New Member - W123 Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benny69

Car
w123 230CE 1983
Hello,
I am new to MBClub and have just purchased a 1983 W123 Coupe, which I intend to use (subject to getting her through the MOT) and restore gradually as I go, which I am very excited about. The car is worn/tired (not surprising considering the 173k mileage/age), but thankfully it appears to be pretty solid rust-wise. The paint, interior and outer rubber seals are very dull/dry/cracked, I believe partly due to the car spending time in sunny Spain at some point?? (Spanish garage sticker under bonnet). I really do not have much information in the way of history with the car - I believe the engine has been replaced as it now has a carb engine. The VIN number suggests it was possibly a 280CE originally(?) (12305322027469), however, the boot badge is 230CE and there is a build/data plate on the bonnet scuttle (next to the VIN plate) which suggests it was a 230CE (123243) and the colour code of 877 (Petrol Blue Green Metallic) matches the car. I cannot find the engine number on the block (I had a quick look around, but am not really sure whereabouts it would be?) - the log book engine number is 10292020168949. Basically, the more I dig, the more confused I am. If anyone could help make any sense of this (particularly, which engine I do have, and/or how I could find more information), I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have lots to do on this car and many questions that need answering. I'm sure there's plenty of expertise on the forum to assist you. Good luck!

Can’t be much help, but If it originally had a carb engine it would have been badged C, not CE.

Engine and ID plate pics attached. Thanks

Attachments

• w123 engine.jpg
    w123 engine.jpg
    772 KB · Views: 21
  • W123 ID Plates.jpg
    W123 ID Plates.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 21
Engine and ID plate pics attached. Thanks

It looks like a 4 pot M102 200 engine with a Stromberg carb that were fitted to the W123 200 model.

The engine number if I remember correctly is printed on to the side of the block below the spark plugs.

Last edited:
This engine was not a part of the W123 coupe range.....somebody has transplanted it in, and if it is a 200, its a damn shame.

This engine was not a part of the W123 coupe range.....somebody has transplanted it in, and if it is a 200, its a damn shame.

Thanks for your help identifying the engine type. I did think it had a 200 engine installed, but was not sure, so perhaps the engine number on the log book is correct then(?). I still cannot find the engine number on the engine though, to confirm that the log book and engine number are a match. Ps. It is not a damn shame to me - the car was not expensive and runs fine. Thanks again for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom