? I was assured that it was a sensor fault in the sunroof that was preventing the Air Con from working.

Collecting the car I could see the mark on the dashboard had been sorted, happy I started my return journey - not long after which found the other 2 faults, the Air Con and Hold break had not been fixed.

Back the vehicle goes only to have another phone call, the knocking sound is a compressor fault . . . what knocking sound??? We will replace the compressor, we'll keep you updated, we can only apologise.

Today I get a text message, welcome Mr XXXX to MB, you appointment is confirmed and we look forward to seeing you on the 19th at 0830 - What????

So should I just give the vehicle back and say I've had enough, I know its only been 2 weeks but really I've lost all faith in MB to provide me with an "approved" used vehicle.
Pretty poor experience. Time and time again forums see posters falling for the "it'll all be fixed when you pick it up" routine (when the dealer has clearly no intention of doing so). It never seems to happen that way. I'd be giving the car back. Anyway would you want a car that has developed so many faults in 5000 miles? Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom