New member, tough decisions!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m111vr6

Car
C350 cdi
Hi, I have just joined here, I am currently looking for a new car, I have test driven a 2009 C320 cdi estate and love it, my wife loves the car too but isn't sure on driving it as she hasn't driven an automatic before and the handbrake is all a bit different to what she is used to. Anyway, could any of you guys give me any info on these cars, reliability, economy etc to help me to make my decision! Thanks in advance.

I have the C220Cdi auto, wife and I absolutely love it - the 320 must go like the proverbial off a shovel if you heavy foot it, the 220 is quick enough!

Don't worry about the handbrake - I very seldom use ours, if I'm parking on the flat I just leave the car in P, handbrake off. Hill starts are easy - you only have 2 pedals so quickly learn to hold the brake pedal with left foot - and leave the transmission in D! We started the transition from Manuals to autos in 1998, both cars have been auto for quite a while now, and neither of us would go back to a manual. With the 5 speed box, just put it in D and forget it!

Tell her not to worry about the handbrake. The car won't roll back on a hill so you don't need it for hill-starts, you never touch it unless parking, and then it's quicker than a normal one as you can be applying it while your hands are free to grab your phone, bag, etc. :)

If she's used to a manual, make sure she doesn't use her left foot for braking. People sometimes assume with two feet and two pedals you use a foot for each, but the left foot is much more powerful if it's used to a clutch, so if she goes on the brakes with the left foot she's going to snap her head off.

Last edited:
I have the C220Cdi auto, wife and I absolutely love it - the 320 must go like the proverbial off a shovel if you heavy foot it, the 220 is quick enough!

Don't worry about the handbrake - I very seldom use ours, if I'm parking on the flat I just leave the car in P, handbrake off. Hill starts are easy - you only have 2 pedals so quickly learn to hold the brake pedal with left foot - and leave the transmission in D! We started the transition from Manuals to autos in 1998, both cars have been auto for quite a while now, and neither of us would go back to a manual. With the 5 speed box, just put it in D and forget it!
If this is a subtle attempt to start off another left /right foot braking thread , you are a marked man .:p

I don't use left foot braking while driving, but occasionally at a steep junction the transmission hold is not quite enough to hold the car, so rather than try to hold a small amount of accelerator pedal - with the risk of getting it wrong - I use the left foot on the brake, just enough to hold the car.

The likes of Hamilton etc may be skilful enough to use left foot braking, but I'm not! The one I really can't get my head round is the bikers in MotoGP trailing the front brake into a corner, I could see the front disc glowing in one shot yesterday - how can they do that without folding the front wheel and dropping the bike, amazing skill!

Thanks for all the info guys, she caved earlier and we went to put the deposit down on the one we had test driven, but they had sold it late yesterday afternoon... The search continues, the 320 was an awesome car very smooth and powerful but there don't seem to be many for sale, what are the 220 and 250's like in comparison?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom