New memeber looking for info :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J-N995

Car
punto
Hello everyone :)

I would say i am car obsessed and love working on car etc, I have recently got rid of my BMW 335D which i had running at 400BHP, but due to buying a house i had to reluctantly sell it,

Always loved the the way the C class C220 have looked, so i have decided to go for one as a little family car, My budget isn't huge at between 5-6k due to just buying a house,

I have seen a few that are around 57 plate to 58, Could any one please give me any guidance into buying one? I have seen some with 180,000 miles, is this high ? or would they be ok,

I thank you for you input and hopefully i will help out as and when,

:)

You are looking at a W204, which was made from mid-2007 to mid-2014, with a significant facelift in 2011.

The C220 CDI was a very successful model at the time so there should be plenty around second hand, but it was also popular with taxi drivers so high mileage cars seem to be the norm.

With regards trim level, you will need to decide if you prefer the Executive/SE variant, which will have higher/softer suspension and 16" wheels as standard, and the star logo on the bonnet, or any of the sporty models which have the lower/stiffer suspension and side-skirts, with the star logo in the grille instead of on the bonnet, and typically also with larger 17" wheels.

In either case, the car will either have only the basic Audio20 infotainment system, or it might have the higher-end COMAND NTG4 unit with SatNav.

Other interesting options you might want to look for include leather seats - not very common on the C-Class as most will come with MB Artico (fake leather / plastic), panoramic sunroof, and HID (Xenon) lights.

Many cars were sold with manual gearbox, which means that if you don't mind a manual you should be able to get one quite cheap, since most buyers in this class prefer automatics.

On another note, if your annual mileage is low, you might be better-off with a petrol car, for the simple reason that most second-hand buyers want a Diesel car so petrol cars are cheaper....

You won't get the Diesel's mpg obviously, but the car will be quieter and you won't have to worry about DPF issues.

And you will have a choice ranging from the (relatively) frugal C180 with 156bhp, to the more-rare C250 CGI with 201bhp.

On another note, if your annual mileage is low, you might be better-off with a petrol car, for the simple reason that most second-hand buyers want a Diesel car so petrol cars are cheaper....

You won't get the Diesel's mpg obviously, but the car will be quieter and you won't have to worry about DPF issues.

And you will have a choice ranging from the (relatively) frugal C180 with 156bhp, to the more-rare C250 CGI with 201bhp.

Thank you for the very good info

Does the timing belt or chain need replacing at 150k?

Are the 2007 models reliable?

I have had a three E220Cdi's, two of which did 312k miles each, and the current one is up to 295k, without any major issues, all serviced as per Mercedes schedules, plus a couple of additional transmission fluid changes.

The 4 pot diesel engine/5g box combination is virtually bombproof if looked after properly and driven considerately.

They have timing chains that do not require changing, there are a few stories of stretched chains but not a common problem.

Buy carefully with a proper service history and enjoy.

I have a 2008 C220Cdi with 90k+ miles so far, bought 5 years ago and has so far needed a set of front discs/pads and routine servicing. Changed it from 16's to 17's and Contisports to Goodyears, love it and intend to keep it for many more years. It's Elegance spec with full leather, Comand and a few other toys, wish it had parking sensors, find Linguatronic useless.

Similar car should now be about £8k.

Thanks guys :) feel a little more confident now in getting a 2007 /57 plate.

You mention the chains are they chains across the year ? So 2007+

All Mercs are chains I think.

Also, consider a late model 211 (E Class) from MY07 build on.

I think my E320cdi estate is the best all round car I have owned, and I have owned a few including the 335d and 335i Touring, 535d Touring, older E Class and in a newer one currently. Also owned the C320cdi sport estate as well as the A4 and A6 dAudis.

Seriously do consider the E Class around 2007-2009, I think this was Mercedes best as an all rounder and seem to be incredible value now.

Agree, loved my 2008 E320 cdi Avantgarde, quiet, loads of power, really light on fuel, great distance car , reliable as well

Sitting in a car dealers in Cardiff , £7450 with only 42 k on the clock, a saloon though. unfortunately we needed a 4x 4 so traded it for a ML 320 cdi

Welcome OP.

Can't help with the C-Class info but I can say I feel for you. When I bought my house I had to sell my beloved Subaru Impreza Turbo and got a Citroen ZX diesel with 180000 miles as its replacement :mad:. A C-Class of whatever flavour will be a palace compared to that!

Cheers,

Gaz

Love mine. If buying a pre-facelift Just be mindful of the rear light wiring issue, and the steering problems with the EIS thingymabob which is bloody expensive

If buying facelift, red coloured models can have blistering paint problems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C-Class_(W204)#Engines

The early 4 cylinder diesels ran the OM 646 single turbo engine with a double timing chain at the front of the engine in different stages of tune. The later cars ran the OM 651 single/twin turbo engines which initially had timing chain problems [single chain at the rear of the engine] and the dreaded piezo direct injectors. These faults were addressed in the post facelift models in 2011. So my advice would be go early or go late and avoid the initial run of the OM651 engines.

Welcome OP.

Can't help with the C-Class info but I can say I feel for you. When I bought my house I had to sell my beloved Subaru Impreza Turbo and got a Citroen ZX diesel with 180000 miles as its replacement :mad:. A C-Class of whatever flavour will be a palace compared to that!

Cheers,

Gaz

Isn't it horrible having to sell up to buy a house. Bit needs must and all that.

We are currently driving a punto 1.3 106k. So cnt wait to get a c class

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C-Class_(W204)#Engines

The early 4 cylinder diesels ran the OM 646 single turbo engine with a double timing chain at the front of the engine in different stages of tune. The later cars ran the OM 651 single/twin turbo engines which initially had timing chain problems [single chain at the rear of the engine] and the dreaded piezo direct injectors. These faults were addressed in the post facelift models in 2011. So my advice would be go early or go late and avoid the initial run of the OM651 engines.

Would that early as in 2007? Be ok . ?

Isn't it horrible having to sell up to buy a house. Bit needs must and all that.

We are currently driving a punto 1.3 106k. So cnt wait to get a c class

Well the Impreza was my house deposit! I'd just driven around in it for 12 months. To add insult to injury, I sold it on my birthday.. watching someone else drive off into the sunset in my pride and joy didn't exactly make my day!

It took a few years for the finances to recover, but I got there and I'm sure you will too.

Cheers,

Gaz

Would that early as in 2007? Be ok . ?
Yes the early 2007-2009 cars had the well proven twin chain OM646 variable vane turbo engines found in previous models. That said all diesels eventually succumb to the ravages of time. Thing to look out for is excessive leakage from around the injectors often called the black death- numerous posts about this phenomenon on the forum. If the engine has the usual neat engine cover be sure to take it off and have a quick shufty underneath can hide a multitude of sins- oil /fuel leaks etc. A high mileage engine isn't going to be exactly "clean" but gross contamination warrants further investigation.
here's what to visually expect. https://youtu.be/Sl6Irhz63VY
[YOUTUBE HD]Sl6Irhz63VY[/YOUTUBE HD]

Yes the early 2007-2009 cars had the well proven twin chain OM646 variable vane turbo engines found in previous models. That said all diesels eventually succumb to the ravages of time. Thing to look out for is excessive leakage from around the injectors often called the black death- numerous posts about this phenomenon on the forum. If the engine has the usual neat engine cover be sure to take it off and have a quick shufty underneath can hide a multitude of sins- oil /fuel leaks etc. A high mileage engine isn't going to be exactly "clean" but gross contamination warrants further investigation.
here's what to visually expect. https://youtu.be/Sl6Irhz63VY
[YOUTUBE HD]Sl6Irhz63VY[/YOUTUBE HD]

Brilliant mate thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom