New member.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KaiFriedrich

Car
190B 1959
Hello MB enthusiasts! My name is Kai and I recently immigrated here and brought our baby with us. We are the second owners since new of a MB 1959 190B Ponton. We are looking forward to getting her registered and onto the road for many a road trip across the UK and Europe.

Attachments

• MB 190B Side Small.jpg
    MB 190B Side Small.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 16
  • MB 190B Front Small.jpg
    MB 190B Front Small.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 16
Hello and welcome, nice car

Reactions: GLK
Hi and welcome, nice car (is there an echo here or something?) ;)

I was going to suggest you need something like this:

RHD to LHD Coversion.jpg

but I see your Ponton is already RHD ... :p

Thanks MissyD and GLK.

Love the conversion for the LHD, neatly done and practical. Definitely a budget friendly means of doing it.... ;) . Mine was built in Port Elizabeth in South Africa, hence the RHD. Also had a forgiving life in Johannesburg far away from snow and salty air and water.

Reactions: GLK
Hi and welcome 👍

Welcome what a lovely old Mercedes :thumb:

Welcome. :) 👍

Welcome, my 190B is RHD and built in Germany.
The first 190B I had in (1961-68) mercedes 002.JPGEast Africa had the full house under body protection, steel plates for engine, gearbox , diff and fuel tank and brake and fuel lines were boxed in.

Welcome, my 190B is RHD and built in Germany.
The first 190B I had in (1961-68) View attachment 105474East Africa had the full house under body protection, steel plates for engine, gearbox , diff and fuel tank and brake and fuel lines were boxed in.
What a stunner!!!! Super neat!!!! Perhaps you can assist me please. I want to get the windscreen sprayer to work on mine and from the pics below you can see my fluid bag is not connected to anything. I have the nozzle in the bonnet but I do not know how the circuit runs, nor where I can find the pump motor to power the sprayer line. The owners manual gives me the engineering drawing but does not show where the pump is in the car. I would really appreciate the info.

Attachments

• MB 190 Water bottle 1 small.jpeg
    MB 190 Water bottle 1 small.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 4
  • MB190 Water bottle 2 small.jpeg
    MB190 Water bottle 2 small.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 4
  • MB 190 Water nozzle small.jpeg
    MB 190 Water nozzle small.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 4
The windscreen washer is operated by a large button on transmission hump next to dip switch. There should be a pressure hose to the washer bag. The system is operated by air pressure.
Have a look at the owners spares part book if you still have it
or niemoller Mercedes on the net.
Hope this helps.

Yes, very helpful thank you. I am still baffled however. I attach 2 pics and if you could just perhaps orientate me a little in relation to the dip switch. I think in the restoration it may have been left out, crazy but possible. Does it usually sit behind the carpet or a cut through like the dip switch?

Attachments

• Foot switch area 1 small.jpeg
    Foot switch area 1 small.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Foot switch area 2 small.jpeg
    Foot switch area 2 small.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2
Will try to take a picture, the car is in the garage.
Try YouTube “Mercedes Ponton windscreen Washer operation”
It looks like it’s missing!! The pedal should be above and to the left of dip switch.

Welcome to the club!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. A small update. Been busy trying to get on the road and touring my new home and its been going well. I have received the car registration back from DVLA and it was 4 weeks early. What an efficient service!!! Managed to get insured as well, quite expensive as I cannot get my drivers license exchanged to a UK license yet as there is a 186 day waiting period to do this. So we are almost good to go. Once I was insured and registered, and in lockdown I took a short drive up and down the road, only to have the radiator leak... I managed to get hold of Mark at B&J Radiators and over the course of a week of sending the radiator in, it was back in my hands and looking fantastic. Now for that elusive wiper washer little pump switch... does anyone know if there is a generic or alternative part I can use? The only original ones I have spotted online are quite elusive and if available then very dear, and no guarantees they even work.

Attachments

• Merc Radiator.jpg
    Merc Radiator.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Try niemoller.mercedes dbclassics.de dbdepot.de.
I think it's the same foot switch/pump for Pontons, Fintails and W108. I have converted to electric windscreen washers operated by the foot switch.
Some parts are expensive, brake cylinders are around £40-50 each and the Ponton has 6. Brake master cylinder around £175.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom