New Merc, 3yrs old, but only 3000 miles. No service yet. Advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vintageaxeman

Car
E350 CDI Cabriolet, 2011, diamond white, leather, CKS Carlsson tuned, Sprintbooster, AMG suspension.
Have just bought a new Merc E-class E350 diesel, 3yrs old, but with only 3000 miles (three!) on the clock. No service has been done. I guess I might need to change some fluids? Engine oil, transmission oil, brake fluid, coolant? What fluids get 'tired' if unused? Advice required please!

Welcome to MBclub.

Brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years, oil every 1-2 years, and depending on the car then coolant and automatic transmission fluid could be 4 years. I'd get the lot done personally.

Welcome!

Sorry to ask you a question instead of answering but Bobby Dazzler has responded.

Q. Even if the car has only done 3k miles, it should have been serviced according to manufacturer's schedule ie based on mileage covered or elapsed time. It's poor if original owner neglected to do that, no?

Welcome!

Sorry to ask you a question instead of answering but Bobby Dazzler has responded.

Q. Even if the car has only done 3k miles, it should have been serviced according to manufacturer's schedule ie based on mileage covered or elapsed time. It's poor if original owner neglected to do that, no?

And it would have invalidated its warranty.

Check with an MB dealer as the service history is held electronically these days. There's no service book as such. It may well have been done.

And it would have invalidated its warranty.

Check with an MB dealer as the service history is held electronically these days. There's no service book as such. It may well have been done.

3 years old so presumably out of manufacturer warranty.

I wouldn't worry at all, get it serviced and enjoy. 3 year old and very low mileage makes a lot of sense if you intend to plough a lot of miles on and sell within a couple of years - minimal depreciation.

Welcome!

Of course I would expect any car within warranty period to be serviced properly, but as far as I can see the first service would have been required at 5000 miles, so one would not have been due yet....yeah? Or is it every year if the mileage is low?
The other thing that concerns me, is what about the tyres, any other rubber like hoses, and the cabriolet top itself? Or even the air-conditioning if it is left. Is it under pressure?
Many thanks for all your suggestions, guys.

All the service items have a mileage limit AND and age limit e.g. 15,000 miles or twelve months. Everything that would be needed if the car was doing normal mileage will still need doing service wise. The only thing 'saved' is brake pads IMO.

So, if it were me, new engine oil, filters all round, brake fluid, aircon gas etc etc……..whatever the service interval/items SHOULD have been PLUS a check on all hoses, tyres, etc etc.

Last edited:
As the car is post 2008, it will be on a fixed 12-months / 15,500 mile service interval. You can use the Electronic Service Sheet to determine what would normally have been replaced at each service had the car had them. Just adjust the Registration Date so that the car appears to be one, then two, then three years old to see each service in turn.

Personally, the only things I'd be concerned to change at just 3,000 miles would be engine oil & filter, fuel filter and brake fluid.

It is possible that with such little use the aircon compressor seals might leak, but if that's the case it will become obvious with use.

Do you know that it hasn't been serviced, or is that based on not having a service record hard copy? As others have said, any MB dealer will be able to check VIN to clarify. I'd be surprised if a new one hadn't had it's first and second year services whilst under warranty, but I suppose it's possible.

The service reqts/intervals should be in the handbook, listed by engine type.

Gearbox oil change depnds what type of box you have, I think 2011 was changeover year on the cabriolets/coupés; if you have stop/start eco. system, then I think that will be the 7G+, which is a gearbox oil change at, I think, 5-years. IIRC, the earlier boxes (7G) were a one-off change at 3 years, but happy to be corrected by others.

Oil/filter and brake fluid, and possibly gearbox oil, would be my view if it hasn't been serviced. As it's out of warranty and only done 3000 miles, it would be a point for further consideration reference the gearbox oil.

Hope you don't mind me asking how much you paid for it.

Is this ex-mobility car?

Service items that should have been done by now:
Engine Oil & Filter, Brake Fluid, Cabin/Pollen filter

Service items for your consideration:
Air filter, Fuel filter

Service items not yet required:
ATF change, Coolant change

Is this ex-mobility car?

The reason for asking is that Mobility cars often do not have service book.

You might sometime receive a computer printout, but not always.

But if you ask an MB dealer then they should be able to check the Electronic Service Book for you.

Change the oil and enjoy your car.

The time thing was introduced when MB were not seeing cars often enough. I would be very very surprised if fully synth oil with only 3000 miles was degraded...but change it anyway...forget about the rest of the stuff 'til you've got a few miles on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom