New member with £650 W140!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Welcome to the forum and what a motor for £650.00!

Hello
Welcome to the Forum
Blimey What a bargain :thumb:

We are now in Newcastle - car was faultless again today. Have done 350 miles on the tank of fuel and still have 1/4 tank left.

Tomorrow to Edinburgh :)

Welcome and congratulations on a great buy!!

That's a smashing car, especially for that outlay, an absolute steal.

Thus far have traveled: Newcastle, Dundee, Inverness, Portree (Skye), and now in Ft. William.

She is just so incredibly smooth and comfortable. Loving it so far :)

Guesstimate at between 25-30mpg. Hard to do an exact calculation as the tank will only fill to about 95% and its at a slightly different level every time I fill it up.

Certainly no lower than 25mpg though and this is over twisting and hilly Scottish roads. On my completely flat mWay commute im hoping for 30-35mpg.

So, after a week and 1800 ish miles we are back in East Yorkshire for the weekend before going back across the water. Averaged about 27mpg for the trip; 22ish over the Scottish hills and 30-35mpg on the Mway.

Ill start with the bad - ive noticed a few things with the car (inevitible I guess you could say).

1. There is a clonk on the front suspension, surprise surprise :hehe: Will most likely be the bushes on the sway bar or maybe a ball joint. Only apparrent at low speeds and because 90% of my driving is on the mway it doesnt bug me too much.

2. Its sitting about 1/2 inch lower on the right rear than the left rear. Will need to get the wheel off at some point and investigate, perhaps a broken spring?

And thats it! Apart from those two niggles its been absolutely magic, and they are hardly the end of the world.

The weather here is absolutely crap, but I started to give it a clean inside and out and have had some pretty encouraging results. Im really quite surprised as actually the car seems to be about 90% perfect. The main area of trouble is the right front wing which has the hole and some further corrosion in the wheel arch - with the panels being bolt-on, bolt-off this is something that I may well end up fixing. The bright work on the whole car is still perfect and the engine bay is almost spotless considering its age. The only other real mark on the body is a scrape on the left rear wheel arch, but ill be seeing to that when im back in NL.

The engine bay:

P8110261.jpg

P8110262.jpg

Warning stickers still present and correct, a nice touch :)

P8110263.jpg

Exterior:

P8110271.jpg

P8110270.jpg

P8110269.jpg

P8110273.jpg

All 4 alloys are in good condition:

P8110277.jpg

Ive given the steering wheel a good going over and the tar is starting to lift out quite well, will probably need 2 or 3 more attempts - but a good start none the less:

P8110267.jpg

Coffee stain in the rear:

P8110264.jpg

After 1st clean already looking better, will need further attention.

P8110265.jpg

Front footwells looking OK

P8110268.jpg

The whole of the front of the car is looking much lighter and cleaner and i've yet to start on the seats with leather cleaner.

P8110272.jpg

The centre console has scrubbed up quite nicely:

P8110282.jpg

I took a quick snap of the underneath - nothing to worry about as far as I can see - back box etc all look in good condition.

P8110281.jpg

Ive got a nice new set of GB plates waiting to go on, I reckon that'll smarten her up no end and once im back to NL on Tuesday morning ill give her another clean.

Not bad going for a £650 car!

Astonished!

Thats so much car for the money - great work with the interior, has really brightened up nicely. My uncle used to have an s500 coupe and it was built like a tank - got yourself a real stunner mate :)

Bargain car . You would have paid more for a non-descript little econobox .Hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.:thumb:

Blimey - now that is what I call a proper result :O)

good purchase indeed

Wow love the condition of the interior! Wish I had as little problems as you with my w140, do all of your seat adjustments work?
More pictures please :D

Last edited:
Wow love the condition of the interior! Wish I had as little problems as you with my w140, do all of your seat adjustments work?
More pictures please :D

Indeed sir, ive yet to find anythign electrical that doesnt work - even the headrests still go up and down electrically.

The only 'quirk' is that the temp increase button for the drivers CC needs a good firm push to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom