new merc fuel consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carguy

Car
Mercedes E class cabrio E220d
Just bought an E Class Cabrio E220d 2016 with 3,200 miles on clock from dealer. Beautiful to behold but the mpg they talk about is a long way from the 32mpg I just got on a full tank. Mixed driving, motorway, busy dual carriageway, a little fast driving, much slow driving with stop/start.
Far cry from the 54mpg they told me about.
Anyone got experience of decent fuel consumption?

You must learn to drive the car as in laboratory conditions :D

Engine still tight, give it another 7k miles

I had the Limo from Virgin back from Heathrow on Friday, and the car was a 2 week old E220. I was asking about the MPG so he reset it in the multi story before we left.

When I got back to my house, 101 miles later in Worcestershire, the car had done 70.6 mpg! WOW.

Even if the computer is a bit out, its still mightily impressive.

No, we weren't going 100+, but we we averaged about 70-80, traffic depending.

If I hadnt seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it.

much slow driving with stop/start.

Try and avoid stopping.

What did you drive before, and what MPG did you get?

There's a knack to getting good MPG from diesel autos - lots of anticipation, "carrying" speed where safe, get your foot off the gas pedal wherever possible.

Any sort of firm, or press-on, driving will absolutely murder the MPG.

Engine still tight, give it another 7k miles

Totally agree - 10k miles makes a huge difference on a diesel.

I assume Philip1972 was in the latest W213 (4 door) E220d? This has the new 2.0 diesel with 9 speed 'box and (I believe) can cruise at 70mph at around 1000rpm - virtually tick over.

I assume Philip1972 was in the latest W213 (4 door) E220d? This has the new 2.0 diesel with 9 speed 'box and (I believe) can cruise at 70mph at around 1000rpm - virtually tick over.

You are correct, 2.0 diesel.

Maybe an Italian tune up would blow the cobwebs away. My CLK 220 mpg drops if I only do shortish runs a quick blast up the motorway sorts it out.

My latest Mpg

My latest Mpg figure on today's drive to Great Ormond Street London

merc85-albums-s211-e320-cdi-7-7-16-part2-picture10109-mpg571.jpg

My mapped 211 e320 cdi

Maybe an Italian tune up would blow the cobwebs away. My CLK 220 mpg drops if I only do shortish runs a quick blast up the motorway sorts it out.

What cobwebs? It's a brand new car. The spiders born at the same time haven't even learned how to spin webs yet!

Agreed, it'll still be tight. Also even driving gently, you can increase your mpg massively with some simple hypermileing tips.

My daughter works there...hope everything is ok.

They are utterly superb up there as you well know, they Saved my Son's life when he was 1 day old,i've raised quite abit for the charity too as my thankyou for all they are doing, he has hirschsprung's disease and it's a on going thing.

The meeting was a discussion when/if he is having his Stoma Reversed as he is 8 years of age. Thankyou again for the concern:thumb:

This is from a W213 2ltr 9 speed auto with 2356 miles on the clock on a very busy A12 and M25. The overall average for the 2356 miles is 61.29 mpg, so the Fuel Trip is very optimistic.......

Attachments

• image-1315960617.jpg
    image-1315960617.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 66

erisaman

I dont know how he did that. My estate 220d w213 has done just over 2k now. Even at 55mph I cannot get over 55mpg. You also have to be doing 75-80 mph to get the box into 9th gear in auto mode(ECO). under really rare conditions you can manually get it into 9th around 75mph. But you have to take your foot off the throttle. If the speed drops anywhere near 70, it will change down to 8th or even 7th. 80mph = 1500rpm. Plus in 9th, dont even think about trying to put your foot down, A bit of throttle does nothing and a lot means it drops down gears quicker than a drop pound coin would hit the floor.

Peter

Last edited:
This is from a W213 2ltr 9 speed auto with 2356 miles on the clock on a very busy A12 and M25. The overall average for the 2356 miles is 61.29 mpg, so the Fuel Trip is very optimistic.......

But that is for 180 miles. A particular journey can always be better that the average overall.

My overall mpg was 45 last year but on some journeys it was over 55.

But that is for 180 miles. A particular journey can always be better that the average overall.

My overall mpg was 45 last year but on some journeys it was over 55.

Cant say Ive driven a 9 gear merc but with any german car I find the top gear not ideal for the UK. They always seams tuning for crousing around 80-85 mph.

If you have poor mpg check tires first. The get an OBD reader and check the running temp (should be at least 80c) and for any error code. The gauge will not help.

Many other thing but these are good starting points. I would expect around 50mpg from any diesel with your kind of driving

i just brought my e220d and am experiencing low mpg approx 143 miles on half a tank so barely 20mpg. never driven auto so might be partly to blame, my wifes brothers are all in the trade and said even though i'm an auto rookie and doing short journeys something is most likely up. taking it in to my local mercedes dealer tomorrow so will comeback with there results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom