New Merc C200 Tips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rosetta

Car
C 200 SE 9G-Tronic Plus Auto
Apologies if this or similar threads have been done before.
I purchased a 67 plate C200 SE 9G-Tronic Plus Auto on Saturday. So far, I am loving it. Prior to this, I had a 2005 C180 Elegance Saloon, so the step up in technology, safety features, the brakes are amazing. The in-car technology is great, although I'm still working my way around it.

I know it's the basic model in the series, so some functions don't exist, but to me, it's like the Starship Enterprise.
I'm having slight trouble with the voice interface. I was testing it to see if I could make a phone call safely using only the one button and my voice, but I can't get it to work. I followed a video on YouTube, but when I press the voice button on the right side of the steering wheel, it seems to only go to the sat nav and ask me where I want to go. If I say "Make call" or "Call contact" or "Call Dave" it doesn't do anything. Does this mean I don't have this feature? I don't actually mind, because I would only use it in emergencies, anyway, as I would stop the car if I wanted to make a call. But it would be nice to know how to do it if I'm able.

Anyway, I'm basically after any tips people have. I've seen dozens of videos on YouTube, which have been great, but are there any hidden little gems or things worth knowing. Also, is there anything that tends to wear out quickly? It's done less than 6K, so I don't expect anything soon, and it's MOT isn't due for another year.

TIA.

The infotainment unit on your W205 will be either the entry-level Audio20 with the (optional) Garmin Map Pilot navigation on SD-Card, or the higher-end COMAND Online NTG5*2 with built-in navigation on an internal hard disk drive.

If you are using the navigation that came with the car, you could consider updating the maps. The process is different, depending on which of the two systems you have.

Also, the navigation will be using the TomTom Live Traffic service, which is free for the first three years but then needs to be renewed. So on your 2017 car it will have expired by now, and unless renewed by the previous owner, it won't be working any more. Again, the renewal process will depend on which system you have.

Alternatively, instead of updating the maps and the live traffic subscription, you can consider fitting Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, which will allow you to use for free Waze / Google Maps / Apple Maps etc, with the maps always up-to-date and live traffic (and speed camera warning). If this is of interest, email your VIN to [email protected] and they will provide you with a quote. They can also retrofit reverse camera, BTW, if your car isn't equipped with one.

Try pressing and holding the voice button for a couple of seconds. This will activate your handset voice assistant and you should be able to make calls.

The infotainment unit on your W205 will be either the entry-level Audio20 with the (optional) Garmin Map Pilot navigation on SD-Card, or the higher-end COMAND Online NTG5*2 with built-in navigation on an internal hard disk drive.

If you are using the navigation that came with the car, you could consider updating the maps. The process is different, depending on which of the two systems you have.

Also, the navigation will be using the TomTom Live Traffic service, which is free for the first three years but then needs to be renewed. So on your 2017 car it will have expired by now, and unless renewed by the previous owner, it won't be working any more. Again, the renewal process will depend on which system you have.

Alternatively, instead of updating the maps and the live traffic subscription, you can consider fitting Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, which will allow you to use for free Waze / Google Maps / Apple Maps etc, with the maps always up-to-date and live traffic (and speed camera warning). If this is of interest, email your VIN to [email protected] and they will provide you with a quote. They can also retrofit reverse camera, BTW, if your car isn't equipped with one.

Thanks. I bought the SD new from Amazon as the car didn't come with one, it's the Garmin Map Pilot navigation. The screen did say something about me not having membership or I'm not subscribed or something, I can't remember. The box that came with the SD card said, "You now have a fully updated and enabled navigation on your Mercedes". But how do I know if it needs updating?

I did an internet search about how to update the card, and it told me to download the "SD navigation manager" which I have done, but then it asks me to log in, but I don't have a log in, gives me no opportunity to register and it doesn't recognise the card.

I do have Android Auto on my phone and my phone is linked to the car, but I have no idea if it's using it or not. Is it automatic? No idea how to check.

Sorry for my ignorance in this, but I've never had sat nav in a car before!

The Voice control is only for the Satnav, not Telephony.

I did see a video where they did use it for telephony, but maybe it doesn't have the feature on my model? I'm not bothered, but it would be nice to use it if I had it.

Try pressing and holding the voice button for a couple of seconds. This will activate your handset voice assistant and you should be able to make calls.
I tried the longer press, but it didn't work.
I installed voice assist on my phone, but I have no idea how it works! All it seems to do is think I'm blind and need assistance with using the phone!
I can answer/end calls with the buttons on the wheel, but that's it.

Press the button and say " telephone" then it should bring the phone options up, call name, call number etc.
Then she'll ask you for options.

Press the button and say " telephone" then it should bring the phone options up, call name, call number etc.
Then she'll ask you for options.

I think I might have tried that, but I'll give it another go. Thanks.

Mine is a 2017 c250 premium plus so might be different, but if I don't say telephone it stays on the radio options/sat nav options etc depending on what it's showing on the current screen.

Mine is a 2017 c250 premium plus so might be different, but if I don't say telephone it stays on the radio options/sat nav options etc depending on what it's showing on the current screen.
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

I have Linguatronic on my S204 with Comand NTG4, when I first got the car (in 2012) I spent an hour or 2 in the car trying to train it to my voice so I could use it, gave up and never bothered since!

I installed voice assist on my phone, but I have no idea how it works! All it seems to do is think I'm blind and need assistance with using the phone!

I’m surprised that didn’t work - it usually works with siri or google.

Regarding the traffic, many (almost all) cards bought from amazon or ebay aren’t genuine and don’t include the traffic code which is embedded on the SD card - which doesn’t explain why you show as having it, I know, but is something to bear in mind.

Thinking about it Ted pressing and holding the button (beep) works on our car (COMAND) but not on our Van (Audio20) so maybe that’s the difference. 🤷‍♂️

There may be a difference (could be version levels) but it certainly works on my SLC with audio20 - with just a bluetooth connection👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

There may be a difference (could be version levels) but it certainly works on my SLC with audio20 - with just a bluetooth connection👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Well that’s interesting to hear. I would be very keen to get the van system upgraded to have this feature so I can instruct Siri to dial a name. Cheers Ted. 👍

Reactions: Ted
Thanks. I bought the SD new from Amazon as the car didn't come with one, it's the Garmin Map Pilot navigation. The screen did say something about me not having membership or I'm not subscribed or something, I can't remember. The box that came with the SD card said, "You now have a fully updated and enabled navigation on your Mercedes". But how do I know if it needs updating?

I did an internet search about how to update the card, and it told me to download the "SD navigation manager" which I have done, but then it asks me to log in, but I don't have a log in, gives me no opportunity to register and it doesn't recognise the card.

I do have Android Auto on my phone and my phone is linked to the car, but I have no idea if it's using it or not. Is it automatic? No idea how to check.

Sorry for my ignorance in this, but I've never had sat nav in a car before!

I did see a video where they did use it for telephony, but maybe it doesn't have the feature on my model? I'm not bothered, but it would be nice to use it if I had it.

Run your VIN through an online VIN decoder, it will show the car's Datacard. Look for the following options:

14U, SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION PACKAGE

15U, PRE- INSTALLATION SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION MB LINK

16U, SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION APPLE CARPLAY

17U, SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION ANDROID AUTO

If you have option 17U, then you have Android Auto. This option will allow you to run Waze or Google Maps on your Audio20 display.

See also:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Without Android Auto, you can still have the phone connected to the car for a variety of functions (voice calls, streaming music, Internet connection, etc), but you won't be able to run Waze or Google Maps through the Audio20 display.

Last edited:
Run your VIN through an online VIN decoder, it will show the car's Datacard. Look for the following options:

14U, SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION PACKAGE

15U, PRE- INSTALLATION SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION MB LINK

16U, SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION APPLE CARPLAY

17U, SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION ANDROID AUTO

If you have option 17U, then you have Android Auto. This option will allow you to run Waze or Google Maps on your Audio20 display.

See also:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Without Android Auto, you can still have the phone connected to the car for a variety of functions (voice calls, streaming music, Internet connection, etc), but you won't be able to run Waze or Google Maps through the Audio20 display.

Thank you. I'll have a look. My phone is connected, and I can make calls, but I have to scroll through menus. I don't want to do that whilst driving, obviously. I would always stop the car to so this. Answering calls is a doddle.

edit: Watching the video, I didn't realise I had to plug it into the USB the first time, I thought it was all bluetooth! I shall try this, thanks.
I did run a VIN decoder, but there was nothing about a data card on it.

Regarding the traffic, many (almost all) cards bought from amazon or ebay aren’t genuine and don’t include the traffic code which is embedded on the SD card - which doesn’t explain why you show as having it, I know, but is something to bear in mind.

When I do a long press, it goes to google, but only on my phone.

Regards your second point, I was sceptical as I knew it would be a generic card, rather than a card that came with the car itself. But it was cheap and it works, so I don't mind. It just would be nice to update it if it was possible and get the best out of it. I can imagine the ones they sell at Mercedes are far more expensive!!

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's help.

Okay, so I've tried everything and watched the video @markjay posted.

Issues:
Pressing the voice button on the steering wheel only goes to navigation and asks me where I want to go/whatever. If I say any other command, it doesn't recognise it. It will not recognise commands like "call", "telephone", "contacts" or anything like that.
I watched the video and I connected the phone via USB, the car recognises the phone, but does nothing. The phone asks "Do you want to just charge/transfer file" (which it obviously always does when you plug it into a USB). I ignored that. I go to the menu on the car, as per the video, but there is no "Android Auto" option. I have android auto installed onto my phone, but I can't open the app on the phone (whether it's connected to the car or not), but the video said I don't need it anyway.
Running the VIN no through a VIN coder comes up with no car data card. Nor does it come with anything even vaguely saying "14U/15U" etc , it's just the car spec.

Sometimes, when I press the voice button on the steering wheel, (maybe it's a long press?), it goes to "open google/alexa" on my phone, but nothing in the car apart from navigation.

Does this simply mean I don't have the facility to make calls? It all seems a bit odd and very frustrating.

Your car probably does not have the Android Auto option.

Again, check on a VIN decoder, if you don't have option 17U, then you don't have Android Auto.

(The 'Android Auto' app on your phone will allow you to use your phone while driving, but it is not related to having Android Auto on the car in order to see the phone's screen on the Audio20 display)

If your car does not have Android Auto, then it can be added (email your VIN to [email protected] for a quote), or alternatively just use the Garmin Map Pilot for navigation, or use the phone in a cradle.

As said, the Audio20 system still supports integration with your Android phone over Bluetooth for voice calls, music streaming, and Internet connection, but without the Android Auto option in the car you won't be able to see the phone's screen on the Audio20 display.

On a related point, the original MB Android Auto option only works when the phone is connected to the car via USB cable, but not via Bluetooth. Some of the aftermarket Android Auto kits do work when the phone is connected over Bluetooth, however.

Hi Rosetta and welcome!

If you go to this link and paste your VIN it will tell you what the car left factory with

If you are unsure what audio system you have, just post a pic and someone will help

Your car probably does not have the Android Auto option.

Again, check on a VIN decoder, if you don't have option 17U, then you don't have Android Auto.

(The 'Android Auto' app on your phone will allow you to use your phone while driving, but it is not related to having Android Auto on the car in order to see the phone's screen on the Audio20 display)

If your car does not have Android Auto, then it can be added (email your VIN to [email protected] for a quote), or alternatively just use the Garmin Map Pilot for navigation, or use the phone in a cradle.

As said, the Audio20 system still supports integration with your Android phone over Bluetooth for voice calls, music streaming, and Internet connection, but without the Android Auto option in the car you won't be able to see the phone's screen on the Audio20 display.

On a related point, the original MB Android Auto option only works when the phone is connected to the car via USB cable, but not via Bluetooth. Some of the aftermarket Android Auto kits do work when the phone is connected over Bluetooth, however.

Thanks. It appears I don't have the Android Auto in the car. It's fine, I don't mind.

Hi Rosetta and welcome!

If you go to this link and paste your VIN it will tell you what the car left factory with

If you are unsure what audio system you have, just post a pic and someone will help
Thank you, that was useful. It gave me a lot of information!

The amount of faffing has been the mildly irritating part to then find out I don't have the option. I can't complain, the spec in the car is 1000 times better than I had in my previous Merc! :)

Thanks again, everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom